Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #59,071 of 75,148
and the cousins,

X6 and Vido Black

EE375259-477B-4423-B4DC-6DF9698C1F53.jpeg

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #59,072 of 75,148
^^Imma have to seriously consider the Newbsound 32Pro.....maybe, hahaha. I simply do not want a "collection" of gear that sit unused. I almost listed the Penon BS1 Officials I received not even 2 weeks ago simply to avoid that, LOL. Speaking of which, I am glad I didn't, because I am actually enjoying the BS1. I find them to be a pleasant listen, inoffensive, and more resolving than I had anticipated. I occasionally miss sub bass rumble when I watch certain movies, but that's not the BS1's fault. Earbuds being earbuds, hahaha.

***Just curious, has anyone heard of movement regarding the smabat ST20 development? I know at least a few of us in this thread funded that "pre-order."***

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #59,073 of 75,148
^^Imma have to seriously consider the Newbsound 32Pro.....maybe, hahaha. I simply do not want a "collection" of gear that sit unused. I almost listed the Penon BS1 Officials I received not even 2 weeks ago simply to avoid that, LOL. Speaking of which, I am glad I didn't, because I am actually enjoying the BS1. I find them to be a pleasant listen, inoffensive, and more resolving than I had anticipated. I occasionally miss sub bass rumble when I watch certain movies, but that's not the BS1's fault. Earbuds being earbuds, hahaha.

***Just curious, has anyone heard of movement regarding the smabat ST20 development? I know at least a few of us in this thread funded that "pre-order."***

I rotate BS1 and LBBS mostly now while working due to their comfort and very pleasant tuning - easy to listen for ages and continue with my work.

Haven't heard anything on the ST20 but I figured it was to be a 2022 thing - maybe we will hear something before Christmas.

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #59,074 of 75,148

You need it 😁 , heard from smabat that st20 and st20 pro will be released January or February of next year

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #59,075 of 75,148
Don't worry, the Chaconne are not the friendliest to fit because they have this linear angle from the 'face' of the buds which isn't really ergonomic. Combined with the heavier titanium shell and the extended stems, there's just a lot of weight without a lot of grip to deal with.

I used to have really bad fit with Chaconne, but now it's improved using HieGi full foams (which also adds warmth to them and gives them a nicer balanced tonality imo). My tip for putting in earbuds is to find the angle or position of your head where they tend to fall out. For me, this is when I look up. Then, put your head in that position and insert them where they feel the most secure -- in my instance, they're angled a little diagonally so that the stem sits in the 'notch' of your ear down by the earlobe (intertragic notch). I try to get them as angled down as much as possible so theres less torque from the weight of the stem + cable to rotate them down and out of your ear. You want to avoid having the stems facing too far forward and up.

So by securing the buds in the position they're most likely to fall out in, then returning to a neutral position, they should be pretty stable. YMMV but that's what works for me
Thank Mr. n00b (obviously do not mean to offend!) Tried reading the manual just in case but I do not know chinese-so the section on the fit was only helpful because it more or less showed how it should fit. Matching that picture to your statement above of what you do managed to do the trick. Just shaking my head and indeed they stay in place and sound GOOD. And even when they shift a bit, it is very easy to fix it now. So even with the stock foams they work well despite my flawed ear anatomy (compared to the "standard".) Indeed I just think it has been user error all along-using earbuds is not as intuitive as I thought. But yes, I tried reading what you wrote many times until I got what you meant, and they are staying in place, with minimal shifts here and there. So thank you for "fixing" my bad Chaconne fit!

The treble extension of the Chaconne is amazing. Beautiful, natural tone. I have not done any AB tests but it does match or exceed my better treble headphones/IEMs. One of my best 'phones to be sure. Its only con in my view is they are earbuds, but that also has its advantages.

Looking forward to trying whatever accessories I can to ensure the fit is near unmovable. However, I was able to walk and take the subway without them becoming too much of a hassle (minus the non-isolation-I have better earphones for the subway but wanted to give the Chaconne a hard, practical test, as they were very difficult to enjoy until I better understood your post.)

I will see if I can find the foams you suggested in the US-haven't searched yet.

