Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #286 of 75,077
Quote:
Yep, the MX980 are great. I'm also curious about the MX985, but since the MX980 are so great the MX985 can surely only have cosmetic changes...

I still think that the sony E484 are great. The sound is much more in your face than the MX980, and the soundstage is smaller, but the music still feels layered. The E282 are slightly better than the E484, and I find the old E252 to be even better and very close to the MX980 (and Blox TM7 which sound as good as the MX980). It's sad that Sony made their best earbuds 30 years ago and then each model slowly got worse.

If you have the opportunity, check out Blox ANV3 or TM7. Those are amazing as well!

Thanks.  I probably stop at the MX980 as I don't really need any more phones and my JH13 take care of the portable duties for me.

To my ears, it is more difficult to achieve bigger and deeper soundstage for earbuds or IEMs.  Yes, I'm hearing what you are hearing about the E484.  I love my E484 and that's the primary reason why I held on to two of them for this long.  The E484 and E888 have tremendous sentimental value to me, as they were my constant companion during my college days together with my Sharp MD-SS323 player.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #287 of 75,077
Quote:
Yep, the MX980 are great. I'm also curious about the MX985, but since the MX980 are so great the MX985 can surely only have cosmetic changes...

I still think that the sony E484 are great. The sound is much more in your face than the MX980, and the soundstage is smaller, but the music still feels layered. The E282 are slightly better than the E484, and I find the old E252 to be even better and very close to the MX980 (and Blox TM7 which sound as good as the MX980). It's sad that Sony made their best earbuds 30 years ago and then each model slowly got worse.

If you have the opportunity, check out Blox ANV3 or TM7. Those are amazing as well!

MX985 can be found on Japan much easier than any place, oddly enough. Even with shipping, it comes out around $150 or so and quite good consider its SQ and build quality. Other wise MX985 is just an very difficult to find earbuds, and often severally overpriced by the Hong Kong eBayer.

I don't think Sony makes worst and worst earbuds over the last 30 years, but they just don't want to dedicate the resource to make good earbuds any more and naturally the quality decreased. They surge back for earphone on the recent years but it is for IEM and not earbuds. This is probably true for most brand name and an unfortunate news for earbuds lover.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #288 of 75,077
Quote:

MX985 can be found on Japan much easier than any place, oddly enough. Even with shipping, it comes out around $150 or so and quite good consider its SQ and build quality. Other wise MX985 is just an very difficult to find earbuds, and often severally overpriced by the Hong Kong eBayer.

I don't think Sony makes worst and worst earbuds over the last 30 years, but they just don't want to dedicate the resource to make good earbuds any more and naturally the quality decreased. They surge back for earphone on the recent years but it is for IEM and not earbuds. This is probably true for most brand name and an unfortunate news for earbuds lover.

Well, it is quite sad but IEMs offer better bang for the bucks than earbuds...not to mention some passive noise canceling to boot.   I personally prefer custom IEM myself but will forever have a place for really good sounding pair of earbuds.

May 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #289 of 75,077
Is the list in the first post ordered? i.e does ClieOS prefer Blox TM7 to HiSound Audio Living?

Also would love to see where the MX980 would rank on the list. What are ClieOS thoughts on those?

Thanks

May 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #290 of 75,077
Quote:
Is the list in the first post ordered? i.e does ClieOS prefer Blox TM7 to HiSound Audio Living?

Yes, it is in order of ranking. Also yes, ClieOS does prefer TM7.

Quote:
Also would love to see where the MX980 would rank on the list. What are ClieOS thoughts on those?

MX980 has been discontinued, so ClieOS has no thought on it whatsoever. He does have a pair of MX985 and will add it to the list in time. But for a quick preview, he think it is on par with TM7.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #291 of 75,077
hi ClieOS. i'm new in this. but please help me decide which one i should choose. yuin pk1 (i own fiio e11 to amp it) or hi sound living? i own brainwavz b2, turned out i don't really into analytical type of sound. just found out that i'd prefer earbud rather than iem. thanks b4

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #292 of 75,077
I'm sure that CloeOS can give you good advice, but I'd like to add my views as well.

I don't own Yuin PK1 since I don't like high impedance earbuds, but I've got a pair of PK2 as well as a pair of Hisound audio Living. Overall, I'd say that the PK2 offer a more balanced sound, while the Living have less bass and more detail. The PK1 are better than the PK2, so I'd say that those are an even better choice than the Living.

Are your inner ears big or small (not the ear canals, but the outer parts of your inner ear)? I can recommend the Sennheiser MX985 over both the Yuin PK1 & Hisound audio Living. Or the slightly older MX980. That model is discontinued but you can find it new if you are lucky, or second hand on Ebay. I am sure that there are no fakes of the MX980 sold on Ebay.
The problem with MX980 (also with 985?) is that they are bigger than other earbuds, so if you have smaller inner ears, you will not get a good fit.

I think that the Sennheiser MX980/985 together with the Blox TM7 are the best earbuds around. They are very detailed for earbuds and have good bass and a very open and big soundstage.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #293 of 75,077
I'm sure that CloeOS can give you good advice, but I'd like to add my views as well.

I don't own Yuin PK1 since I don't like high impedance earbuds, but I've got a pair of PK2 as well as a pair of Hisound audio Living. Overall, I'd say that the PK2 offer a more balanced sound, while the Living have less bass and more detail. The PK1 are better than the PK2, so I'd say that those are an even better choice than the Living.

Are your inner ears big or small (not the ear canals, but the outer parts of your inner ear)? I can recommend the Sennheiser MX985 over both the Yuin PK1 & Hisound audio Living. Or the slightly older MX980. That model is discontinued but you can find it new if you are lucky, or second hand on Ebay. I am sure that there are no fakes of the MX980 sold on Ebay.

The problem with MX980 (also with 985?) is that they are bigger than other earbuds, so if you have smaller inner ears, you will not get a good fit.

I think that the Sennheiser MX980/985 together with the Blox TM7 are the best earbuds around. They are very detailed for earbuds and have good bass and a very open and big soundstage.

thanks for the reply. guess imma get mx985 for sure. hope they still have it in jakarta.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #294 of 75,077
Quote:

That's exactly what I have recommended him over PM.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #296 of 75,077
...was trawling about on eBay to see MX985/980 prices and found these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-MX-400-In-Ear-Headphones-with-HARD-CASE-included-/281121288546?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4174227162

Do those casings look familiar at all? :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #298 of 75,077
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #300 of 75,077
Just out of curiosity, how did the MX760 sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back