Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 6, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #55,908 of 75,134
I got the LBBS based on the suggestion of @jogawag who recommended them as an upgrade to the NiceHCK MX500. Your post describes very well what I'm hearing as well. To my ears they are bright neutral with very good details and impactful bass which satisfies my sound preference. I'm just getting used to them so this might change with time.

Initially I found them shouty on the verge of being fatiguing. Based on another post by @jogawag I added a donut foam to the regular full foam. For me this tamed the treble considerably and changed them from shouty to very enjoyable. I'm not sure why the change was so dramatic but I suspect that I am getting a much better fit with the double foams and this is effecting what I hear.
For me I tried full foam + donut foam, and a silicone ring + foam (didn't work well at all for me). But ended up still preferring how they sound with just full foam. In my case I think my ears are just on the smaller side, so the shell fits me well enough with just that. With MX500 shell they fit well too, but i do get a tinge of soreness on my ears after a longer listening session, whereas I feel fine with these. :grin:

IMAGE 2021-07-06 23:32:15.jpg
IMAGE 2021-07-06 23:32:14.jpg

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #55,909 of 75,134
Also waiting on mine... And on lbbs. EU vat regulations screwed the customs queue on my country... :frowning2: the golden driver (150ohm) got here first..
I ordered one of those as well and it’s close Too. Ali Shipping did me some justic on that one.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #55,913 of 75,134
Now I’m starting to wonder what the cheaper SMABAT sound like. You can always upgrade the drivers for very little money AND EFFORT. This system, at first blush, seems like pure, unadulterated genius. The cable that comes with these is exactly the same as a pair of IEMs I have. I really like it. Best ear bud cable I have. Still, I want to replace it with a FiiO cable I have with ear hooks and it could use a shirt clip. They were soooo close to nailing this but they opted to cheap out just a little. I’m not really complaining though because they got the major problems right: fit, comfort, and of course sound. Making them either balanced or have a microphone would just take them over the top.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #55,915 of 75,134
For me I tried full foam + donut foam, and a silicone ring + foam (didn't work well at all for me). But ended up still preferring how they sound with just full foam. In my case I think my ears are just on the smaller side, so the shell fits me well enough with just that. With MX500 shell they fit well too, but i do get a tinge of soreness on my ears after a longer listening session, whereas I feel fine with these. :grin:

IMAGE 2021-07-06 23:32:15.jpgIMAGE 2021-07-06 23:32:14.jpg
I found one set of full foams tamed the treble enough for me also. Here's the question: At what point do you say the earbud sound signature doesn't work for you? How far do you go to mod/ foam swap etc?

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #55,916 of 75,134
I found one set of full foams tamed the treble enough for me also. Here's the question: At what point do you say the earbud sound signature doesn't work for you? How far do you go to mod/ foam swap etc?
For me i find that with just donut foams, the sound lacks a bit of body which makes it sound a bit lean for my taste? With donuts on top of full foams, it thickens the sound more, but loses some energy in the higher frequencies, and also reduces the clarity a bit. With that silicone plus full foams, it just didn't fit as deeply in my ears which ends up making it sound out of whack. So in the end just a single full foams worked the best for me. I could probably try to adjust or trim the donuts a bit more to widen the opening and make sure it doesn't cover the front shell but since just full foams worked really well for me, I didn't try that. I normally don't go very far swapping foams with any earbuds. I tend to just start with the included full foams, and if it sounds off to me or not to my liking, I then try donut forms. Usually that's about it. :joy:

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #55,917 of 75,134
For me i find that with just donut foams, the sound lacks a bit of body which makes it sound a bit lean for my taste? With donuts on top of full foams, it thickens the sound more, but loses some energy in the higher frequencies, and also reduces the clarity a bit. With that silicone plus full foams, it just didn't fit as deeply in my ears which ends up making it sound out of whack. So in the end just a single full foams worked the best for me. I could probably try to adjust or trim the donuts a bit more to widen the opening and make sure it doesn't cover the front shell but since just full foams worked really well for me, I didn't try that. I normally don't go very far swapping foams with any earbuds. I tend to just start with the included full foams, and if it sounds off to me or not to my liking, I then try donut forms. Usually that's about it
For me i find that with just donut foams, the sound lacks a bit of body which makes it sound a bit lean for my taste? With donuts on top of full foams, it thickens the sound more, but loses some energy in the higher frequencies, and also reduces the clarity a bit. With that silicone plus full foams, it just didn't fit as deeply in my ears which ends up making it sound out of whack. So in the end just a single full foams worked the best for me. I could probably try to adjust or trim the donuts a bit more to widen the opening and make sure it doesn't cover the front shell but since just full foams worked really well for me, I didn't try that. I normally don't go very far swapping foams with any earbuds. I tend to just start with the included full foams, and if it sounds off to me or not to my liking, I then try donut forms. Usually that's about it. :joy:
Relatively new to earbuds, so asking an overall question, not specific to the LBBS. This definitely answered it 😄

Jul 7, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #55,918 of 75,134
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #55,919 of 75,134
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #55,920 of 75,134
I don’t have an answer but, to me, trying different foams is similar to trying different tips for a particular IEM. At some point I give up on both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back