Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #50,551 of 75,118
Hi,

I've been out of earbud world for a while and I keep using my Tomahawks (which I prefer to the Yun Pk3, Edifier H180, Edifier H185 and original VE Monk that I also have)... I see there are lots of new options since then, but could you please help me telling me what are the best options right now if I'm looking for a V shaped earbud (I like extended deep powerfull bass but with nice and cristal clear highs)?

My ears are on the smaller side, I don't know if anything bigger than my Tomahawks would fit and I don't want a high impedance buds as I'll use them with a FiiO X3II.

Thanks

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #50,552 of 75,118
Thank you for sharing your observations, very helpful.

I agree with your characterizations of the rw9. Additionally, I've noticed a couple other things about that 2-3k region.

1. I agree that the rise is too agressive. It also highlights an interesting aspect of earbud pinna gain. The rw9 is +5.25dB from 1k to 2k. My current target curve places the rise from 1k to 2k at 2dB. It seems like it would be too small but thats what works best so far. (I'm officially at 5 interations of my curve, but unofficially I've plotted and generated files for around 10 or so variations.)

2. That 2k emphasis is even more forward because of the notch that follows at 3k.
I'm not astonished you found 2db to be enough: it just shows the relation between your measurment set up and your ears. You inegrated feedbacks from other users so actually it's slightly better than that. With more feedbacks we could have good rules of thumb to discriminate earbuds that are likely to sound good from others: "If it's elevated by 2db on Sam L measurments then you might find it fine". I think those kind of rules could do the trick as there are not many different designes, and in the worst case having theme valid only for let's say MX500 shells would still be super helpfull.

Talking about feedbacks, If you have compensation files for any of the following buds I'll do extensive testing: DIY MX500, Auglamour RX1, Qian 69, RY4S Plus, MONK +, VIDO (Blue and White). I'll buy some you already posted compensation for as well.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #50,553 of 75,118
U can find the drivers for sale on the Aliexpress "SMABAT store". I think they have a few different types of drivers available (and their purported effects on sound):

cbA4dzS.png
0yU467p.png
ytSOERu.png

Do remember to collect coupons and stack them on top of the discounted price for more savings! Yes u can use a 2.5 mm MMCX cable on the M2 Pro to get balanced output. Though I find the stock cable with the M2 Pro (3.5 mm) is already quite good haptically and sonically. Look forward to your different experiments with the various drivers, let us know how they sound!

Currently, additional drivers can be purchased cheaper on the official Smabat website (apart from Aliexpress). In addition, only two models are available on Aliexpress.

Maybe that will change during Black Week.

I am thinking about the 2.5 mm MMCX cable for the Smabat M2 Pro because the FiiO BTR5 and Shanling UP4 are said to be better for balanced output.

Can you recommend some nice 2.5 mm MMCX cable for Smabat M2 Pro? :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #50,554 of 75,118
Currently, additional drivers can be purchased cheaper on the official Smabat website (apart from Aliexpress). In addition, only two models are available on Aliexpress.

Maybe that will change during Black Week.

I am thinking about the 2.5 mm MMCX cable for the Smabat M2 Pro because the FiiO BTR5 and Shanling UP4 are said to be better for balanced output.

Can you recommend some nice 2.5 mm MMCX cable for Smabat M2 Pro? :)

You might wanna ask the rest for their recommendations in this cable thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

Personally, I use the NiceHCK 8 or 16 core copper cables on most of my gear, they measure very low on resistances and are cheap, like around $10 USD during sales. I have about 10 of em, not a single one failed me, some are almost 2 years old. These cables have a earhook but I use the SMABAT M2 Pro over ears. If u are using the M2 Pro cable down, you might wanna cut the earhook guides off and use a hairdryer to mould the earhook area straight, or just buy a cable that has no earhooks. Maybe the rest here, or in that above thread can add their advise on cables too.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #50,555 of 75,118
You might wanna ask the rest for their recommendations in this cable thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

Personally, I use the NiceHCK 8 or 16 core copper cables on most of my gear, they measure very low on resistances and are cheap, like around $10 USD during sales. I have about 10 of em, not a single one failed me, some are almost 2 years old. These cables have a earhook but I use the SMABAT M2 Pro over ears. If u are using the M2 Pro cable down, you might wanna cut the earhook guides off and use a hairdryer to mould the earhook area straight, or just buy a cable that has no earhooks. Maybe the rest here, or in that above thread can add their advise on cables too.

