Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #57,946 of 75,075
Recently got into IEM's big time. Actually traded away almost all of my HP's and put together a decent selection (BLON, CCA, Tin, Tripowin, Planamic, iSine, and high end Earsonics S-EM9). Really have no experience with earbuds and bought a pair of FAAEAL Ancestor just to dip my toes in the water. I was pleasantly surprised that they sounded pretty good (when amped). Reading through this thread and trying to sort through all the info is a little tough. Any chance some of you could recommend a few in the sub $30 category (I'd like to order a few to try without spending big bucks) and where to buy them? I will be using them 95% of the time with my home setups (Topping DX7 Pro, JDS EL amp, Liquid Spark, Musical Fidelity M1HPA). Any help and guidance greatly appreciated!

K's LBBS for a slightly higher price tag (around $40) when they are on sales.
I wouldn't recommend spending on ultra-budget sets ($4 and below) unless you are going to test their shapes or sound signatures.

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #57,947 of 75,075
I’d recommend the Yincrow X6. They are good, fun and cheap.
Thank. That was one I was planning on. I realize that I'll likely have to purchase from Ali and then wait for delivery. There are a few options from Amazon and was wondering if you, or anybody, has thoughts on...

Moondrop Nameless
Moondrop Shiro Yuki White Snow
Faaeal Snow Lotus
Faaeal Iris Commemorative

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #57,949 of 75,075
Recently got into IEM's big time. Actually traded away almost all of my HP's and put together a decent selection (BLON, CCA, Tin, Tripowin, Planamic, iSine, and high end Earsonics S-EM9). Really have no experience with earbuds and bought a pair of FAAEAL Ancestor just to dip my toes in the water. I was pleasantly surprised that they sounded pretty good (when amped). Reading through this thread and trying to sort through all the info is a little tough. Any chance some of you could recommend a few in the sub $30 category (I'd like to order a few to try without spending big bucks) and where to buy them? I will be using them 95% of the time with my home setups (Topping DX7 Pro, JDS EL amp, Liquid Spark, Musical Fidelity M1HPA). Any help and guidance greatly appreciated!

Easy recommendation: Yincrow RW-9, I may be on the wrong side of history with this one but I much prefer it over the X6. It feels more refined to me, and does not lack for bass.

Thank. That was one I was planning on. I realize that I'll likely have to purchase from Ali and then wait for delivery. There are a few options from Amazon and was wondering if you, or anybody, has thoughts on...

Moondrop Nameless
Moondrop Shiro Yuki White Snow
Faaeal Snow Lotus
Faaeal Iris Commemorative

The FAAEALs do soundstage and mids/treble remarkably well for their pricepoint. Either the Snow Lotus or the Iris CE will treat you well, just be prepared for underwhelming bass. Aside from that they are beautiful sounding buds.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #57,951 of 75,075
I also prefer the RW-9. Good recommendation

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #57,952 of 75,075

I'd recommend you RY4S Plus everytime. They have such a great bass (without being muddy nor overshadowing the other frequencies) that you'll find difficult to believe that sound comes from an earbud.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33038850404.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7edb4e20BsSabc&algo_pvid=92a797ce-b622-48aa-a716-93cff61df76d&algo_exp_id=92a797ce-b622-48aa-a716-93cff61df76d-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"67288551786"}

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #57,953 of 75,075
I'm on my 5th day with EM5, left them burning in as much as possible. I love them - definitely not an all-rounder, they struggle with some of my more energetic electronic music but fantastic with atmospheric/space ambient, modern classical, field recordings, jazz, some electro to name a few genres. I'll delve deeper with other genres over the weekend. I've been wearing them on and off today for almost 8 hours while working, they are so light and zero fatigue - most of my IEMs hurt after a while, definitely couldn't wear them the way I have EM5 all day like this...

EM5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #57,955 of 75,075
I'm on my 5th day with EM5, left them burning in as much as possible. I love them - definitely not an all-rounder, they struggle with some of my more energetic electronic music but fantastic with atmospheric/space ambient, modern classical, field recordings, jazz, some electro to name a few genres. I'll delve deeper with other genres over the weekend. I've been wearing them on and off today for almost 8 hours while working, they are so light and zero fatigue - most of my IEMs hurt after a while, definitely couldn't wear them the way I have EM5 all day like this...

EM5.jpg
I try and remind myself not to listen too loud. I can wear earbuds all day and night and enjoy music. It’s nearly as comfortable as speakers—well in truth I’ve never worn speakers. :wink: Even the MX500 shape, which is the least comfortable shaped bud in my ear, can stay for hours on end and even through sleep. Retaining our hearing into senior years is a good goal IMO. Listen with caution

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #57,956 of 75,075
I try and remind myself not to listen too loud. I can wear earbuds all day and night and enjoy music. It’s nearly as comfortable as speakers—well in truth I’ve never worn speakers. :wink: Even the MX500 shape, which is the least comfortable shaped bud in my ear, can stay for hours on end and even through sleep. Retaining our hearing into senior years is a good goal IMO. Listen with caution

Yes wise words and I have indeed fallen into the trap with IEMs in particular of pushing the volume up too high - only a few weeks ago, a mix of tip rolling and excessive volume drove the need to take a break for a few days as my ears were quite sore! While working, I have very relaxed ambient music playing and relatively low - perfect with buds as I've found this week. I shudder to think of hearing damage that would impact my ability to listen to music!!!

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #57,957 of 75,075
Easy recommendation: Yincrow RW-9, I may be on the wrong side of history with this one but I much prefer it over the X6. It feels more refined to me, and does not lack for bass.

The FAAEALs do soundstage and mids/treble remarkably well for their pricepoint. Either the Snow Lotus or the Iris CE will treat you well, just be prepared for underwhelming bass. Aside from that they are beautiful sounding buds.
+1 Definitely a step up!...Couldn't agree more!:thumbsup:

LOL!...And if someone mentions that they stop making the RW-9 since last year, don't believe it! That's a bunch of bull***. I live in China and there's still plenty of RW-9 being sold in and out of China. So, step right up and get sum! :yum::thumbsup:

-Clear

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #57,959 of 75,075

ClieOS, the one that started this thread and well respected for his many reviews and accurate comments on the matter said this about the Yincrow RW-9..."And I quote"​

"RW-9 is probably best described as the mid ground between the more V-shaped sounding X6 and the slightly mid focus RW-777. It is still slightly V-shaped, but with a much better textured and detailed vocal range, making it the best balanced sound signature in the whole Yincrow lineup. While the overall SQ is about the same as RW-777 (which is about upper mid to lower high in my book), I actually prefer it over RW-777 as it is much more versatile when it comes to different music genres. All and all, I'll call it a win for Yincrow, especially since it is priced cheaper than RW-777."

Just click below to read his statement...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-14261807

So in other words, the Yincrow RW-9 is the "best bang for the buck" out of the Yincrow line-up if you're on a budget!

Cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back