Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #56,716 of 75,073
1627858558281.png
Daniel Tompkins - Castles
Everybody good? Got quiet in here. Figured I'd keep the introspective motif going with a little progressive pop...felt like a pretty solid inaugural album for the 3.5mm Traceless. It definitely takes advantage of that extra power from the Monolith THX 788, but still a bit bass-light to really enjoy this kinda stuff. It's a very mid-focused set of earbuds. However, the snare decay I'm hearing on Cinders is fantastic; fantastic snap.

And I'm getting better with my foam skills for sure. Only took me about a minute this time around with the included thick foams. Confidence is building!

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #56,717 of 75,073
And I'm getting better with my foam skills for sure. Only took me about a minute this time around with the included thick foams. Confidence is building!​
Have you started doing the pre-install 6-way foam stretch?

For extra points pick up a small (4-5") set of hemostats.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #56,718 of 75,073
Have you started doing the pre-install 6-way foam stretch?

For extra points pick up a small (4-5") set of hemostats.
Nope. Don't hydrate them, either. My buds are probably going to get cramps :p

I just grab a ballpoint pen from the desk and run it around the inside perimeter to stretch that inner fold out a bit. From there, I can usually get one corner to wrap around the back of one side of the earbud and I can work the rest around from there. For a while, I tried to flip the outer foam around the bud, but I'm too much of a butterfingers to make it work that way. Might revisit that technique in the future, though.

But I do happen to know exactly where the wife keeps her hemostats. Might be worth giving a go. Thanks for the rec!

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #56,719 of 75,073
Nope. Don't hydrate them, either. My buds are probably going to get cramps :p

I just grab a ballpoint pen from the desk and run it around the inside perimeter to stretch that inner fold out a bit. From there, I can usually get one corner to wrap around the back of one side of the earbud and I can work the rest around from there. For a while, I tried to flip the outer foam around the bud, but I'm too much of a butterfingers to make it work that way. Might revisit that technique in the future, though.

But I do happen to know exactly where the wife keeps her hemostats. Might be worth giving a go. Thanks for the rec!
Yeah, pre-stretch helps a lot. After I can get usually pick the edge of the foam up and get it over one side, then just work them on from there.

I only use the hemostats when I double foam something. Lets me pick up and adjust the outer foam position (usually a donut foam).

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #56,720 of 75,073
Maybe I missed it, by the way, but has anybody done a breakdown on the different tips in the VE packs? I'm sure the idea is just "see what happens," but would be nice to have that info as a resource.

WoodyLuvy's useful post about foams/cushions
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3513#post-16207702

For the VE ex-pack, there are 3 types of foams:

1. thin porous foams - these will alter the sound the least
2. regular foam - more denser, if you have earbud which is bright or analytical or thin, you can try these, they may add a bit more body and fullness
3. donut foams - you keep the bass but the hole will allow the mids/treble to breathe

How to distiniguish (1) and (2), if you hold the foams against the window during daylight, you can clearly see that foam #1 is more see-through. For my ears, the porous foams also have a different feel, I think they have more of a spongy texture.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #56,721 of 75,073
Yeah, pre-stretch helps a lot. After I can get usually pick the edge of the foam up and get it over one side, then just work them on from there.

I only use the hemostats when I double foam something. Lets me pick up and adjust the outer foam position (usually a donut foam).
Sounds like a similar technique to threading sutures. Clever thinking.

PXL_20210802_005309497.jpg
Chick Corea - The Musician

Definitely shows off the technical abilities of the Traceless a bit more. Jazz lovers, take note. This ain't bad...
WoodyLuvy's useful post about foams/cushions
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3513#post-16207702

For the VE ex-pack, there are 3 types of foams:

1. thin porous foams - these will alter the sound the least
2. regular foam - more denser, if you have earbud which is bright or analytical or thin, you can try these, they may add a bit more body and fullness
3. donut foams - you keep the bass but the hole will allow the mids/treble to breathe

How to distiniguish (1) and (2), if you hold the foams against the window during daylight, you can clearly see that foam #1 is more see-through. For my ears, the porous foams also have a different feel, I think they have more of a spongy texture.
Perfect! Thanks a bunch :)

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #56,722 of 75,073
I’m just testing to see if this will work. This is what I fell asleep to last night. Pretty cool arrangements of times pieces played very well to say the least. The Little Bear loves this stuff.