Happy holidays! 🎻

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #59,076 of 75,148
Thank Mr. n00b (obviously do not mean to offend!) Tried reading the manual just in case but I do not know chinese-so the section on the fit was only helpful because it more or less showed how it should fit. Matching that picture to your statement above of what you do managed to do the trick. Just shaking my head and indeed they stay in place and sound GOOD. And even when they shift a bit, it is very easy to fix it now. So even with the stock foams they work well despite my flawed ear anatomy (compared to the "standard".) Indeed I just think it has been user error all along-using earbuds is not as intuitive as I thought. But yes, I tried reading what you wrote many times until I got what you meant, and they are staying in place, with minimal shifts here and there. So thank you for "fixing" my bad Chaconne fit!

The treble extension of the Chaconne is amazing. Beautiful, natural tone. I have not done any AB tests but it does match or exceed my better treble headphones/IEMs. One of my best 'phones to be sure. Its only con in my view is they are earbuds, but that also has its advantages.

Looking forward to trying whatever accessories I can to ensure the fit is near unmovable. However, I was able to walk and take the subway without them becoming too much of a hassle (minus the non-isolation-I have better earphones for the subway but wanted to give the Chaconne a hard, practical test, as they were very difficult to enjoy until I better understood your post.)

I will see if I can find the foams you suggested in the US-haven't searched yet.

Happy holidays! 🎻
Once you get the silicone rings, you may want to try putting the rings on then and the foam over those. That may help if your ears big enough for them both.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #59,079 of 75,148
IMG_20211129_135015.jpg

IMG_20211129_135241.jpg

IMG_20211129_135454.jpg

IMG_20211129_135549.jpg

IMG_20211129_135527.jpg
ShoonTH ESEP-01BL mini review:

Non-sound: Microphonic cable, plastic/metal shell, inferior to MX500 shells in comfort/fit for me.

Sub-bass: poor extension and lack of rumble, doesn’t have much quantity and lacks texture, not particularly fast or tight despite the low quantity.

Mid-bass: A little bit elevated, decent texture is on the tighter/faster side.

Mids: Warm vocals, good tonality with both male and female, forward as well. Pretty clean as well.

Treble: warm vocals but is airy, not peaky but well-tuned.

Technicalities: Average soundstage, but impressive imaging and separation. Detail is average.

Overall: I don’t really think it is worth the price of around 30 usd. Its only a bit better than buds around 10 usd technically, and tonality wise at least for my library is inferior to those buds (Yincrow X6 & Faaeal Iris 2.0 for example). You are better off getting the K´s LBBS instead or sub 10 usd buds.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #59,081 of 75,148
mac os users. I'm happy to report that sound source has been in continual, active development with improvements and updates. Would be great if there was something like wavelet for iphone!

SoundSource.png

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #59,082 of 75,148
I ended up *re-buying* the Fiio EM5 because of the black friday sale and I think it sounds better than what I originally thought the first time I got them, but they still are congested sounding. The vocal timbre is just not on the level of moondrop chaconne or LBBS, it is too husky sounding to the point of near buzziness. It does seem to resolve pretty well, or at least I get a better sense of microdetail than some of my other buds, but I think it can get fatiguing and are for sounds I don’t really care about or value. For instance, snares have a snappier sound to them and more texture, I can hear the echo/reverb of them a little better than say, the Newbsound 32pro. But when I compare to the Newbsound 32pro, the EM5 has slightly less bass quantity, extension, impact, and texture. And 32pro vocals are sweeter/not as dry, have a more natural timbre and the treble is smoother (although, combined with the bigger bass, its harder to make out microdetail).

So I’m not sure what the EM5’s niche is. The tuning is.. odd, but not.. bad, but at $200 it doesnt do bass as well as $75 newbsounds or vocals as well as $320 chaconne. I am not sure what to make of it. I have not done any burn in, so I’ll start doing that now, but because it is the worst fitting bud I own, I don’t know if I’d keep it AGAIN haha. I just wanted to try it again because it was getting so much praise in this thread that maybe I missed something the first time. Who can EM5 pill me?
I'm sure you already know about these files, but I only listen to my em5's eq'd

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbud-target-curve-tests.944006/post-16199568

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #59,084 of 75,148
which one do you use? There are like 5-6 different files.
There are 2 variants for 3 files:
1. compensation across most of the listenable spectrum
2. compensation only to 10k

The 3 files are:
1. FixedBandEQ = 10 band Graphics EQ settings
2. PEQ = parametric settings
3. wavelet = settings for the android wavelet app (part of the autoeq project, but my file is compensated to my earbud target v1.5)

I use the PEQ file, full spectrum

edit:
Here's what the full spectrum bass peq file is doing:

fiio em5.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back