Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #55,876 of 75,075
I know that playing music after a hard shift is next to impossible to get the sound I’m looking for where first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee I can do no wrong. Listening to music in these situations is less extreme on both sides of the coin and sometimes actually sounds better when I’m exhausted. Interestingly, if I’m evaluating new gear, I think it’s just a bad idea to do it when I’m tired. I think they may have played a role in my initial listen to the ShoonTH, BUT just listening to them today on my way out of the building, they sounded so good! I wasn’t trying to be critical. The mental discord between what I heard while walking through an acoustic space I’m very familiar with that sounded nothing like the acoustic space presented by Alice Sara Ott’s Chopin Walzes was pure bliss…. I play some of those pieces, but she does it with so much control and finesse, I could just never hope to duplicate it.
So do you think that ShoonTH justify asking price?
I wonder what next model (150ohm version) brings to the table :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #55,877 of 75,075
The reason why I dont have it is because it sounded so bad I gave it away to the first person that could use buds lol.

Massively bloated bass and sounding like a radio are the only aspects I remember....probably F ranked.
Aww that’s too bad because I like my monk plus. They’re actually my earbuds of choice as of the moment along with the X6 and Snow Lotus 1.0. Haha

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #55,879 of 75,075
Aww that’s too bad because I like my monk plus. They’re actually my earbuds of choice as of the moment along with the X6 and Snow Lotus 1.0. Haha

I like my monk+ as much as my X6. Different tastes for different folks :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #55,880 of 75,075
So do you think that ShoonTH justify asking price?
I wonder what next model (150ohm version) brings to the table :thinking:
Yes I do! I fell asleep with them in my ear last night.
My hopes for the 150 ohm would be for more power handling in the low end. The cheapies are great for acoustic music (barring pipe organs and oddballs), but they overload easily on more bass intensive recordings. My initial impression of these was not great, but just a few days later and I’m so happy I got them. I’m just glad you guys encouraged me to burn them in a bit. thank you.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #55,881 of 75,075
Finally got into the bud game. Always wanted some buds since I don't really like iem's and can't really wear them at work. Anyways, I bought a pair of FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0+ blue version because they were on Amazon so I can get them quick and use them for work, also they're blue and matches my work shirt. But man, I quite like them. Surprised how open sounding they are. Just wide enough for the music to be out of your head. Good sound stage. Neutral warmish sounding. Only thing I find lacking is the bass. Reminds me of my Sennheiser HD580.

Right now I'm just running them off of my LG V20 phone. Maybe get a DAP or AMP later. So which buds to get next?

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #55,882 of 75,075
Yincrow X6 are cheap and have more bass and a nice FR balance but not the most technicality accomplished buds. The The ShoonTH are a more technical bud that I prefer the fit compared to the mx500 shell on the Faaeal. They don’t have the bass though, but they do sound smooth even though they are detailed. Bass is not really their forte if you listen to bass heavy music. If you like both extra bass and a more technical bud, the Eat Bud Anonymous buds have a lot of bass, detail and a comfy fit But they do have a bit of grain to them. With the Code the are $25. Without $50. I like all three of those buds more than the Faaeal. I prefer Penon Audio’s shipping by a large margin over AliExpress (which is an ironic name as their shipping can take forever). I still haven’t received buds that I ordered 2 months ago and they certainly aren’t eager to make things right. Buy at your own risk.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #55,883 of 75,075
Yincrow X6 are cheap and have more bass and a nice FR balance but not the most technicality accomplished buds. The The ShoonTH are a more technical bud that I prefer the fit compared to the mx500 shell on the Faaeal. They don’t have the bass though, but they do sound smooth even though they are detailed. Bass is not really their forte if you listen to bass heavy music. If you like both extra bass and a more technical bud, the Eat Bud Anonymous buds have a lot of bass, detail and a comfy fit But they do have a bit of grain to them. With the Code the are $25. Without $50. I like all three of those buds more than the Faaeal. I prefer Penon Audio’s shipping by a large margin over AliExpress (which is an ironic name as their shipping can take forever). I still haven’t received buds that I ordered 2 months ago and they certainly aren’t eager to make things right. Buy at your own risk.
How’s the bass of the ShoonTh compared to the monk plus?

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #55,884 of 75,075
Thanks, I'll check those out. Yeah I don't want to buy from AE if I can help it. I don't really mind them being bass lite or not just as long as it's perceivable. Might have to try out a pair of ShoonTH's.