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/21259381

Thanks brother. I appreciate that. For the 10 busiest months, I went back and forth from the CCU to the COVID ward, sometimes following the same set of patients if they’d decline or improve. I’m sort of proud of the fact that I had the first pandemic patient to survive ECMO. Things were wild back then and the fear was real. The patient’s family also had it and it was very mild for them. I was sleepless and praying. “There are no atheists in foxholes”. I’m hoping the worst of it is over, but still some other coworkers have gotten sick in spite of vaccination. None hospitalized though. Stay safe out there(all of you)! For seemingly random people, this stuff is a nightmare. For others: no big deal.

Stay safe friend!

I also work in health care and the past few months have been quite crazy due to covid. One of our most respected and esteemed members here, who was a healthcare worker (HungryPanda), unfortunately lost his life to covid a few months back, very sad news for all of us and a big loss to this hobby. So please take care.

I used to bring my IEMs and earbuds to the hospital where I work to listen during lunch hours, but the past few months, I've left my gear at home. I mainly use wired connections and I see covid or suspected covid cases not unfrequently. I'm paranoid the cables can trap some viruses (formite) at the workplace, so it isn't fun to wipe down the cables and IEMs, or worse still, bring covid back home. Wireless stuff is an option, but they don't sound as good as wired sources haha, so sometimes once you have heard something, it is not easy to unhear it and step back down.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #56,724 of 75,073

Attachments

• EC18F182-4916-4BBD-A56C-42B1222F7C65.jpeg
    EC18F182-4916-4BBD-A56C-42B1222F7C65.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #56,725 of 75,073
Yes, concur. That is a dated review comparing & discussing older early models from well over three years ago. Willy's original tuning was different plus he tuned by request and often as @chinmie intimated.
Oh. So I think maybe this explains it. Haha. I find the Willsound mkii have better detail retrieval than the X6. But since they are warm sounding earbuds they won’t have the same detail retrieval like the Viridis and the Onmyoji. But for fans of warm sounding earbuds , I highly recommend the both the X6 and the mkii’s.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #56,726 of 75,073
Stay safe friend!

I also work in health care and the past few months have been quite crazy due to covid. One of our most respected and esteemed members here, who was a healthcare worker (HungryPanda), unfortunately lost his life to covid a few months back, very sad news for all of us and a big loss to this hobby. So please take care.

I used to bring my IEMs and earbuds to the hospital where I work to listen during lunch hours, but the past few months, I've left my gear at home. I mainly use wired connections and I see covid or suspected covid cases not unfrequently. I'm paranoid the cables can trap some viruses (formite) at the workplace, so it isn't fun to wipe down the cables and IEMs, or worse still, bring covid back home. Wireless stuff is an option, but they don't sound as good as wired sources haha, so sometimes once you have heard something, it is not easy to unhear it and step back down.
I too thank all those that have been considered front-liners (and even some that don't get that credit, but are there nonetheless). For myself, I have been considered a front-liner by some, but absolutely nothing compared to what most have had to endure. During the pandemic I have been tasked with programming and fixing building automation/temperature controls for isolation rooms.

From existing wings in hospitals, to other hospitals that either have converted, or built whole new wings, I have simply been around it, and those that have had it in these rooms. But, I have not had to deal with being close to, or seeing suffering on the same level that others have. But my experience affords me the knowledge that gives me appreciation for those that ARE a lot closer than myself.
Hi all! Wonder if I could get your kind help for an earphone recommendation here.

I love the sound of the Nicehck Traceless w/out foams (w/ mic). In earphones I also own Auglamour RX-1 (which I also like w/ foams), Moondrop Nameless, Yincrow X6, Headroom MS16, Qian39, VE Monk...yea budget stuff.

I'd like better earbuds and my guess is I would also like the Nicehck DIY MX500 and EBX21, and the Moondrop Chaconne. Does that sound right and do you have any other recommendations? Thanks :) :)
Read this and fill this form:
  • source (using a DAC/AMP/DAP/PC/smartphone/streamer; audio file type including bit & sample rate)
  • preferred connection (termination type e.g. 3.5SE/4.4TRRS/2.5mm; single-end vs balanced; mic/no mic)
  • listening level & time (volume, and for how long?)
  • listening environment (mobile/office desk/home desktop/listening room)
  • preferred sound signature (bright; flat/neutral; balanced/natural/smooth; dark/warm; extra bass/bassy; L/U/V-shaped)
  • preferred genre (rock, heavy metal, pop, classical, OST, hip-hop, R&B, Korean-Pop, EDM, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.)
  • preferred shell type (depends on your ears and personal comfort; please see here)
  • preferred brand (only applicable if asking for a model recommendation within a single brand)
  • price range (probably the most important; what are you willing/looking to spend?)

