Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #60,962 of 74,611
15th April is the 2nd anniversary of the passing our respected friend and earbuds enthusiast Hungry Panda, who sadly passed on from covid that was contracted while working in the line of duty (at a hospital).

Hungry Panda.JPG

He was a very friendly and nice guy on this forum, extremely approachable and humble, and it is a big loss to the audio world to lose him. Here's to a minute's memory of our friend, who will not be forgotten!
He's one of the guys that got me into earbuds. I'll miss him a lot.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #60,963 of 74,611
He's one of the guys that got me into earbuds. I'll miss him a lot.

Indeed, actually I was very anti earbud prior to meeting him and his wife mbwilson111 (hope she is doing okay).

Back then I was quite snotty and looked down on earbuds and thought they were a cheap afterthought that was bundled free with smartphones. They were the ones that convinced me to give a try for earbuds, and here I am today still using earbuds!

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #60,964 of 74,611
As to earbuds that are BT (OOTB) only a few exist to my knowledge; Apple Air (most versions), and Sony Linkbuds. Bose went away from their open design of the Sound Sport Free which were open but directed into the ear like the Apple buds. None of these, BTW, are/were budget. Most TWS occupy themselves with being BT IEMs (though any Google search will wrongly show you all of these as earbuds).

IMHO if you want great BT earbuds, get a great pair (whether DIY or retail), and get some BT adapter like the Fiio UTWS or iBasso CF01, etc...

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #60,965 of 74,611
Hi,
I really liked the fit and comfort of the old Bose quiet comfort, so I'm looking for half-in-ear earphones.
I saw topics about the memt t5, but nothing else (expected for TWS)
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Hey I would recommend any of the Huawei FreeBuds models like the FreeBuds 3 or 4 ANC (not the In-ear versions), you can maybe find the FreeBuds 3 sold around 80$ on Amazon or other websites, then there is the JBL Tune 225TWS that are a good choice as well, but only if you find them for sale at around 50-80$ at their full price of 100$ it's not so good value for money. JBL Tune 205BT are good bluetooth (not TWS) non In-ear earbuds for around 10-40$. The Apple Airpods 2nd and 3rd Gen are not good value for money since they are quite expensive at 150-200$ but they do their job as comfortable TWS earbuds (sound quality per $ sucks though), there is also the Sony LinkBuds 180$, but just like the AirPods they are overpriced and expensive while having below average sound quality.

You could use any of the great value for money wired earbuds that are recommended and talked about in this thread, there are many good earbuds to choose from and they will sound better than any of these bluetooth models I've mentioned, here a couple of good cheap ones you could try: QianYun Qian39 10-15$, Yincrow X6 15$, Vido earbuds (new silver logo model) 1-5$, NiceHCK EB2S 25-30$, K'sEarphones KLBBS 40-60$.

You can find them all sold on AliExpress at different sellers for example NiceHCK Audio Store for X6, EB2S and KLBBS. Ollivan Earphones Store for Qian39 and Daylight Digital Store for Vidos.

The wireless earbuds are sold on different stores like Amazon or Sony, JBL, Apple and Huawei's own websites.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #60,966 of 74,611
Hi to all the people!

Can you recommend me high impedance drivers please?

If you can attach the link of the driver that would be nice :). I will appreciate any recomendation a lot guys, seriously a lot
Hi there! I found some drivers sold on AliExpress at XinYue Audio Store, but I haven't used them so can't comment on the sound quality. There is three different models I found called: 150ohm "Bass" drivers, 150ohm "Vocal, for classical music" drivers and 300ohm "Warm Vocals" drivers. You could try any of those, the seller also sells lots of different DIY earbud materials like different shells etc.

150ohm "Bass"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_allProduct.8148356.20.63df522752hdbP

150ohm "Vocal, for classical music"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_allProduct.8148356.15.81575d52le7gca

300ohm "Warm Vocals"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_allProduct.8148356.45.3cd5283akhKcR6

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #60,967 of 74,611
Hey I would recommend any of the Huawei FreeBuds models like the FreeBuds 3 or 4 ANC (not the In-ear versions), you can maybe find the FreeBuds 3 sold around 80$ on Amazon or other websites, then there is the JBL Tune 225TWS that are a good choice as well, but only if you find them for sale at around 50-80$ at their full price of 100$ it's not so good value for money. JBL Tune 205BT are good bluetooth (not TWS) non In-ear earbuds for around 10-40$. The Apple Airpods 2nd and 3rd Gen are not good value for money since they are quite expensive at 150-200$ but they do their job as comfortable TWS earbuds (sound quality per $ sucks though), there is also the Sony LinkBuds 180$, but just like the AirPods they are overpriced and expensive while having below average sound quality.

