Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #57,842 of 75,148
IMG_4870.jpgIMG_4877.jpg
M2s Pro with the new FiiO LC-RC cable matches really well imo
This looks very nice. How about SQ improvement in your thought over the stock one?

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #57,844 of 75,148
oh i just found this, probably a skip then.
dont like such vocal presentation.
I haven’t found that to be the case for me at all. In fact SMABAT has the largest soundstage I’ve heard in a bud. I think the way these things fit in an individual’s ear plays a role in soundstage.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #57,846 of 75,148
Currently enjoying CD quality streaming of the Vishtèn (French-Canadian folk music group from Prince Edward Island and the Magdalen Islands) album Terre Rouge, from Qobuz, listening to my Wong Kuan Wae "Blur 266 MX150" (150-Ω, 2.5mm TRRS) earbuds. Signal Path:
Onkyo DP-X1B DAP (UAPP / Qobuz - Bit Perfect) [Balanced] -> [Balanced] S.M.S.L. sAp-9 Amp [Balanced] -> MX150 earbuds
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/terre-rouge-vishten/s46up7uoswvfa

I listened to the samples.
They remind me of The Corrs.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #57,847 of 75,148
oh i just found this, probably a skip then.
dont like such vocal presentation.
To clarify I meant that only in my informal brief unscientific comparisons to other earbuds. It is leagues ahead in soundstage relative to my more expensive IEMs and lower tier buds. I still highly enjoy and recommend them. Don’t take that to mean they sound congested because they dont

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #57,849 of 75,148
Now we are going somewhere, this is the minimum 'sort of' portable.
Those Smabat are difficult to drive just as Sennheiser hd800.
20210918_193301_HDR.jpg

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #57,851 of 75,148
I listened to the samples.
They remind me of The Corrs.

I also like the Corrs. Most of their music that I've heard, has more of a pop/rock sound - but they do perform some traditional Irish tunes.
The one thing I find unique about the French-Canadian groups, is their use of "foot" percussion.
Le Vent du Nord is another group (all guys) that play French-Canadian folk music. There's at least one concert video on the Shrewsbury Folk Festival YouTube channel.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #57,852 of 75,148
you already have apple earpods, or airpods? the airpods are pretty good, easily the best tuned buds out of everything in my signature. they're more resolving than the yincrow rw9/x6, but the yincrows have more audible bass.

Id buy the yincrow rw9, same as the X6 but with a more warm- neutral tuning, whereas the x6 is just warm. rw9 has better tuned, tighter bass imo. timbre and resolution is pretty much the same for both.

The only good thing about my X6's breaking (after approx 4 months of continuous use - I like them that much) is that it prompted me to stuff the rw9's back into my ears. Love those suckers.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #57,853 of 75,148

Had these (K's Earphone K300 & Qigom White Lotus S300) for quite a while now, but haven't really had the chance to really enjoy them since even my LG V50 didn't seem quite enough to drive these to a good enough level. It didn't really make sense for me to spend more money on a more powerful source just for 2 cheap earbuds since I don't like headphones, and most of the IEMs and earbuds I like are fairly easy to drive.

Got a JCALLY JM10 recently, and finally started to enjoy these a bit more... well, at least one of them. K300 has a warm neutral tuning with fairly good technicalities all round, and is quite enjoyable to listen to. S300 is... just warm and thick with a lot of mid bass and lower mids, not much upper mids or treble (not sure if i have a faulty pair or maybe it still needs even more power to shine?). Not sure if both of them still have room to scale, but at least with the JM10, I find myself using the K300 a lot more often these day.

:L3000:
so a bit of an update to this post. I flashed the JM10 with Sonata BHD V2.0 firmware so instead of doing their "dynamic self-adaptive" output, it now seems to just do fixed max output. I'm not sure exactly how many levels/steps or how fine adjustments it was originally able to do, but after flashing the update and with it running full power all the time, I think the White Lotus S300 now sounds better. Still warm and thick, but the bass seems a bit tighter, mids seems more forward, and upper mids and treble seems to have improved as well. I can't quite A/B test since there is no way to easily revert the firmware and I'm not going to buy another one just to test this, but I distinctly remember the upper frequencies sounding a bit lacking when running the S300 on JM10 (stock firmware) through a tone generator. But with the JM10 (with BHD firmware), it seems better now. K300 on the other hand still sounds somewhat similar to me, and it's still a bit cleaner and leaner sounding. So now i think both are pretty nice in their own way, at least if you don't factor in their prices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot 2021-09-19 at 10.20.43.png

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #57,854 of 75,148
A thought occurred to me and I just wanted to throw this out here: if you are dissatisfied with the tonality of the buds you have purchased, it is so easy to change the balance. For instance, if your buds are too bright, try HeiGi foams. If your buds are too dull, check out VE foams. If those are too extreme, there are plenty in the middle. I can tune about any bud to sound close (enough) to my 650 just by changing foams. In the case of the SMABAT, they can become a fairly similar sound but with deeper bass with the right filter and foam combo. Maybe the best thing About earbuds is how easy and cheap they are to tune. You look at how much trouble it is to tweak IEMs or any kind of Princess Leah looking Can. There’s just nothing as cheap and easy to tweak as buds. Especially if you are concerned with consistency. On ear earphones would be as easy, but there are nowhere near the selection of foams and they generally cost more(though still doable). Changing pads on cans is COSTLY. Almost every pad change costs as much as a nice set of buds. If you’re not tweaking your buds to match your preferences, you are missing out. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back