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #55,885 of 75,075
Just sharing, I have bought the following earbuds: Cat Ear Audio Mimi, Willsound mk2, Metal Yuin Shell Monk, ShoonTh. I can’t stop buying earbuds. 😂 Someone please help.

Also, I compared my X6 to the Campfire Audio Orion Ck just for fun. Man, the X6 can pass off as an iem because of their low frequencies. 😂 While I’m using the Monk Plus more for the past 2 weeks, the X6 continues to surprise me. Haha

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #55,886 of 75,075
How’s the bass of the ShoonTh compared to the monk plus?
I may be the only person in this thread that hasn’t heard any Monk. I have a set that hasn’t shipped from AliExpress for 2 months….. I guess it’s only 45 days.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #55,887 of 75,075
So which is which?

1625546355475.png

Someone here says that you get what you paid for. Is it true for this case? I'm curious for anyone who have tried these and how they perform. The rabbit hole is calling me again... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #55,888 of 75,075
I may be the only person in this thread that hasn’t heard any Monk. I have a set that hasn’t shipped from AliExpress for 2 months….. I guess it’s only 45 days.
:v::wink:
So which is which?

Someone here says that you get what you paid for. Is it true for this case? I'm curious for anyone who have tried these and how they perform. The rabbit hole is calling me again... :ksc75smile:
Before I start, understand this as my personal opinion. I have no intention of hype this product line:fingers_crossed:

1625553740296.png

ESEP-01BL is the good entry level buds which shows its uniqueness and true character of the ShoonTH lineup. IMO, the price is just right. I'm not a fan of the cable, but even if you cut the cable, I will buy it again :wink: By saying this I mean that this driver (32ohm) alone is the strong candidate to be in range $10-$20

1625553704903.png

Now looking at the ESEP-01BLE and reading product description we see some differences, enhanced driver and cables. They tested each driver and resistor to find a pair
with approximately equal impedance. Also, all of this requires additional driver tuning. The next thing that raises the price here is the cable, of course the beautiful look (my subjective opinion) is not the only reason for that. I personally like how they match plug and Y-splitter with "wasp pattern" snake skin.
I use FURUKAWA silver plated copper cable with my DIY PK1 150ohm "red film" driver and I noticed small improvement in driver performance comparing it with other cheap cables. This cable is thin but rigid (can be good or bad thing, I don't mind that much), and it feels strong.
And now the main question: Is all this worth 4 times the price of previous model?
Well... for overall effort: enhanced driver (150ohm), tuning, quality cable wire and parts, attention to the details, richer package with accessories, the price around $100 would be a complete hit, $120 ...hmm...maybe ok :wink:

1625553790415.png

ESEP-01BU ... what can incense the price $100? This is a hard one if you ask me, and correct me if I'm wrong.
This is not so important, but I need to mention, the package looks a bit downgraded in comparison with ESEP-01BLE.
As for the driver, I think that they probably chose the best samples of the previous version here with some additional tuning.
Looking at the cable, we see that they use the same plug and Y-splitter, the snake skin has a different pattern.
The main difference is the wire. It's thinner and braided, which may indicate two things: softer cable and no microphonics.
Is asking price ok? I will not agree here. Upper limit will be $200 but $150-$170 is a much more realistic price for this model.

BTW... this lineup is not so new and the TOTL model is not mentioned anywhere in the reviews, which may mean that it was not sold as much.
The only solution I see here is to lower the price and send one pair to @RikudouGoku for testing:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #55,889 of 75,075
Thanks mr. furyossa for the information. I searched through the net and haven't found also any reviews about these buds so maybe I'll wait until the likes of @RikudouGoku or maybe @ClieOS get their hands on it. Besides, the Blur which I purchased from a fellow headfier is still on its way.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #55,890 of 75,075
Thanks mr. furyossa for the information. I searched through the net and haven't found also any reviews about these buds so maybe I'll wait until the likes of @RikudouGoku or maybe @ClieOS get their hands on it. Besides, the Blur which I purchased from a fellow headfier is still on its way.
Only TOTL model don't have any review, ESEP-01BL and ESEP-01BLE have. If @ClieOS not have these, probably will not get them, and @RikudouGoku rarely buys from Penon.
That's the way it is for now :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back