You could use any of the great value for money wired earbuds that are recommended and talked about in this thread, there are many good earbuds to choose from and they will sound better than any of these bluetooth models I've mentioned, here a couple of good cheap ones you could try: QianYun Qian39 10-15$, Yincrow X6 15$, Vido earbuds (new silver logo model) 1-5$, NiceHCK EB2S 25-30$, K'sEarphones KLBBS 40-60$.

You can find them all sold on AliExpress at different sellers for example NiceHCK Audio Store for X6, EB2S and KLBBS. Ollivan Earphones Store for Qian39 and Daylight Digital Store for Vidos.

The wireless earbuds are sold on different stores like Amazon or Sony, JBL, Apple and Huawei's own websites.
I would have to agree with most of what you said, except that the Linkbuds sound is below average. In fact, I find them to sound much better than average for a TWS (especially one that only has SBC and AAC) to my surprise. I would put them up there with some of the best true earbuds out there (being also a true earbud, not going into the ear at all). That being said, they are definitely very expensive. I don't know if I would deem them way overpriced, given the new design, tech, size, etc... AFAIK these are the first, and only classic style earbuds combined with TWS.

All of the others aren't true earbuds because they still go partially into your ears. Though I am nitpicking I suppose, because they are still pretty much open like earbuds, so I guess we could call that one a wash... :) As for myself, I really liked the design of the Bose sport semi-in-ear design they used to use, and only wished they were tuned better. They were so comfortable, yet open(ish), but sounded pretty bad (to me).

Apr 18, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #60,968 of 74,611
I would have to agree with most of what you said, except that the Linkbuds sound is below average. In fact, I find them to sound much better than average for a TWS (especially one that only has SBC and AAC) to my surprise. I would put them up there with some of the best true earbuds out there (being also a true earbud, not going into the ear at all). That being said, they are definitely very expensive. I don't know if I would deem them way overpriced, given the new design, tech, size, etc... AFAIK these are the first, and only classic style earbuds combined with TWS.

All of the others aren't true earbuds because they still go partially into your ears. Though I am nitpicking I suppose, because they are still pretty much open like earbuds, so I guess we could call that one a wash... :) As for myself, I really liked the design of the Bose sport semi-in-ear design they used to use, and only wished they were tuned better. They were so comfortable, yet open(ish), but sounded pretty bad (to me).
Hey samandhi I guess I was being too harsh on the LinkBuds, what I meant is that they are not good sounding for their cost of 180$ and they have bad sound quality per dollar value in my opinion, generally though compared to other TWS yeah the sound quality is not that bad. I tried them before and really wanted to like them since the cool open like design, but I found that the fit didn't work for me and there was some discomfort after using them a couple of hours, also the bass frequencies were lacking (I know it's common in earbuds world to lack bass and have sound quality affected by bad fit) so the sound quality wasn't worth it for me at 180$ and maybe they sound better to others with no fit issues, so I got a refund on them perhaps in the future they make a LinkBuds v2.0 with better SQ and comfort.

I can still use many earbuds like the MX500 shell type ones just fine and other IEMs as well with no comfort issues though. The Huawei FreeBuds 3 & 4 (non Pro) are non In-ear earbuds and same with the AirPods v2 & v3 (non Pro) also are shaped like the original old Apple earbuds or any MX500 shell ones that are non In-ear, same with the JBL T205BT and T225TWS, but if you mean none of the other earbuds are openback styled like the Sony LinkBuds then yeah technically they still go in your ear a little bit, but that's why it's also called half-In-ear LOL!

