Earbuds Round-Up
May 28, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #54,466 of 75,143
U can
I'm not really sure how it failed, but it could be bad solder.

I'm also not that ready to purchase anything else from K's for the time being, after so many reports of driver failure. It just so happened that the overall physical built of their products are actually quite good and did not seem like the cause of those issues. Could be internal work or design that needs brushing up.
You can heat up the shell with hair dryer (avoid the side where is driver cover)
This will soften the glue a bit and then try to remove the cover from the shell

May 28, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #54,470 of 75,143
@GREQ has kindly alerted me that Japan Victor Company aka JVC (Victor in Japan/Asia) was completely missing from the Earbud Timeline especially many of the key models they made during the Golden and Silver Ages. I had completely forgotten about Victor's HA/HP-F series including their "Spiral Ducts"... the old brain needs a tune-up apparently! The timeline has been duly updated with Victor-JVC!

I also added some entries for a number of Golden Age earbud models from Denon, Piezo, Nagaoka, Marantz, and TEAC that I had been procrastinating to add as I had to research (hunt around in my notes for) the impedance and/or confirm the debut year.

Remember, I am more than happy to correct and/or add to the timeline just please provide me the following information to help me out:

Debut Year --- Brand Name --- Model Name & Number --- Impedance Rating

Thank you again @GREQ it is most appreciated!

May 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #54,471 of 75,143
@GREQ has kindly alerted me that Japan Victor Company aka JVC (Victor in Japan/Asia) was completely missing from the Earbud Timeline especially many of the key models they made during the Golden and Silver Ages. I had completely forgotten about Victor's HA/HP-F series including their "Spiral Ducts"... the old brain needs a tune-up apparently! The timeline has been duly updated with Victor-JVC!

I also added some entries for a number of Golden Age earbud models from Denon, Piezo, Nagaoka, Marantz, and TEAC that I had been procrastinating to add as I had to research (hunt around in my notes for) the impedance and/or confirm the debut year.

Remember, I am more than happy to correct and/or add to the timeline just please provide me the following information to help me out:

Debut Year --- Brand Name --- Model Name & Number --- Impedance Rating

Thank you again @GREQ it is most appreciated!
I am glad that the list continues to expand. My sources have dried up :wink:

May 28, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #54,472 of 75,143
My Onmyoji 2021 is also still going well. I just handle them with extra care compared to my IEMs, and I also only use them at home.
I really like my pair, It feels like a meatier version of my LZ A7, which means that it actually has a bit more mid-bass. I also really like the feeling of the bass resonating with the aluminum body. I talked a bit before how it sounded kinda similar to my moded LZ A7, so It basically comes down to:
Microdetails: LZ A7 > Onmyoji
Soundstage:LZ A7 = Onmyoji
Timbre: LZ A7 < Onmyoji

May 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #54,473 of 75,143
sooo I've been using the NiceHCK EBX21 for a little while, wanting to experience what top of the line might sound like. It sure feels TOTL in terms of build quality and technicalities and all that, but honestly I just find myself turning my brain off and switching on some extremely V-shaped EQ preset (Excited on Sony DAPs) to fill out the rest of the music. Otherwise it feels pretty thin to me, low end has no body or impact, vocals feel distant. I think by comparison I prefer the ME80s a little bit more, it might be a fit issue or something but it does sound a bit more full and musical.

With that said, are there any decidedly 'top of the line' and comfortable V-shaped (or even bass-boosted harman neutral-ish) buds? I was really interested in the K's stuff just because of the form factor, but the high price, limited availability, lack of detachable cables or balanced termination, and now recent driver failures are giving more even moooore pause than before. I am kinda curious but likely won't shop around given how much I enjoy the ME80 and EBX21 for different music, but for the sake of the hobby I would like to do a little more research 👀

May 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #54,474 of 75,143
sooo I've been using the NiceHCK EBX21 for a little while, wanting to experience what top of the line might sound like. It sure feels TOTL in terms of build quality and technicalities and all that, but honestly I just find myself turning my brain off and switching on some extremely V-shaped EQ preset (Excited on Sony DAPs) to fill out the rest of the music. Otherwise it feels pretty thin to me, low end has no body or impact, vocals feel distant. I think by comparison I prefer the ME80s a little bit more, it might be a fit issue or something but it does sound a bit more full and musical.

With that said, are there any decidedly 'top of the line' and comfortable V-shaped (or even bass-boosted harman neutral-ish) buds? I was really interested in the K's stuff just because of the form factor, but the high price, limited availability, lack of detachable cables or balanced termination, and now recent driver failures are giving more even moooore pause than before. I am kinda curious but likely won't shop around given how much I enjoy the ME80 and EBX21 for different music, but for the sake of the hobby I would like to do a little more research 👀
That is the right answer. :beerchug: .......................................................................................................:point_up:
We often talk here about how TOTL buds should have detachable cables, and I also agree with that. But with some models, this option does not bring any advantage.
For example NiceHCK EBX21 has detachable cables but you have to pay a higher price for the product because it comes with a cable that has a price 50% of the total price. When it comes to buying headphones that you don't have the opportunity to try before buying, this is not convenient at all.

It should also be taken into account that the MMCX itself or any other connectors often break down, sometimes more often than the cable itself.
Fixing ie. replacing these connectors on the shell is much harder than replacing a cable that is soldered directly to the driver.
We have Moondrop and K's models where the stem is part of the vent system itself, any modification or placement of the connector would have a huge impact on the sound. The connector option requires a complete shell redesign. These are some of the reasons why most TOTL models still don't have an option with connectors

May 28, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #54,475 of 75,143

Yincrow RW-2000
K´s Samsara K300

Those are the sets I would recommend if you want to have a fun bassy bud. Or you can also check out the Yincrow X6 if price is a problem.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #54,476 of 75,143
Yincrow RW-2000
K´s Samsara K300

Those are some set I would recommend if you want to have a fun bassy bud. Or you can also check out the Yincrow X6 if price is a problem.
ok, I give in.... the constant x6 references. I'm getting some backups before they eventually get discontinued. Note, I'm not saying they are being discontinued but we've seen earbuds disappear after the inventory is cleared.

May 28, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #54,477 of 75,143
ok, I give in.... the constant x6 references. I'm getting some backups before they eventually get discontinued. Note, I'm not saying they are being discontinued but we've seen earbuds disappear after the inventory is cleared.
hahha, yeah. That would probably be smart to do, nothing has surpassed it from my experience.

May 28, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #54,478 of 75,143
Haha damn, I was looking at the RW-2000 anyway but went with the EBX21s since I already was happy with other NiceHCK buds and thought the EBX21s look way cooler than the RW-2000. I'll keep it on my shortlist and see what the rest of 2021 has to offer 👀 Appreciate y'all and your swift input + expertise :)

May 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #54,479 of 75,143
We often talk here about how TOTL buds should have detachable cables, and I also agree with that. But with some models, this option does not bring any advantage.

and this is even more noticeable in the buds, where you must also discover what your best fit is. If you do it based on TOLT models, your € can be stored in a drawer ... It will not matter the detachable cable and everything else

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #54,480 of 75,143

Smabat ST10s gold will probably tick all the boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back