Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #55,576 of 75,146
And because of that they will sound different (better or worse)

Definitely agree boss.

The SMABAT M2S Pro and the M0 are a really innovative idea for earbud junkies like us. I know you and some other esteemed folks here are really adept at soldering and doing DIY stuff. But for most of the rest of us and for newcomers who don't have soldering or DIY knowledge, the modular design is really helpful, since it is just a click-like design to combine the different dampers and drivers in various permutations to get the desired sound signature.

I think if SMABAT releases various shell housing designs of different price ranges, but still utilize this modular damper/driver design, and maybe they can add exotic stuff like beryllium drivers or wood shells, they can really dominate the earbud market.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #55,577 of 75,146
Interested in what people will recommend as I am too in the market. Been relegated to using my Meizu HiFi Pro mobile DAC/AMP dongle as of late since my FiiO BTR5 was stolen from me. The Meizu dongle is great and all but I am missing precise "volume" control as the scroll volume wheel on my Corsair K70 keyboard only moves at 2dB increments which is beyond frustrating for me to say the least 😡!

After many, many months my wife finally "discovered" my BTR5 which she promptly took for herself (under threat of extreme harm when I initially resisted) and is now happily driving her illegally acquisitioned Turandot earbuds! Between her and my 24yo daughter it is a wonder I have any audio related gadgets left to myself! And please don't be fooled by their cuteness. "Siamese women are quite resourceful and come well equipped with quick fingers, very sharp teeth, and a disposition to readily visit violence upon any who get in their way" (many Bothans died to bring you this information).

Wanted _Wife & Daughter.jpg
I generally use E1DA9038SG3 that has a very precise and simple volume control, tempotec sonata hd pro works great for me (which is the same as the meizu), with fiio BTR3K I'm also happy, but I think the battery performance could be better.

In the future it is very likely that I will try the tempotec BHD.

I fully understand their situation, with thefts and misappropriations by wife, daughters / sons, generally subtracting the best values from their collection. We are really victims, first they blame us for what we spend and then ... they appropriate it.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #55,578 of 75,146
Definitely agree boss.

The SMABAT M2S Pro and the M0 are a really innovative idea for earbud junkies like us. I know you and some other esteemed folks here are really adept at soldering and doing DIY stuff. But for most of the rest of us and for newcomers who don't have soldering or DIY knowledge, the modular design is really helpful, since it is just a click-like design to combine the different dampers and drivers in various permutations to get the desired sound signature.

I think if SMABAT releases various shell housing designs of different price ranges, but still utilize this modular damper/driver design, and maybe they can add exotic stuff like beryllium drivers or wood shells, they can really dominate the earbud market.
I have nothing against modular design, even more I think it is a great solution for anyone.
I really support the effort they put in here.

The only problem may be the inner space (size and form) of the shell, which largely "shapes" the sound of the driver.
@RikudouGoku mentioned earlier 3K peak on SuperOne.
I encountered a similar problem with the HiFi Boy Dream buds and this post justify my previous statement
about different shell

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #55,579 of 75,146
Definitely agree boss.

I admire the results they achieve so much that I am going to try to do some DIY, it will be so disaster that I will deny having tried it afterwards ...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #55,580 of 75,146
I generally use E1DA9038SG3 that has a very precise and simple volume control, tempotec sonata hd pro works great for me (which is the same as the meizu), with fiio BTR3K I'm also happy, but I think the battery performance could be better.

I fully understand their situation, with thefts and misappropriations by wife, daughters / sons, generally subtracting the best values from their collection. We are really victims, first they blame us for what we spend and then ... they appropriate it.
Well said hermano.:beerchug:

Mr @WoodyLuvr I commented on this in PM a while ago :joy:
The major problem:joy:

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #55,581 of 75,146
I admire the results they achieve so much that I am going to try to do some DIY, it will be so disaster that I will deny having tried it afterwards ...
Believe me, you'll not feel that way. :grin: You will experience great revelation ... probably:joy:

