Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #59,101 of 75,130
is there a bud u guys would recommend for about 150$ CAD? I'm not super versed in the earbuds sphere but I've had a Kaiser 10 iem for a couple years now that i love the sound of but I cannot stand the fit so I almost never use them. No matter what tips I use from foams to spin fits it just irritates the inside of my ears so bad after just a little while of listening regardless of shallow or deep insertion. most IEM's I've tried from the Klipsch x10, Weston 3umx/4, Shure 535, Aurisonics asg 2/2.5 did the same but that Kaiser 10 has made it such a point that I have basically lost all interest in trying to use IEM's anymore.

As a result I just want an earbud that sounds pretty decent so I could listen to music away from my desk without my ears hurting. obviously even the best earbuds wont be able to even compare to the iems I'm familiar with but at this point comfort is worth about 100x more then sound for me which is extremely weird to say as an audiophile. anyways my only real reference points for earbuds are those 10$ Sony buds they sell at Walmart which are probably the worst things I've ever heard and the original apple buds which sounded pretty decent in my memory but I haven't listened to them in like 9 years, so hopefully a 150$ CAD earbud would be slightly better then those. for music i listen to everything besides country but I have a soft spot for female vocals and enjoy forward Mids. thanks.
Blur PK32 is in that price range and it’s a TOTL kind of sound. The shell is very comfortable for most people, the resolution is extreme, the FR is flat and extended on both ends, and it can be driven to ear bleeding levels with a 1V output. It’s cable is stiff and microphonic however. With a clothing clamp is improves for activity.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #59,102 of 75,130
Blur PK32 is in that price range and it’s a TOTL kind of sound. The shell is very comfortable for most people, the resolution is extreme, the FR is flat and extended on both ends, and it can be driven to ear bleeding levels with a 1V output. It’s cable is stiff and microphonic however. With a clothing clamp is improves for activity.
Last I know, the pk32 is nowhere near the $150 CAD range. Its more around $269 SGD ($250 CAD)

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #59,103 of 75,130
Are you able to order from AliExpress? Penon should be able to do it. SMABAT should be able to do it. I’ve had great service from Penon and SMABAT. AE is usually pretty good.

It's been a while since I ordered earbuds from Penon, but I did buy the LZ A4 Pro earphones on 12-Nov, and they shipped from Hong Kong to Houston, TX in 10 days, via DHL.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #59,105 of 75,130
cool thanks for the recommendations! think ill pick up a pair of those Newbsounds and an X6 just as a backup and to give me a comparison point for 4he newbsound.
I second the X6 rec, but maybe hold off on other and more expensive buds before you try them. X6 are warm, slightly bassy buds so easy to recommend and work future recommendations from. After then you might want more highs, more bass, more warmth, soundstage, etc..

That's where I started... and honestly, haven't touched my X6s for a while. Still good, but I've got ones that suit my preferences better now.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #59,106 of 75,130
It is more common for people to use smabat drivers in mx500 shell than to use universal drivers in smabat shell.
Ah yeah, forgot the mx500 stem acts as a bass vent as well lol. Still interested in these smabat shells for longevity + ease of tuning.

I'll check out the DIY thread for recommended drivers.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #59,107 of 75,130
Seems Smabat just made a post on FB today about the SMABAT ST20 hitting the crowdfunding targets:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/135840535288493/posts/231912322347980/

I didn't get any news since paying for the ST20 crowdfund though, but I think it was advertised to be released in jan/feb 2022, keeping fingers crossed.
To add to this:

I received an email from service@smabat.com around 1:30AM my time today asking me to provide my phone # for shipping purposes. I responded as requested, and I also asked whether I can get a cable terminated 4.4mm balanced. In any event, it seems things are proceeding nicely.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #59,108 of 75,130
To add to this:

I received an email from service@smabat.com around 1:30AM my time today asking me to provide my phone # for shipping purposes. I responded as requested, and I also asked whether I can get a cable terminated 4.4mm balanced. In any event, it seems things are proceeding nicely.
I also just went to the crowd funding order page link that was provided upthread...it shows the ST 20 priced now at $128 and the Pro at $316. https://www.smabat.com/collections/hifi耳机/products/crowdfunding-st20-st20-pro?variant=41664977567913

Must be close to release.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #59,111 of 75,130
Received my lbbs recently, have tried stuffs like chaconne, smabats, blurs, but gotta say the lbbs is incredibly well-rounded.

