Earbuds (yes, not iems) with biggest soundstage, airy and balanced sound like k701?
Jan 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #16 of 41
One thing to keep in mind. Which cushions are on the earbuds greatly affects the sound. The MX580 comes with cushions that are thick but very low in density, which help let the treble through but decreases the bass. If you get thinner more dense earpads, like the ones Radio Shack sells, you will get more bass, however the treble and airiness will be discontinued. To get an idea ibout this effect, while listening to the MX580, press against the backs of the earbuds. You will hear the sound get louder, and the bass to increase, but the treble will decrease.
I don't know where to get extra Sennheiser earpads. I haven't tried to contact Sennheiser. If Sennheiser does sell them directly, they might be expensive.

If you want to try changing the sounda bit, you should try different earpads. They aren't so easy to find(except the Radio Shack ones). I do sometimes swap earpads from other earphones. Unfortunately the dollar store earphones now almost always come without pads. I used to buy them and throw away the earphones just to get the earpads.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 41
i bought a couple of pairs that seem identical to the ones the sennheiser came with. i cut a hole like the one of the back of the cushions into it. thats what clieos suggested and what really brings out bass and clearity just in the right amount.

the k319 pads seem to be more dense. i have not tried them yet. 

now after listening for about 5 hours with the akgs i would go so far, that they are just a very slight step behind their big white brother in terms of clarity and micro details. they are on par in soundstagesize, imaging and separation. and they slightly beat the cans in bass quantity.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
ok, i have recieved the m980s. they are ok, but they are not better than the mx580 in my opinion. they have more of a v shaped sound, while the 580s are more midcentric. the mx980 do not offer more details and that was what i was looking for. you can easily test that with micheal buble "cry me a river". just in the beginning there is a very low piano  playing in the lows and you cannot figure it out with any of the two. so i will give the aurvanas a shot. 

That's good to know. I was always curious about the MX980 but feared they will not fit my small ears. The AKG K319 are to large for example. The rather small MX580 fit nicely. Since the MX980 don't seem to be much of an improvement over the MX580 in your opinion, I'll stick with the MX580 and the Creative Aurvana Air for now.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #19 of 41
well, i already changed my mind after listening to the 980s for a longer period. they are by far superior to the 580 as they show easily more details, have crisper highs and even a superior soundstage and imaging. i will write you a pm in the other forum.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 41
The Sony E888 is apparantly still a current model in parts of Asia. it was discontinued in the US though several years ago.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
That's good to know. I was always curious about the MX980 but feared they will not fit my small ears. The AKG K319 are to large for example. The rather small MX580 fit nicely. Since the MX980 don't seem to be much of an improvement over the MX580 in your opinion, I'll stick with the MX580 and the Creative Aurvana Air for now.

Just by way of comparison are the MX580 considered very small?  I was considering getting those but the pictures I saw made them seem big.  How would they compare size wise to the Sony buds that come with a walkman or the Sony MDR-E10 or E9?  Also the Sony's are all that I have ever used for buds(never use them really) but they are not round but are the MX580 and most buds round or do they all try to shape to ear like the Sony's seem to try to.  It is that odd shape that seems to rub against my ear uncomfortably that is why I ask.  Lastly are there other decent sounding bud style that are very small?  Thanks.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
Lastly are there other decent sounding bud style that are very small?  Thanks.

I can answer this one for you: the Yuin PK series must be the smallest earbuds available. They are very comfortable and almost too small for some people. If Sennheiser earbuds are too big, Yuin will fit just fine. The PK3 is around $40 and the PK2 is around $60...

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind. Which cushions are on the earbuds greatly affects the sound. The MX580 comes with cushions that are thick but very low in density, which help let the treble through but decreases the bass. If you get thinner more dense earpads, like the ones Radio Shack sells, you will get more bass, however the treble and airiness will be discontinued. To get an idea ibout this effect, while listening to the MX580, press against the backs of the earbuds. You will hear the sound get louder, and the bass to increase, but the treble will decrease.
I don't know where to get extra Sennheiser earpads. I haven't tried to contact Sennheiser. If Sennheiser does sell them directly, they might be expensive.

If you want to try changing the sounda bit, you should try different earpads. They aren't so easy to find(except the Radio Shack ones). I do sometimes swap earpads from other earphones. Unfortunately the dollar store earphones now almost always come without pads. I used to buy them and throw away the earphones just to get the earpads.

You can always cut your own donut pads. I usually do that, and it brings some more bass to the music at the same time as treble is not covered up.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 41
Jan 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 41

Quote:
I can answer this one for you: the Yuin PK series must be the smallest earbuds available. They are very comfortable and almost too small for some people. If Sennheiser earbuds are too big, Yuin will fit just fine. The PK3 is around $40 and the PK2 is around $60...

Thanks for this info as I did not know the Yuin's were so small as one of the earbuds I was considering instead of(or addition to) MX580 was the PK3.  The Yuin's seem to get great reviews for sound quality too from what I have read.