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #56,727 of 75,073
I'm addicted to the HE150 Pro, it's just the most overall pleasant earbud to listen to that I've heard except maybe my 1more E1008 which I baby, which is a bit similar, but the peizo offers a very distinct sparkle without any siblance I've heard nowhere else, I just baby it since I don't feel confident replacing the cable if it breaks!

I've had the smabat m2 pro with gold 150 ohm driver (very bright, made folk punk/alt rock too sibalent, even if it's the most technical detail I've heard from an earbud, nicehck mx500 diy (quite nice overall, excellent for the price),
qian69 (a previous favorite), qian39 (I need to order new ones, can't remember what they were like),
nicehck b40 (my favorite for relaxed listening, podcasts, youtube, anything with a chance of badly recorded and sibalent vocals, currently missing mine, it was my favorite nicehck and I'm sad it's disonctinued, the pk shell is my favorite),
monk plus (mediocre, overrated, worst cable in any earbud I've listened to),
smabat m0 with it's stock and the titanium dome 40 ohm driver (still not sure about this one, I like the shell comfort and DIY fun, but may need to play with tuning more, it has big potential)
It's odd, it seems I enjoy a slightly dark tonality in earbuds, but prefer neutral-bright in iems, both sound close in my opinion (dark earbud vs neutral-bright iem)

Any PK shell recommendations? I've of course got to get the Yincrow X6 given everyone's recommendations, the earpod style RW-100 is pleasant btw, I didn't listen to it a lot as it was a gift to a friend who prefers that style, but it was lovely and warm from what I did hear!

I will add, once more to rant about the 1more E1008, I think due to the treble sorcery, it has immense treble clarity with no distortion even at higher volumes, and treble heavy tracks that also have bass at the same time due to treble, and has much more subbass extension than any other earbud I've heard, period, it's an overall dark tonality, and bass can give me a headache, but that airy spacious open backed headphone feel is amazing.
I find the HE150 Pro to be the best /overall/ earbud I've listened to, even if it's bass doesn't extend as far, it's a less dark tonality, closer to the Nicehck B40, only with much more clarity and detail, the technical ability of the E1008 feels higher due to that unique piezo, but the dark tuning makes it a very warm earbud with a lot of treble extension, with no siblance, a basshead earbud that doesn't compromise in quality anywhere else, so long as one doesn't mind the tonality.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #56,728 of 75,073
I'm addicted to the HE150 Pro, it's just the most overall pleasant earbud to listen to that I've heard except maybe my 1more E1008 which I baby, which is a bit similar, but the peizo offers a very distinct sparkle without any siblance I've heard nowhere else, I just baby it since I don't feel confident replacing the cable if it breaks!

I've had the smabat m2 pro with gold 150 ohm driver (very bright, made folk punk/alt rock too sibalent, even if it's the most technical detail I've heard from an earbud, nicehck mx500 diy (quite nice overall, excellent for the price),
qian69 (a previous favorite), qian39 (I need to order new ones, can't remember what they were like),
nicehck b40 (my favorite for relaxed listening, podcasts, youtube, anything with a chance of badly recorded and sibalent vocals, currently missing mine, it was my favorite nicehck and I'm sad it's disonctinued, the pk shell is my favorite),
monk plus (mediocre, overrated, worst cable in any earbud I've listened to),
smabat m0 with it's stock and the titanium dome 40 ohm driver (still not sure about this one, I like the shell comfort and DIY fun, but may need to play with tuning more, it has big potential)
It's odd, it seems I enjoy a slightly dark tonality in earbuds, but prefer neutral-bright in iems, both sound close in my opinion (dark earbud vs neutral-bright iem)

Any PK shell recommendations? I've of course got to get the Yincrow X6 given everyone's recommendations, the earpod style RW-100 is pleasant btw, I didn't listen to it a lot as it was a gift to a friend who prefers that style, but it was lovely and warm from what I did hear!
I've had my eye on these:

https://www.rholupat.com/willsound-buds/pk32-gendhis.html

Very pleasantly surprised that Smabat reached out to me via PM to keep a line open outside of AE. Even if it's just a newsletter request, it's nice to see them reach out personally.

Had a nice convo with whatever rep I was talking to. Dropped a hint to them about our affection for the M2s Pro and invited them on in, so we'll see if they happen to drop by!

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #56,729 of 75,073
Your ending statement above reeks of novice arrogance and ignorance... along with your hypocritical "USB-C is non-audiophile" mantra while you incessantly inquire on sub $10 earbuds that come with mics... the irony!

