Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #55,591 of 75,073
Best part was I had a loaner unit of the TOTL DUNU LUNA. I let her listen to it with a desktop amp with FLAC files, in a quiet room. She says the LUNA doesn't sound any different from a pasar malam (night bazaar) pirated Beats earphone that was obtained for $3 USD.
Pasar malam Beats cans > Dunu Luna, lol. Love it.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #55,592 of 75,073
Try them without any filter and tell me if you like it. That's how I use M2pro
That would probably give it more treble, which does not sound good to me.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #55,594 of 75,073
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #55,595 of 75,073
Try them without any filter and tell me if you like it. That's how I use M2pro
You have Y3 or Y4 tuning paper only on the driver?
That would probably give it more treble, which does not sound good to me.
Always have these in the pocket, just in case
Y2-Y5 (white cotton) tuning paper: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002454970487.html
Horseshoe black foam (low, medium and high density) : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002301165327.html

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #55,596 of 75,073
I only have the stock driver, that might be different.
It depends a lot on the driver. Some "stubborn" driver will not be affected by any filter

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #55,597 of 75,073
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #55,598 of 75,073
You are very lucky if your family can appreciate your audio gear. My wife damaged my BLON BL-03 that I lent her, after she dumped it at the bottom of her handbag without any case, and there were heavier stuff on top of it. I've also seen her leaving my IEMs and earbuds dangling by their cable from the laptop onto the floor zzzzz. My KZ ZS10 Pro that I lent her for just 24 hours came back scratched to hell on the shell.

Best part was I had a loaner unit of the TOTL DUNU LUNA. I let her listen to it with a desktop amp with FLAC files, in a quiet room. She says the LUNA doesn't sound any different from a pasar malam (night bazaar) pirated Beats earphone that was obtained for $3 USD.

So, in view of her destructive tendencies, and since she can't appreciate higher end gear, she is now only allowed to use a $1 Vido earbud. At the last sale, I have bought a few Vidos to let her use, it is a case of when (not if) that she will damage the audio gear, and Vidos are at least cheap and good, won't be so heartaching if she damages them.

this is so relatable to me down to the microscopic level :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

for years my wife was using her stock samsung IEM, only upgrading to the usb-c version of that same IEM when she bought newer Note that don't have audio jack anymore.

now she's using an Airpod Pro after switching to the whole Apple ecosystem.. which is still not utilized often enough as she prefer to watch movies just with the onboard speakers.

all while i seems to rotate earphones and try to use different one each day :darthsmile:
on the positive side, at least she's supportive of my hobby and doesn't bother my earphones

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #55,599 of 75,073
this is so relatable to me down to the microscopic level :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

for years my wife was using her stock samsung IEM, only upgrading to the usb-c version of that same IEM when she bought newer Note that don't have audio jack anymore.

now she's using an Airpod Pro after switching to the whole Apple ecosystem.. which is still not utilized often enough as she prefer to watch movies just with the onboard speakers.

all while i seems to rotate earphones and try to use different one each day :darthsmile:
on the positive side, at least she's supportive of my hobby and doesn't bother my earphones
My wife "stole" my TRN BT3s + Kbear KB 04 for the morning run and they stayed with her. Good thing I don't listen to IEMs at all

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #55,600 of 75,073
If you go with the 2.5 balanced version, the E1DA 9038SG3 have enough power to drive high impedance earbuds. It works with ios gear, though you have to get the cable separately.
For desktop use I am very happy with the E1DA PowerDAC v2, this one would need external power to function optimally with a mobile device. Though you get even more power and a parametric EQ for free.
Both sound great and are an excellent value.
No issue regarding noise with lower impedance high sensitivity earbuds on the PowerDac?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #55,601 of 75,073
No issue regarding noise with lower impedance high sensitivity earbuds?

I do not have any with those characteristics, but there is a configuration adapted for 32 ohm, but they always advise against low impedance high sensitivity.

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't know what was referring to Powerdac

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #55,602 of 75,073
No issue regarding noise with lower impedance high sensitivity earbuds on the PowerDac?
I get a lot of hiss with my BA iems. I haven't tried it with earbuds yet...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #55,603 of 75,073
You have asked the wrong question to master @RikudouGoku . The question should be: "Which Yincrow X6 does Boss Rikudou like the most?"

Bro have u tried the SMABAT M0? It seems the dampers and drivers are interchangeable between the 2, so it is just a different housing and shell.
This is the comparison we all want to see

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #55,604 of 75,073
FiiO EM5 got here, initial impressions are. Drums sound like drums. Full, dynamic, thumpy, fast, slammin. I would say there's actual subbass extension and rumble, midbass feels clean and natural, although I do feel an overall sense of 'body' to the music. Unfortunately everything else sounds a bit distant, if not muffled. By comparison Chaconne have a bell-like clarity for female vocals and, well, bells, etc. The FiiO EM5 overall feel "thick" and "laid back", bordering on "dark" or veiled. Female vocals feel a bit hollow or thin, maaaybe even rough/sharp, and feel like they're behind me and to either side of me. The presentation isn't as intimate, emotional and forward as the other buds I have, but I guess those are more upper mid/treble-strong (EBX21, Chaconne, ME80).

I'm swapping between Chaconne and EM5 right now and the Chaconne is definitely more 'open' feeling, airy, sparkly. The EM5 by contrast feels dummy thicc, almost muffled. Like going from a concert hall (Chaconne) to a club or warehouse party (EM5). Maybe some burn in (ie: 300 hours lmao) is necessary to open these up as well. As for tips, I'm using Chaconne with a silicone ring and then a single full foam over it, with EM5 I'm just using a single full foam (same as the Chaconne one, not the provided FiiO one since I might return these.)

The fit on the EM5, by the way, is maybe the best I've tried. I have no idea how it's possible, but it's super light and just.. goes in and sits where I put it. I can wear it cables down and turn my head and all that and it's fine. I don't need to readjust it like I do with the hefty Chaconne. The cable is really good too. FRICK. The more I type the more they're growing on me.

I want to say they're a "fun," "musical," "laid back," and "non-fatiguing" (in every sense of the word) bud. I'm still experimenting but they sound pretty good with some EQ upping at around 2K, which leads me to believe my next thing to try should be donut foams to open up the higher range a bit.

FiiO EM5 in a word: FULL
Moondrop Chaconne in a word: 𝒸 𝓁 𝑒 𝒶 𝓇

So, those are initial impressions. I will read some actual reviews from people who know what they're talking about, and then see if my impressions are anywhere in the ballpark.
Thank you! Very useful to hear your impressions. Wondering if using without foams brings back some of those distant highs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back