Quote:
For smaller earbuds, try the Sennheiser MX581. The MX580 is a bit on the small side, but not very small.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/511784/review-sennheiser-mx580-mx581-fraternal-twins-equally-fabulous

Thanks JK1.  I know from other threads you like the JVC HAS160 as do I but do you think sound quality wise the MX580 is just as good if not better?

Also, do those foam earbud covers sold at Radio Shack fit just about all earbuds?  Or at least most of those mentioned in this thread like MX580, PK3 & AKG 319?  Lastly from looking at pictures most of the other earbuds seem to have round earpieces, both MX580 & PK3 for example.  Are they actually round as compared to what I described with the low budget Sony buds that have somewhat of an odd shape?  Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 41
The MX581 are supposed to be smaller as they are designed for women's ears. Apparently they sound slightly different from the MX580. I haven't tried either (from the newer Mx earbud series, I have just tried the MX880 and MX980 in an electronics store). I can guarantee that the PK2 & 3 are pretty small and much smaller than AKG K319 and older Sennheisers such as MX400...

The PK3 are round. I think that some older earbud designs (late nineties) might have different shapes. I bought a pair of Aiwa HP-V541 earbuds on Ebay. They were sold in the late nineties and the silicone ring on them was oval and felt very uncomfortable. I had a pair of cheap Sony earbuds lying around (MDR-E0931, I think) and took off the round silicone rings from them and put them on the V541. Fit perfectly and now they are much more comfortable!

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #27 of 41
"I know from other threads you like the JVC HAS160 as do I but do you think sound quality wise the MX580 is just as good if not better?"

Good question. The MX580 does have better treble and detail, however the HAS160 has better bass. By changing the earpads on the MX580 to thinner more dense ones, you can increase the bass. I took my HAS160 and pulled the right and left sides past each other a few times to tighten the clamping force. This increased the bass. My MX580 still has the original earpads on it. I know from changing earpads on other earphones how much of an effect on the sound the earpads have. The MX580 earpads a unusually thich and unusually lacking in density.

The Radio Shack earbud earpads should fit all earbuds. I haven't had any that wouldn't fit. It will fit the Sony ones that are not completely round. At around $5 for 2 pairs they are overpriced, however these are much more convenient then buying earpads on the net. One Amazon you can get at least 6 pairs(and perhaps even 12?) for around $5 or so.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #28 of 41
Well I was all set to order the MX580 but newegg now seems to be out of stock.  This must have just happened as I saw them listed there a couple of days ago.  I know I can get them elsewhere like amazon and I may but I have a gift card for newegg.  The only Sennheiser earbud style newegg seems to have now are the MX271, MX370, & MX365.  Is anyone familiar with any of those and if so are they even close to the MX580 in terms of sound quality?   Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #29 of 41
Nice thread.  This style of buds is exactly what I've been looking for these passed couple days.  Something open and airy.  Thanks to everyone for their input and the op for starting this.

Question:  I found the AKG k319 and AT ath-cm707 for about $110 each.. are they really worth the big price jump from the $30 Senn mx580 in terms of soundstage and quality?  I know its subjective but I'd like to zone out and get that "out of your head" sound on my travels.  

I'm also looking at the Creative Air and the pk2's which are both around $75.  Any opinions on those in comparison to the AT and AKGs?

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #30 of 41
I haven't heard the CM707, but I own the CM700 which was the predecessor of the CM707. I bought it for around the same price as you state, and I think it was worth the price. The CM707 might sound different, though. One person here on Head-fi who have owned both the CM700 and CM707 though that the CM700 sounded better.
You can always keep a look out on Ebay for a used pair of CM700 to pop up.
There's also the Sennheiser MX880 which costs around $70. Unfortunately it has got a built in volume control which is a bit bulky. Here's a comparison between MX880 and PK2.

I've got the PK2 and I like them a lot. I got mine off Ebay for around $55. It is from Chinese sellers, but the chance of getting a fake PK2's is very slim since those who make counterfeit versions of earphones in China only concentrate on foreign brands. They seem to almost look down on Chinese brands. Just pick a seller with the best possible feedback and the risk of being cheated is very low.
Anyway, I prefer my CM700 to the PK2, but it is by a very slim margin.

It comes to price versus diminishing returns. The more expensive earbuds will probably be better than the MX580, more refined and detailed, but perhaps not two or three times as good. If you want to go for something that will sound as good as possible for a reasonable amount, you would probably be looking at something that costs close to $100.

I think that the AKG K319 is overpriced @ $100. I bought mine for around $60 and that's a resonable price for them. I find them to be on about the same level as the Yuin PK2. The fit of the PK2 is better and the built in volume control on the K319 can make the buds shift out of position, especially since the fit is a bit big for me...

I would suggest that you first go with the PK2 (but for a lower price than $75). If you like it, you can look at some other options as well. Remember, you can never have too many earbuds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back