Though eq is certainly not needed, they respond well to eq. Most comfy shell i have encountered thus far + able to wear these both downwards and iem-style. Last but not least, doesnt make a hole in my wallet!

Would gladly say lbbs is my endgame "general purpose" bud :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #59,112 of 75,130
Received my lbbs recently, have tried stuffs like chaconne, smabats, blurs, but gotta say the lbbs is incredibly well-rounded.

Though eq is certainly not needed, they respond well to eq. Most comfy shell i have encountered thus far + able to wear these both downwards and iem-style. Last but not least, doesnt make a hole in my wallet!

I was listening to my LBBs for about 3 hours non stop today. I could not take them out of my ears.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #59,113 of 75,130

Agreed. Score another round for @RikudouGoku!

What I like about them:
- Packaging doesn't usually factors into my evaluation very much, but the packaging is very impressive! And nice collection of foams, plus the ear hooks.
- Cable is very nice.
- Form factor of the buds themselves is great.
- SQ is wonderful. It's only been a day, but yeah, they're keepers :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #59,114 of 75,130
Been listening to the Newbsound 32pro for the last few days. Here are a few somewhat random impressions and thoughts from someone with very little earbud experience.
  • Earbuds are to IEMs what open headphones are to closed headphones. Just a completely different, more open and in many ways more natural sound. If you're an IEM person who does some listening in quiet environments and doesnt want to buy new headphone gear (a HP amp and DAC), I don't see why you wouldn't own some earbuds.
  • @irv003 is a pleasure to deal with. Super responsive and helpful.
  • I was expecting more bass roll off on earbuds, given the lack of seal. These actually rumble a bit! Similarly treble extension is better than I was expecting.
  • Overall the the tuning is good with some but not too much warmth. There's just one peak I hear around 4k to 5k that gets a little hot sometimes on some tracks.
  • Better resolution than I was expecting at 75 dollars. Maybe more like 200 to 300 dollar IEM resolution?
  • I have the impression that timbre is influenced by the housing material of an IEM/HP/earphone. Wood (ZMF or JVC) reproduces wood timbre like guitars and cellos very well. Metal does metal instruments like brass better. I don't have scientific proof, and could be full of crap, but that's how I've heard things. The 32pro are lightweight plastic, and one weakness I hear is that the timbre is a little plasticky. I wonder if denser material would produce a denser tone?
  • Once you overcome the fact that they're earbuds and not IEMs, they're very comfortable. Super light.
  • Cable is microphonic.
  • Overall, I think the 32pro are an audio steal for 75 dollars and I would think a great entry point to the world of earbuds. I would be interested to hear what @irv003 could do trying to go a little upmarket with improved housing.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #59,115 of 75,130
Been listening to the Newbsound 32pro for the last few days. Here are a few somewhat random impressions and thoughts from someone with very little earbud experience.
  • Earbuds are to IEMs what open headphones are to closed headphones. Just a completely different, more open and in many ways more natural sound. If you're an IEM person who does some listening in quiet environments and doesnt want to buy new headphone gear (DAC and Amp), I don't see why you wouldn't own some earbuds.
  • @irv003 is a pleasure to deal with. Super responsive and helpful.
  • I was expecting more bass roll off on earbuds, given the lack of seal. These actually rumble a bit! Similarly treble extension is better than I was expecting.
  • Overall the the tuning is good with some but not too much warmth. There's just one peak I hear around 4k to 5k that gets a little hot sometimes on some tracks.
  • Better resolution than I was expecting at 75 dollars. Maybe more like 200 to 300 dollar IEM resolution?
  • I have the impression that timbre is influenced by the housing material of an IEM/HP/earphone. Wood (ZMF or JVC) reproduces wood timbre like guitars and cellos very well. Metal does metal instruments like brass better. I don't have scientific proof, and could be full of crap, but that's how I've heard things. The 32pro are lightweight plastic, and one weakness I hear is that the timbre is a little plasticky. I wonder if denser material would produce a denser tone?
  • Once you overcome the fact that they're earbuds and not IEMs, they're very comfortable. Super light.
  • Cable is microphonic.
  • Overall, I think the 32pro are an audio steal for 75 dollars and I would think a great entry point to the world of earbuds. I would be interested to hear what @irv003 could do trying to go upmarket a little more with improved housing.

This is good information! Have you tried wearing the buds over-ear instead of straight down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back