Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #57,736 of 75,119
Unfortunately, that is appearing to be more and more the case. Sad. Here is my ordeal if you haven't already read about it. I too have a volume (loudness) mismatch as well.

Sorry to hear that, but at least we know we're not alone!

But I feel like I'm especially unlucky, 3 out of 5 chinese earbuds I've bought have build issues! This is a very bad percentage in my opinion.
  • ve monk plus - no problems
  • diy nickhck mx500 - no problems
  • FAAEAL Datura Pro - the drivers just popped out and stopped working
  • MrZ Tomahawk - drivers became loose, I was able to super glue it back before it stopped working.
  • LBBS - 1 side treble is broken
What percentage of Chinese earbuds have gone bad for you? Is this an issue for anyone else?

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #57,737 of 75,119

But I feel like I'm especially unlucky, 3 out of 5 chinese earbuds I've bought have build issues! This is a very bad percentage in my opinion.
  • MrZ Tomahawk - drivers became loose, I was able to super glue it back before it stopped working.
What percentage of Chinese earbuds have gone bad for you? Is this an issue for anyone else?
For earbuds it's been mostly not too bad for me. JieTu DIY MX500 MMCX with huge channel imbalance, NiceHCK traceless loose/rattling driver (though glued it back in place and it was fine). Not sure if i can add in Faaeal Iris CE since my unit sounds a bit off and nothing like what others have described. This is out of maybe over 20+ earbuds?

I know how it feels though. I've ever been "lucky" enough to get 3 iPhone 11 in a row with obvious specks of dust under the camera lens, one of them even had a ding on the frame straight out of the box. Apple took them back each time without fuss of course, but gave up after the 3rd time and got a refund instead. maybe it was early batches or what not, waited a few month before trying again and it was perfectly fine. :sob:

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #57,738 of 75,119

SHOZY BK (Black) 3.5mm version is restocked now .​

https://penonaudio.com/shozy-bk-black.html

:)
SHZOY BK3.5mm.jpg

Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #57,739 of 75,119
Where can I find more information about this brand?
Not really a brand, newbsound earbuds are made by Bisoy Sinan, you can find him through the Earbuds Anonymous facebook group or on instagram @newb_bisoy. I believe he only started selling his creations this year, so there isn't a ton of information out there.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #57,741 of 75,119
do you find the mids to be recessed, or vocals distant compared to instruments?
I really don’t to be honest—at least not in a profound manner. In fact our impressions of these drivers are significantly different and it makes me wonder what filter you have in it. Right now mine are filterless in the M2s pro shell and I have to say that are as close to perfect as I’ve ever heard a bud. Pretty darn neutral sounding and extended on both ends. Certainly mellower that the 150 Ohm driver. These buds really sound beautiful. I’d put them in my #1 slot right now followed by the 150 Ohm driver, but they are really, really close. In fact, whichever one of those two I’m listening to is my favorite lol. They are both in a class above anything else I own. I wish I had tried the 150Ohm drivers with some filters in the M2s Pro shell. I’d bet they can be perfected with filters in those Shells. Hopefully @samandhi Gives it a shot.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #57,743 of 75,119
I should add that in the M0 shells the Super One driver seems much brighter than the 150 Ohm. It’s just the opposite in the M2s Pro shell. They both sound better with filters IMO in the M0 shell.

Ive actually had very good luck with the buds from China. Not 1 dud yet though I did break a 40 Ohm SMABAT driver after exchanging it many times. Other than that my SMABAT stuff has fit like a glove after I figured out how to connect it all properly.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #57,744 of 75,119
I really don’t to be honest—at least not in a profound manner. In fact our impressions of these drivers are significantly different and it makes me wonder what filter you have in it. Right now mine are filterless in the M2s pro shell and I have to say that are as close to perfect as I’ve ever heard a bud. Pretty darn neutral sounding and extended on both ends. Certainly mellower that the 150 Ohm driver. These buds really sound beautiful. I’d put them in my #1 slot right now followed by the 150 Ohm driver, but they are really, really close. In fact, whichever one of those two I’m listening to is my favorite lol. They are both in a class above anything else I own. I wish I had tried the 150Ohm drivers with some filters in the M2s Pro shell. I’d bet they can be perfected with filters in those Shells. Hopefully @samandhi Gives it a shot.
Lol I have not touched filters at all. I’ll give it more testing but right now my 150s sound pretty perfect in the regular shell config. As in, all I did was unscrew the stock 40ohm drivers and slap in the golds. For my super ones I bought the spare shell and spare driver so I’m not sure if the filters are installed actually. I’ll look into it soon since my bell ti plus arrive any day now loool

edit: ok there are filters in my spare shell I ordered. Why’d you decide to remove the filters? I’m kind of reluctant to do so since I didn’t buy the $10 kit of filters