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #55,582 of 75,146

I have the E1DA9038D, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and BHD. Unless you need the 2.5 balanced connection (you have the E1DA, so I doubt it) then I would say the BHD isn't worth it in your situation. I only use it for the balanced connection and can not discern any noticeable sound difference from the unbalanced Tempotec. You should buy more buds instead :beerchug:

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #55,583 of 75,146
I have the E1DA9038D, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and BHD. Unless you need the 2.5 balanced connection (you have the E1DA, so I doubt it) then I would say the BHD isn't worth it in your situation. I only use it for the balanced connection and can not discern any noticeable sound difference from the unbalanced Tempotec. You should buy more buds instead :beerchug:
Yup, yup. Put the blame on DACs/AMPs and buy many more earbuds.:grin: That's a really smart move :beerchug:
BTW... don't forget to include X6. Just imagine a combo X6 and iFi Diablo :heart_eyes: (the match from hell)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #55,584 of 75,146

Well, my wife only wants the Monk Plus. Up to now, she has broken 4-5 units (the last one lasted 3,5 years, so durability is great). This time, I have tried an X6, but it will probably finish in my drawer. In fact, I think that the key is that the Monk has the only cable (in general, you can include any cable type you could imagine) she has not been able to tangle.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #55,585 of 75,146
Thanks, well I'll save that dac if it doesn't really add anything to HD pro.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #55,587 of 75,146

Have u tried flashing the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro with the BHD firmware (do at own risk, it may be irreversible!). I did that for mine, and it is approximately doubly as loud after flashing the BHD firmware, and it does seem to have added dynamics and improved soundstage, not sure if this is due to the louder volume playing tricks?

But I can't go back to the original non BHD firmware Sonata HD Pro after this haha.

You are very lucky if your family can appreciate your audio gear. My wife damaged my BLON BL-03 that I lent her, after she dumped it at the bottom of her handbag without any case, and there were heavier stuff on top of it. I've also seen her leaving my IEMs and earbuds dangling by their cable from the laptop onto the floor zzzzz. My KZ ZS10 Pro that I lent her for just 24 hours came back scratched to hell on the shell.

Best part was I had a loaner unit of the TOTL DUNU LUNA. I let her listen to it with a desktop amp with FLAC files, in a quiet room. She says the LUNA doesn't sound any different from a pasar malam (night bazaar) pirated Beats earphone that was obtained for $3 USD.

So, in view of her destructive tendencies, and since she can't appreciate higher end gear, she is now only allowed to use a $1 Vido earbud. At the last sale, I have bought a few Vidos to let her use, it is a case of when (not if) that she will damage the audio gear, and Vidos are at least cheap and good, won't be so heartaching if she damages them.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #55,588 of 75,146
Best part was I had a loaner unit of the TOTL DUNU LUNA. I let her listen to it with a desktop amp with FLAC files, in a quiet room. She says the LUNA doesn't sound any different from a pasar malam (night bazaar) pirated Beats earphone that was obtained for $3 USD.

So, in view of her destructive tendencies, and since she can't appreciate higher end gear, she is now only allowed to use a $1 Vido earbud. At the last sale, I have bought a few Vidos to let her use, it is a case of when (not if) that she will damage the audio gear, and Vidos are at least cheap and good, won't be so heartaching if she damages them.
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
I wouldn’t blame her for using earphones/IEMs that way. CHiFi QC is the only thing to blame.
This is an perfect example that they should consider when it comes to average users

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #55,589 of 75,146
You are very lucky if your family can appreciate your audio gear. My wife damaged my BLON BL-03 that I lent her, after she dumped it at the bottom of her handbag without any case, and there were heavier stuff on top of it. I've also seen her leaving my IEMs and earbuds dangling by their cable from the laptop onto the floor zzzzz. My KZ ZS10 Pro that I lent her for just 24 hours came back scratched to hell on the shell.

Wonderful...
She must have contributed greatly to the development of your patient, thoughtful, and calm personality. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #55,590 of 75,146
Lol, if we add that one. I still take the M2S Pro over it. Although very slight
Try them without any filter and tell me if you like it. That's how I use M2pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-185022_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-185022_Photos.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back