Ok. Many thanks :)

Quick question: does anyone have a Smabat M2 Pro vs Yincrow RW-1000 comparison?

I started considering buying Yincrow :wink:

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #50,556 of 75,118
So?
Should I save some cash for 12.12?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-22-13-20-19-427_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-22-13-20-19-427_com.android.chrome.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #50,557 of 75,118
So?
The legend is reborn!. I really like the original EBX model. This was my first non-MX500 buds.
I’m just curious what the new model will look like.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #50,558 of 75,118
So?
Lol. Basically save cash every month for an Aliexpress sale? Aren't we all glad buds are generally really cheap? Love it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #50,559 of 75,118
Lol. Basically save cash every month for an Aliexpress sale? Aren't we all glad buds are generally really cheap? Love it.
The original model was over $100. As I remember I bought mine on sale for around $80.
After that, Nickhck had an offer with a new cable, and it was also possible to buy earphones without a cable for $95.
Could you make a compensation file for the original EBX model? EBX has a V-shape sound signature. The low end is present and has a good ratio of quantity and quality. The mids are recessed and the treble could be softened a bit.

I matched them with a 16-core balanced cable because they deserve this kind of "luxury" :wink:
Nice-HCK-EBX.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #50,560 of 75,118
The original model was over $100. As I remember I bought mine on sale for around $80.
After that, Nickhck had an offer with a new cable, and it was also possible to buy earphones without a cable for $95.
Could you make a compensation file for the original EBX model? EBX has a V-shape sound signature. The low end is present and has a good ratio of quantity and quality. The mids are recessed and the treble could be softened a bit.

I matched them with a 16-core balanced cable because they deserve this kind of "luxury" :wink:
Nice-HCK-EBX.jpg
Absolutely, if I can get measurements or a graph (I can digitally plot them.)

@cenizas is this an earbud you have access to?

Everyone, i have an idea how to calibrate anyone's measurements so I can use them to generate compensation files. I'll elaborate when I get home.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #50,561 of 75,118
Absolutely, if I can get measurements or a graph (I can digitally plot them.)

@cenizas is this an earbud you have access to?

Everyone, i have an idea how to calibrate anyone's measurements so I can use them to generate compensation files. I'll elaborate when I get home.
Unfortunately that's not one that's in my collection.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #50,562 of 75,118
got the 32 ohms wooden shell berylls today, first impression is: wow they have bass and the tuning feels good?, going to actually listen to them properly after I'm out for an hour or two because I find the most substantial settling for burn-in happens fairly quickly for getting actual decent impressions.
Edit: couldn't resist temptation, these remind me a lot of the qian 69, and are now up there with my favorites with it.

Edit2: Wooden shell isn't as comfortable as mx500, for me anyway, get the mx500 version.
Wooden shell version's cable also has strong microphonics for an earbud, it's high quality and all, but rather stuff and a more grippy rubbery, not the more slippery easy to untangle nicehck me80 or moondrop nameless style cable I prefer.
The mx500 one has a braided cable that looks like nicehck b40 or the he150 pro's, which shouldn't have any microphonics issues whatsoever.

I'd say, unless it butchers the sound somehow, the mx500 shell cheaper beryllium 32 ohm earbud is probably a qian 69 killer, though I'll need to compare them side by side, the tuning feels similar to me, everything feels just right in tuning for my ideal (qian 69 style tuning), but with more resolution, maybe the sound stage is a tiny touch worse than the qian 69 but I suspect the mx500 shell version may fix that.

I'll have to wait til february to review the mx500 shell version I just ordered sadly as I'm working interstate, but I ordered it under my houemate's name.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #50,563 of 75,118
Further impressions of the fengru s300 as promised. Tonally this is definitely a midcentric iem with laidback treble and thick, lush mids. Anyone looking for pure resolution or for extra sparkly treble can skip these. Bass is pretty awesome, great micro and macrodynamics despite the thicker signature, and surprisingly good extension. For those not used to this signature bloat might be perceived but personally as someone who really enjoys this signature the bloom just adds body and richness to the lower mids, and if you listen past the bloat, texture and dynamics are still well maintained. Good punch and rumble as well. Mids are exceptional. Rich, lush and extremely well textured. Timbre is spot on as well and tone is lovely, with notes having proper weight behind them. Vocal texture is also handled extremely well. Highly recommended for any mids lovers. Treble it just kind of there, laid back in presentation, lacking a bit of sparkle and extension but that’s typical for this signature, and further directs attention to the lovely mids. Rendering is smooth and texturing is actually pretty solid.