Humble?! Humble individuals rarely, if ever, lay-down blanket statements such as yours. Simple?! Simple person's posts would not continually prove to be so awkward to deal with (many of your early posts were very complicated to say the least). I fear that you are far more opinionated, stubborn, and lazy than you realize as all your posts in this here thread are testament to:
  • a continuing inability to "help us, help you" which is turning into a rather annoying and stubborn streak on your part... many of us have tried countless times to steer you in the right direction but to no avail;
  • failure to follow simple guidelines and basic forum etiquette when posting and making recommendation requests;
  • asking basic questions that have been answered numerous times in the thread (as you apparently refuse to "read through" and/or "search" the thread to find the answers first as you rather someone else do the work for you... or is it that you don't like the answers you found?)

Profess to be an IT Professional but were unable to use basic forum tools when posting? Reminder: we had to ask you repeatedly (ended up having to literally show you how to use) the multi-quote function tool which you still refuse to use because you are lazy, thoughtless, and inconsiderate.

Well, if you do not consider my work related with IT, does not mean that I am doing anything else. And how reply with Quote and Replying to the Post is different? If someone is replying to only one post? And my work is not to find the best way to Reply to the post or find out how Head-Fi site is built so I can suggest them better Architecture and Design to use.

In this case, IT Professional does not equate well to Audio Science Engineer.
I did not say I am Sound Engineer or so? But it is ot Rocket science to know why USB C Exist.
Whether it be a 3.5mm jack or a USB-C port offering analog audio, a connection is a connection, just like the rest of an electronic circuit which is a combination of connections, bridges, point-to-points, etc. Nothing magical happens in a 3.5mm jack that does not happen in an analog audio output USB-C port. This is not super-sophisticated electronics happening here either. What magical "stable" connection circuitry do you think is happening in your smartphone that doesn't happen in a USB-C port?

USB-C is heavily used in consumer DACs and electronics and for good reason; it works flawlessly (if implemented correctly and designed by a skilled engineer).

This is not an Objective vs. Subjective debate either. This is acceptance of simple basic electronics and physics no matter which camp you find yourself in (personally, my tent is smack dab in the middle between both camps).

Again, a blanket statement with no founding evidence whatsoever which states that "USB-C is not for sound"... what a gross over generalization, total nonsense really.

Why is it then that USB-C has been designed to output audio data as either analog or digital signal? Why do countless designers and manufacturers use USB Type A/B/C for feeding data into DAC components? USB was very much designed for music audio whether it be for the transfer of music audio files or analog music playback. The music industry has had one of the greatest impact on PC devices and all the deriving technologies. To think that USB-C would not be designed with audio playback in mind is simply ludicrous!
Then do you have any reason to mention why there are hardly any USB C Type Earphones in the market? Phone Companies are still more interested in selling USB C to 3.5mm Connector which you will lose every now and then but not interested in making USB C Type earphone? UCB C is primarily made for Speed and Data Transfer, if someone is using it for Music does not make it ideal for Music. Sound itself is a continuous wave; it is an analog signal.

These Companies just want to sell their Bluetooth Headsets and UCB C to 3.5mm Connectors. There is no other reason for removing 3.5mm from the Phone. I am yet to see a phone which is 3.5mm or less thick.

Huh?!

@miserybeforethemusic post was not a reflection of the USB-C cable termination but rather the known limitations of the sub US$1 drivers that are used in the Traceless.

I have compared both the 3.5SE and USB-C terminated NiceHCK Traceless and they sound exactly the same. For a sub US$10 earbud they are fantastic but do lack in many areas again due to the drivers used and not because of the terminations employed.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #56,730 of 75,073
I’m just testing to see if this will work. This is what I fell asleep to last night. Pretty cool arrangements of times pieces played very well to say the least. The Little Bear loves this stuff.

https://app.idagio.com/recordings/21259381

Thanks brother. I appreciate that. For the 10 busiest months, I went back and forth from the CCU to the COVID ward, sometimes following the same set of patients if they’d decline or improve. I’m sort of proud of the fact that I had the first pandemic patient to survive ECMO. Things were wild back then and the fear was real. The patient’s family also had it and it was very mild for them. I was sleepless and praying. “There are no atheists in foxholes”. I’m hoping the worst of it is over, but still some other coworkers have gotten sick in spite of vaccination. None hospitalized though. Stay safe out there(all of you)! For seemingly random people, this stuff is a nightmare. For others: no big deal.

Stay safe friend!

you guys stay healthy and safe. my wife is an ophthalmologist in an eye hospital, and though she is in a somewhat relatively safer compared to others in general hospitals or even to those in covid-designated hospitals, i still fell a bit wary every time she goes to work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back