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #57,745 of 75,119
Not really a brand, newbsound earbuds are made by Bisoy Sinan, you can find him through the Earbuds Anonymous facebook group or on instagram @newb_bisoy. I believe he only started selling his creations this year, so there isn't a ton of information out there.
I've been interested in newbsound buds for ages! Too bad the maker doesn't ship to outside CONUS. If/when he does, I'll be sure to grab a pair. Looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #57,746 of 75,119
Alright so initial findings after removing the filters on my spare M2s pro shell with the super one: it just makes the bass even less controlled. Starting to sound buzzy/flabby. Switching to donut foams tamed this down a bit, so I'm going to settle for this config:

M2s Pro Shell - no filter (would probably prefer the +mids filter) - Donut foam - (probably pure silver cable).

I don't think it's worth doing any of this filter/foam/cable rolling when you can just buy M2s Pro Shell + golden driver + cable and call it a day, which is what I recommend.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #57,747 of 75,119
Ok thanks for the suggestion, time for me to try and record this on my cell phone with 1 hand.

What will you show them as video evidence ? I ordered LBBS from same store and i'm about to receive mine in a few days. So this QC issue has gotten me worried now.

I had a bad experience with Aliexpress, few months ago I received an Bluetooth earbud that had QC issue, constant disconnections, Dim volume sound. I opened a dispute and asked for partial refund. I also showed video evidence of sound constantly cutting off while playing the tracks. It absolutely pissed me off at how Aliexpress judgement changed my dispute proposal from partial refund to Return item to seller and get full Refund. That's not what i had asked for. Also there was no option left for me to write anything on the dispute page besides entering a tracking number. I had no option but to lose the dispute because i couldn't return it to seller. So i wouldn't keep much faith in Aliexpress next time i face a QC issue with any of my purchases from there.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #57,748 of 75,119
@n00b : One of the coolest part about the SMABAT is the ability to tune its acoustics. I removed the filters to increase bass—just for fun as I had a filter set that could replace the originals. I ended up liking the bass boost even though it does make it a bit flabbier (flabby people have more fun 🤩 or so I’ve been told) And it does seem to also boost 1-3khzwhich can be the system’s biggest fault IMO. the 1-3k boost wasn’t something I noticed right away because I was mostly focusing on the bass. What I am noticing right now—but I’ve only heard it on a Crosby, Stills, Nash song is a vocal formants are still a bit boosted For absolute perfection. It’s mild. All the filters have been designed to tune the vocal formants range so I’m sure there’s one that will optimize that range for my hearing—or at least the odds are pretty good with 4 different options. CSN or CSN&Y, Joyner Lucas and Eminem expose The region well. Pushing their vocals to the edge of comfort at high(ish) volumes should be just about right.

The filters may be why your vocals seemed recessed with the Super One. A different one might be a better option. I’m betting it comes with the #1 installed. Tuning these things it part of the fun for me. The combo of the right foam, filter, driver and shell for audio bliss…. I may start with the number 2 filter based on your description. Were you going foamless at first?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #57,749 of 75,119
Nah I was using full foams as a baseline, then went donut after removing the filter. I believe it comes with #1 filter in its regular configuration. I will eventually toss in a filter set in one of my aliexpress orders, and maybe a pure silver cable (although I probably cant hear differences between copper, spc and silver re: bass response). I'm also going to try source matching to see if my sony DAPs vs AK DAP makes a difference. Overall, the Super One in M2s Pro shell is not bad by any means, but cost wise I don't think its 2x as good as the golden driver and theres a lot of experimenting/rolling involved that can be fun for some but bothersome for others

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #57,750 of 75,119

Out of nearly three hundred earbuds surprisingly only a handful had serious mechanical and/or tuning QC issues. I have had a higher percentage of issues/failures with IEMs than with earbuds or headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back