Technicalities wise these aren’t winning any prizes in terms of resolution, but what you do get instead is close to top tier dynamic nuance, texturing and layering. Staging is forward and intimate, but the exceptional layering results in a good sense of space between instruments and lends great depth to the soundstage despite the intimate presentation.

vs ty-hiz 314 300ohms

Tonally the 314 300ohms is warm sounding bud with added treble sparkle. Mids while still warm are not as full bodied and lush as the s300. As a result, resolution is marginally better, but timbre is nowhere near as satisfying as the s300. Treble sparkle and extension are noticeably better on the 314, and staging feels larger as a result of the airier presentation. However, it’s worth noting that although the 314 pushes images further from you than the s300, it doesn’t layer nearly as well and staging as a result is bigger, but flatter and more one dimensional. The s300 while more intimate showcases relative space between instruments far better and hence creates the more dynamic and layered stage. Presentation is not unlike an audeze or hd650, where they image fairly close but show great nuance when it comes to portraying space between instruments.

vs k’s 300

Another budget 300ohm bud, though it’s close to twice the price of the s300. Technically these share a lot of the strengths of the s300, also having excellent layering and dynamics, though with a different tonal presentation. Wouldn’t be surprised if they were using the same driver. The k’s 300 signature is more of slightly warm and dark and slightly bassy, reminiscent of the vido. Lower mids are leaner on the k’s 300, resulting in faster perceived transients and better clarity. It also results in a slightly hollowed out, cavernous effect on the sound, which increases perceived stage size, with a slight cost to tonality. The k’s 300 sounds massive and if anyone is looking for a not too expensive bud that can match some headphones in staging, the k’s 300 is the one I’d recommend. Overall the more neutral presentation through the mids and better resolution means the majority of people likely will prefer the k’s 300 over the s300. But for the select few who love their mids or who want to add a really great rendition of a midcentric sound to their collection, the s300 with its high performance and low cost is a no brainer.

What a great comparison!
Thank you for sharing it.

Would you order the k300 or the s300 if they were at the same price bracket?

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #50,564 of 75,118
What a great comparison!
Thank you for sharing it.

Would you order the k300 or the s300 if they were at the same price bracket?
They're really equals imo (which really makes the s300 ultra value considering it's cheaper, both are well worth the k300's price) just down to signature preference. If you like something warmer and more intimate then s300, if you want something more balanced and grander sounding then k300. Both are great, excellent for their prices, can't go very wrong with either.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #50,565 of 75,118
Just received the Earbuds Anonymous I bought at $25 USD for 11/11.

Earbud anonymous.jpeg

Comes with 2 pairs of donut foams and 2 pairs of full foams and a carrying case. Non detachable cable.

OOTB impressions with full foams on: this is an L shaped set, warm, bassy and smooth with rolled off treble. The bass is midbass focused and north of neutral, with slight subbass roll off. Still better than most other buds in subbass extension, but not as well extended in the bass as the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold. Bass bleeds a bit into mids. Lower mids are depressed slightly with a slight boost in the upper mids, which are nevertheless quite smooth and transparent. Minimal shoutiness in the upper mids unlike some other CHIFI tuned IEMs/earbuds. The treble is rolled off as discussed, with some loss of microdetails in the treble frequencies. No sibilance.

Timbre is very good for acoustic instruments. Technicalities are at least above average, but will need to do further A/B testing against other midfi sets.

Trebleheads best give this set a miss, but treblesensitive folks and bassheads will like it. Very non fatiguing and can be used for hours. Maybe trebleheads can still use it without foam covers to add some clarity and treble to the mix. It may be a bit muddy and overly bass focused with full foams on and this is coming from a basshead.

At the original price of $50 USD (which I would consider as midfi earbuds pricing), there's lots of tough competition from other midfi buds. I would be quite hesistant to recommend the Earbuds Anonymous at this $50 USD price point, and also we have to factor in that it has a non detachable cable (which may be a point of failure down the line). If you can get it for the $25 USD price I got it for, that's quite a nice sounding earbud for the price, especially for bassheads and treblesensitive folk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back