Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #50,911 of 75,073
if that's the case, I'm afraid the options would be limited to this model of earbuds (as far as i know)

if you want to use your wired earbuds, you can use the usb c dacs, but i don't think it allows phone calls from the earbuds..

custom build phones is a more complex and expensive idea, if that's possible at all..
Chitty's Store has some USP-C models. Probably they can change driver or mic at your request
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999497318.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32950707500.html

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #50,912 of 75,073
talking about older models.... finally got my hands on these...

4S8SpyJ.png
Another one
HTB1NokRGpXXXXcwXFXXq6xXFXXXb.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32213408775.html

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #50,913 of 75,073
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #50,914 of 75,073
Had a pair of Sony MDR-ED21LP buds ages back. Lost them. Found them. Lost them again. Only ever found pairs going on eBay for like €200 or whatever. Stumbled across a listing where they were being sold with a Discman, but the seller was open to just selling the buds and I just got them for €90 or so, let's goooooooo.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #50,915 of 75,073
I just got my K's Nameless and I don't quite like it. Its too warm and it has little clarity, it kinda sounds veiled. Cymbals and clean electric guitar dont shine with it. The imaging and instrument seperation is also not that good. But it is still decent in some tracks. I payed just $2.50 for this tho. I know a friend that might enjoy it though, so im giving it to him.
Now to wait for my two vidos and kbear stellar, and also replacement cables for my tp16 and b40

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #50,916 of 75,073
I just got my K's Nameless and I don't quite like it. Its too warm and it has little clarity, it kinda sounds veiled. Cymbals and clean electric guitar dont shine with it. The imaging and instrument seperation is also not that good. But it is still decent in some tracks. I payed just $2.50 for this tho. I know a friend that might enjoy it though, so im giving it to him.
Now to wait for my two vidos and kbear stellar, and also replacement cables for my tp16 and b40
Use @Sam L 's target. It's some kind of voodoo magic.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #50,917 of 75,073
I ordered 2 pairs. One pair has an active resistance of 156 ohms, the other 152 (approximately the same for both drivers, apparently, there is a spread and they select similar drivers).
Hellooo! Can i ask if you know whether an amp such as my Aune B1 will drive the Smabat ST10 Black & Gold optimally? I am a total technoramus but all my regular IEMs so far distort when plugged into this potent unit.. I attach screenshot of original Aune B1 specs listing from PenonAudio. Oops, no i don't . Doesn't work! For headphone power output it says "@3000 84mW"

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #50,918 of 75,073
Hellooo! Can i ask if you know whether an amp such as my Aune B1 will drive the Smabat ST10 Black & Gold optimally? I am a total technoramus but all my regular IEMs so far distort when plugged into this potent unit.. I attach screenshot of original Aune B1 specs listing from PenonAudio. Oops, no i don't . Doesn't work! For headphone power output it says "@3000 84mW"

Hi @warbles the advertised specs output for the Aune B1 are as such:

100mW @ 300 Ohm
50mW @ 32 Ohm
25mW @ 16 Ohm

I hope the rest who do have the Aune B1 can help advise you as I don't have it, but IMHO that's not the best for the 150 ohm Black Gold.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #50,919 of 75,073

100mW @ 300 Ohm
50mW @ 32 Ohm
25mW @ 16 Ohm

I hope the rest who do have the Aune B1 can help advise you as I don't have it, but IMHO that's pretty weak for the 150 ohm Black Gold.
Whoa..i see..thankyou...so crazy to be stuck between a rock and a fhard place with this thing! It's too powerful for normal, sensitive IEMs, but too weak for when a

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #50,920 of 75,073

100mW @ 300 Ohm
50mW @ 32 Ohm
25mW @ 16 Ohm

I hope the rest who do have the Aune B1 can help advise you as I don't have it, but IMHO that's not the best for the 150 ohm Black Gold.
Whoa! Stuck between a rock and a hard place with this thing! Too powerful for all my regular, sensitive IEMs, but not powerful enough when that rare, high impedance set comes along! Thankyou for your response..

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #50,921 of 75,073
Whoa..i see..thankyou...so crazy to be stuck between a rock and a fhard place with this thing! It's too powerful for normal, sensitive IEMs, but too weak for when a
The B1 has an output impedance of 10 ohms (or if you have the 2016 version it is 3 ohm) which is very high and your iems will hiss with it. Power wise it is quite weak as well. Entry level amps like the JDS atom or the Topping L30 will be much better for your iems and earbuds.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #50,922 of 75,073

The Aune B1 seems to be an older amp?

Generally for IEMs most folks nowadays use DAPs or DAC/AMP dongles. Something cheap like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (around $30ish USD) can give very good sound and are an excellent pairing for highly sensitive IEMs. Very dark background, neutralish, no hiss, very low output impedance. But if u need more power like for planars or very high impedance gear then the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can't do that.

I used to face this issue of source being suitable for IEMs, but having not enough power for hungrier gear. But then another source that can drive hungry headphones hisses like mad with sensitive IEMs. I finally solved this issue by buying the Topping L30 recently. It has 3 gain switches (-9 db to 0 db to 9 dB) so it can drive everything without hiss and without lack of headroom.

Perhaps if u are lacking power, u can consider the Smabat ST10S Black Silver version. Seems to have a lower impedance than Black Gold but most folks say the Black Gold is still an upgrade if u have a suitable source for it.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #50,924 of 75,073
The B1 has an output impedance of 10 ohms (or if you have the 2016 version it is 3 ohm) which is very high and your iems will hiss with it. Power wise it is quite weak as well. Entry level amps like the JDS atom or the Topping L30 will be much better for your iems and earbuds.
I don't know what you mean by "hiss". I don't hear any hiss, just various distortions. I also have JDS Labs Atom & Atom DAC, Sabaj DAC and a Topping NX3S, but when it doesn't distort, the Aune does something remarkably beautiful to the sound that those other amps can't compare to. So, tricky for me to know what i can do with it!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #50,925 of 75,073
I don't know what you mean by "hiss". I don't hear any hiss, just various distortions. I also have JDS Labs Atom, Sabaj DAC and a Topping NX3S, but when it doesn't distort, the Aune does something remarkably beautiful to the sound that those other amps can't compare to. So, tricky for me to know what i can do with it!
It sounds different because having a high OI will change the FR of the transducer (particularly iems and buds). Hiss is something you can tell if it has by playing a track and then pausing it and then listen if you hear something. If you hear something and then disconnect the cable from the amp and the noise is gone, that is hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back