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #60,969 of 74,611
Hey samandhi I guess I was being too harsh on the LinkBuds, what I meant is that they are not good sounding for their cost of 180$ and they have bad sound quality per dollar value in my opinion, generally though compared to other TWS yeah the sound quality is not that bad. I tried them before and really wanted to like them since the cool open like design, but I found that the fit didn't work for me and there was some discomfort after using them a couple of hours, also the bass frequencies were lacking (I know it's common in earbuds world to lack bass and have sound quality affected by bad fit) so the sound quality wasn't worth it for me at 180$ and maybe they sound better to others with no fit issues, so I got a refund on them perhaps in the future they make a LinkBuds v2.0 with better SQ and comfort.

I can still use many earbuds like the MX500 shell type ones just fine and other IEMs as well with no comfort issues though. The Huawei FreeBuds 3 & 4 (non Pro) are non In-ear earbuds and same with the AirPods v2 & v3 (non Pro) also are shaped like the original old Apple earbuds or any MX500 shell ones that are non In-ear, same with the JBL T205BT and T225TWS, but if you mean none of the other earbuds are openback styled like the Sony LinkBuds then yeah technically they still go in your ear a little bit, but that's why it's also called half-In-ear LOL!
No, no. If it is your opinion that they don't sound very good, then you are right (for your ears), and I would never try and argue that point... :) That being said, they DO fit me nicely, and therefore I get the intended sound profile. They do lack some sub-bass, but they actually have more overall bass than most classic earbuds do. I was more suprised though at the treble tuning. Being only AAC or SBC, it shocked me that there was some good clarity in the treble.

I did have some discomfort in the beginning when I first got my Linkbuds also, but after a few weeks with them, I no longer do and can listen to them till the battery runs out. I used to put full foams from earbuds over them and that helped, but I no longer need those either. :)

Again, you are right, and I WAS being nitpick(y) about the definition of earbuds.... The kind of open I was talking about, was nothing going into your ears not half, nor full. While the half in-ear buds can sound pretty good, you still lose a ton of staging and that open earbud/headphone sound that they are known for IMO. Either way those are some pretty good recs for TWS.

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #60,970 of 74,611
Hello everyone :)

I've been watching this thread for a while and having gotten my hands on a set of KSC75s recently I've considered trying out some earbuds for a similar portable experience.

I have heard of a few recommendations, K's LBBS and Nicehck EB2S to name a few but I'm unsure if these are still relevant. I'm interested in a neutral ish sound signature though I'm honestly not too fussy - I'm mostly just interested to see how good quality earbuds sound.

Are those earbuds still worth buying in 2022? If not, could I please get some recommendations under £50.

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #60,971 of 74,611
I just received the PAC earbuds which are currently free with most Penon or ISN cable purchases, they are really quite good especially being free! The sound is full (especially with foams), relatively balanced, good stage and timbre, very good imaging, slightly mellow but not overly smoothing the details to achieve it.

If you’ve been thinking about buying a cable this is a great time to take advantage of the site wide sale and get a good pair of buds for free.

Attachments

• A3E585E9-D0E0-48EE-B4BC-4E0CA5E43A74.jpeg
    A3E585E9-D0E0-48EE-B4BC-4E0CA5E43A74.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #60,972 of 74,611
I just received the PAC earbuds which are currently free with most Penon or ISN cable purchases, they are really quite good especially being free! The sound is full (especially with foams), relatively balanced, good stage and timbre, very good imaging, slightly mellow but not overly smoothing the details to achieve it.

If you’ve been thinking about buying a cable this is a great time to take advantage of the site wide sale and get a good pair of buds for free.
What cable is that? I've had to cut off the heat shrink to allow straight down wear.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #60,974 of 74,611
Cable that comes with Smabat M3 Pro.
I have been trying to buy Smabat replacement cables and can't seem to find them. I wrote to Smabat, and their reply was indirect at best. They replied with a link to their website and to look for all that I might need there. I assume that means they can't be bought without purchasing earbuds, since I found nothing there regarding replacement cables.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #60,975 of 74,611
I have been trying to buy Smabat replacement cables and can't seem to find them. I wrote to Smabat, and their reply was indirect at best. They replied with a link to their website and to look for all that I might need there. I assume that means they can't be bought without purchasing earbuds, since I found nothing there regarding replacement cables.
Sadly you seem to be correct. I think their cables would be popular if they were well priced.

As it is I recommend contacting XinHS on AE to customize some cables without earhooks for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back