Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 30, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #61,726 of 75,077
OH yeah that bass vent works alright. A bit...too well. The bass was distroted, but insanely heavy and actually gave me the thought of subbass being there. Im assuming that is just the bass being too heavy but I had to add a bit of foam to balance it out inside the venting system. It worked, and it made the bud become more neutral with a nice clean bass elevation. Its a very nice shell, and I think I am going to continue experimenting more with it :)

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #61,727 of 75,077
Hi, I have gone through about 2 pairs of Bell LBBS within 6 months, and as much as I like the earbud, I want something that won't die on me.

Both ended up having some distortion and the current one I have is having it on the right earbud.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for some buds that have a similar sound signature and tonality around ~$60. I would prefer if they were not 15.4mm drivers since the fitment kind of hurts me. I am using some faaeal rosemary's atm but I have to take them off at times.
I would be using either a laptop or the Qudelix 5K as my source at home (I listen to it for the majority of the day, and while working as well)

I listen to a lot of genres, from rap, hip hop, r&b, alternative, dream pop, game ost, anime ost, some latin, city pop.

I would prefer 3.5mm but 2.5mm is okay if the earbud itself is better than the other options.

Cable doesn't matter much, as long as it isn't prone to static and is somewhat durable.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #61,728 of 75,077
Hi, I have gone through about 2 pairs of Bell LBBS within 6 months, and as much as I like the earbud, I want something that won't die on me.

Both ended up having some distortion and the current one I have is having it on the right earbud.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for some buds that have a similar sound signature and tonality around ~$60. I would prefer if they were not 15.4mm drivers since the fitment kind of hurts me. I am using some faaeal rosemary's atm but I have to take them off at times.
I would be using either a laptop or the Qudelix 5K as my source at home (I listen to it for the majority of the day, and while working as well)

I listen to a lot of genres, from rap, hip hop, r&b, alternative, dream pop, game ost, anime ost, some latin, city pop.

I would prefer 3.5mm but 2.5mm is okay if the earbud itself is better than the other options.

Cable doesn't matter much, as long as it isn't prone to static and is somewhat durable.

I have an earlier version of these small, 14.3mm wooden earbuds - https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832803822151.html
They fit well, and sound good.
Since they're MMCX, you can choose a cable for your application, i.e.- Single-Ended with Mic ; Single-Ended without Mic ; Balanced.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #61,729 of 75,077
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #61,730 of 75,077
I find that Smabat is unique in the way they tune their buds. There seems to be some forwardness in the upper-mids, lower-treble region which you either hate or learn to acquire a taste for. I am loving my M3Pro (which I did not at first) and while I am still burning it in, my ST-10s Gold. These seem more balanced, though the unmistakable Smabat sound is still there.

I really do hope Smabat gains some traction and survives what is becoming a competitive segment!

Just when I decided to pull the trigger on their site. It stated Alipay was the only payment method... I mean, do they expect everyone from the world would register Alipay, just to pay for their crowdfunding project?!

I guess we can wait...

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #61,731 of 75,077
Just when I decided to pull the trigger on their site. It stated Alipay was the only payment method... I mean do they expect everyone from the world would register Alipay just to pay for their crowdfunding project?!

I guess we can wait...

Their last crowdfund, the ST20/ST20 Pro accepted paypal when I funded it. Hmmm seems they may have changed it, ya Alipay is a hard pass for me.

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #61,732 of 75,077
Hello to all.

As usual, I'd like to share my humble opinion on some earbuds that I've always wanted to purchase. I finally made up my mind and was able to buy the iconic Earbuds Anonymous, thanks to the fact that I have been a member of their Facebook group for years, at a bargain price.

Here is my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earbuds-anonymous.25938/reviews#review-28800

Earbuds Anonymous 25_r.jpg

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #61,733 of 75,077
I finally had to bite the bullet and quite painstakingly transferred my ꟻ⅃ATHEAD TIME⅃IИƎ to a publicly shared Google doc.

The timeline is now searchable and I do believe in a much friendlier reviewing format now. I will gradually expand this document to include dedicated timelines for specific brands and additional data sets and points related to flatheads. Let me know what you all think, negative or positive, I do not mind as I take constructive criticism well and will seriously mull over and thoughtfully consider any/all complaints, ideas, corrections, changes, etc. Please let me know of any access issues; thank you.

The timeline is now at 2,536!!! only a few hundred more to go as I know there are a good number of some missing junk models from Panasonic, JVC, Philips, etc. and a fair number of custom DIY models from small shops across the globe that the timeline needs to capture.

So without further ado I present:

FLATHEAD TIMELINE by WoodyLuvr

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #61,734 of 75,077
I finally had to bite the bullet and quite painstakingly transferred my ꟻ⅃ATHEAD TIME⅃IИƎ to a publicly shared Google doc.

The timeline is now searchable and I do believe in a much friendlier reviewing format now. I will gradually expand this document to include dedicated timelines for specific brands and additional data sets and points related to flatheads. Let me know what you all think, negative or positive, I do not mind as I take constructive criticism well and will seriously mull over and thoughtfully consider any/all complaints, ideas, corrections, changes, etc. Please let me know of any access issues; thank you.

The timeline is now at 2,536!!! only a few hundred more to go as I know there are a good number of some missing junk models from Panasonic, JVC, Philips, etc. and a fair number of custom DIY models from small shops across the globe that the timeline needs to capture.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17e-hSsj5Gu1KrycCvLETCK3VbMaV_IhXnE_Ibp2z50U/edit?usp=sharing
Superb work.
A round of applause and thank you very much for sharing.
Really, it can be a unique reference list for earbuds lovers.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #61,736 of 75,077

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17e-hSsj5Gu1KrycCvLETCK3VbMaV_IhXnE_Ibp2z50U/edit?usp=sharing
We are not worthy! Thanks @WoodyLuvr! Such a labour of ❤️!

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #61,737 of 75,077

Just WOW! I like the way it is presented too. Great job!

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #61,738 of 75,077
OH yeah that bass vent works alright. A bit...too well. The bass was distroted, but insanely heavy and actually gave me the thought of subbass being there. Im assuming that is just the bass being too heavy but I had to add a bit of foam to balance it out inside the venting system. It worked, and it made the bud become more neutral with a nice clean bass elevation. Its a very nice shell, and I think I am going to continue experimenting more with it :)
I'd want without foam for full on basshead 😁

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #61,739 of 75,077

thank you for such a great work!

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #61,740 of 75,077
I find buds to be perfect for in the office. I typically have 1 bud in so I can hear office chatter or if anyone needs me for anything/question. Also good spatial awareness just because I am not at home. Easy to quickly remove one if needed and quickly set back onto the ear. Picked up 4 pairs so far this year, each have their own little thing that I love.

FYI, if anyone has a Blur Wraith in 4.4 termination collecting dust, I would love to own one :)
In a totally unrelated note... (not sure how to properly do this)
I saw in your signature that you have inorvin Hanna? what's your thought on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back