Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #49,051 of 75,069
Someone can tell me what's the difference between K's Bell-LBB, Bell-LBW, Bell-LBS?

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #49,052 of 75,069
Sep 1, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #49,053 of 75,069
Has anyone else noticed red foams tearing more easily when putting them on? I picked up a 40pk from a retailer on aliexpress that I've ordered from before (though in black)

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #49,054 of 75,069
Someone can tell me what's the difference between K's Bell-LBB, Bell-LBW, Bell-LBS?

I think those are the cables/colors. Black, white and with microphone.

At least I assume so given how both the 2018 and 2020 version boxes list them.
IMG_20200816_223607.jpg

Could you write a link newer version K's?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32983779232.html

This now sells the 2020 version. At least it thats how I got my white 2020 one. You can pm them to confirm the box/package is the larger/newer version. Nicehck has always been helpful to me.

Has anyone else noticed red foams tearing more easily when putting them on? I picked up a 40pk from a retailer on aliexpress that I've ordered from before (though in black)

Some colored foams may be made with a softer easier to tear foam than the black ones. At least a couple pairs that I've handled felt that way to me.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #49,055 of 75,069
Could you write a link newer version K's?

I found one seller with the new version LBBs (Option C in the link)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001291477653.html

As mentioned by ClieOS, the tuning is only a little different
Also note that the LBB upgraded model, the LBBs was released just before CNY, but was caught up by the outbreak and thus haven't made it to the international market yet. It retains mostly the same tuning as LBB, but slightly more lively and upfront. If you are not in any hurry and are interested in LBB, the new LBBs will be the better choice.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #49,056 of 75,069
Judging from your EQ, the Rambo needs a treble boost and a significant cut in the mids?

Personally I'd give an emphatic yes to that, I wound up using a similar EQ setting as SamL posted. I've found subbass can be boosted about 2db before starting to hear some distortion on bass-heavy tracks, and treble can be boosted about 3db at most before starting to break up. Jacking the subbass and lowering the midbass/lower mids really cleans up the presentation, and raising the treble results in a slight u-shaped signature without much, if any compromise in sound quality. Though, seeing as I've just gotten the KSC75 and Rambo2 in the past week (as well as the ER2XR), I still need to spend quite a bit of time on all three before I'm comfortable giving any full impressions.

Since you asked relative to the KSC75, my quick and dirty impressions are that (after EQ) the Rambo2 is more resolving, also its soundstage seems to be on par with the KSC75, possibly a little smaller but the presence of subbass sort of counteracts that. Imaging is cleaner thanks to better resolution. The KSC75 might have slightly better timbre but I'm not quite sure yet. KSC75 no doubt has better default tuning, but after EQ I feel fairly certain the Rambo2 is better. Still gotta get used to things though so fair warning, I might change my mind later.

Also, I asked ISN what materials they used for the Rambo2 and they refused to answer, which was kinda funny. Penon replied that the diaphragm is "titanium composite", so it's likely some sort of titanium coated plastic, which seems to be a common configuration (the KSC75 uses titanium coated mylar, apparently).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200901-204834.png
    Screenshot_20200901-204834.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200831-134017.png
    Screenshot_20200831-134017.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #49,057 of 75,069
Personally I'd give an emphatic yes to that, I wound up using a similar EQ setting as SamL posted. I've found subbass can be boosted about 2db before starting to hear some distortion on bass-heavy tracks, and treble can be boosted about 3db at most before starting to break up. Jacking the subbass and lowering the midbass/lower mids really cleans up the presentation, and raising the treble results in a slight u-shaped signature without much, if any compromise in sound quality. Though, seeing as I've just gotten the KSC75 and Rambo2 in the past week (as well as the ER2XR), I still need to spend quite a bit of time on all three before I'm comfortable giving any full impressions.

Since you asked relative to the KSC75, my quick and dirty impressions are that (after EQ) the R2 is more resolving, also its soundstage seems to be on par with the KSC75, possibly a little smaller but the presence of subbass sort of counteracts that. Imaging is cleaner thanks to better resolution. The KSC75 might have slightly better timbre but I'm not quite sure yet. KSC75 no doubt has better default tuning, but after EQ I feel fairly certain the R2 is better. Still gotta get used to things though so fair warning, I might change my mind later.

Also, I asked ISN what materials they used for the Rambo2 and they refused to answer, which was kinda funny. Penon replied that the diaphragm is "titanium composite", so it's likely some sort of titanium coated plastic, which seems to be a common configuration (the KSC75 uses titanium coated mylar, apparently).
I'm surprised isn wouldn't give an answer. As you no doubt are aware, just keep in mind as you move back and forth from Rambo's to the etys and Koss, they are really different fundamentally how they all present sound. I picked up those etys when they dropped to $119 earlier this year. Couldn't resist, was pondering a purchase for over a year. The etys are still among my favorite iems, even with all the amazing chifi stuff that followed (picked up the it00, Legacy 3, and awaiting for aq7). I still don't see anything completely displacing the etys.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #49,058 of 75,069

Since you asked relative to the KSC75, my quick and dirty impressions are that (after EQ) the R2 is more resolving, also its soundstage seems to be on par with the KSC75, possibly a little smaller but the presence of subbass sort of counteracts that. Imaging is cleaner thanks to better resolution. The KSC75 might have slightly better timbre but I'm not quite sure yet. KSC75 no doubt has better default tuning, but after EQ I feel fairly certain the R2 is better. Still gotta get used to things though so fair warning, I might change my mind later.

Thanks for your detailed insight. Looking forward to hearing more on the Rambo 2 and the KSC75 as you get more listening time with them.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #49,059 of 75,069
The etys are still among my favorite iems, even with all the amazing chifi stuff that followed

For sure, the etymotics are superb. This is the first time I've had to critically compare stuff, so currently I'm using the ER2XR to build a small test library and get familiar with all the nuances in each track, after that I'll see how much carries over to the Rambo2 and KSC75. Of course it's unfair to compare an iem to an earbud/earphone, but it's all I have to work with.

I will say I was impressed with how resolving the Rambo2 was coming off the ER2XR, even taking bass response into account. ER2XR is still better but the Rambo2 is no slouch either. Still gonna take me a while to really figure things out.

If the Rambo2 had better default tuning I'd absolutely agree with the $70 price tag, and I'm already pretty cheap. If I weren't in a hurry I'd wait for a sale, maybe ask Penon if they'll ever bundle another cable with it again. The stock cable is a bit flimsy.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #49,060 of 75,069
For sure, the etymotics are superb. This is the first time I've had to critically compare stuff, so currently I'm using the ER2XR to build a small test library and get familiar with all the nuances in each track, after that I'll see how much carries over to the R2 and KSC75. Of course it's unfair to compare an iem to an earbud/earphone, but it's all I have to work with.

I will say I was impressed with how resolving the R2 was coming off the ER2XR, even taking bass response into account. ER2 is still better but the R2 is no slouch either. Still gonna take me a while to really figure things out.

If the R2 had better default tuning I'd absolutely agree with the $70 price tag, and I'm already pretty cheap. If I weren't in a hurry I'd wait for a sale, maybe ask Penon if they'll ever bundle another cable with it again. The stock cable is a bit flimsy.

I would like to confirm that "R2" means Rambo II, and "ER2" means ER2XR?
If so, changing the naming the same sentences without notice would make the person hard to read the sentences with unsure of what it means.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #49,061 of 75,069
I would like to confirm that "R2" means Rambo II, and "ER2" means ER2XR?
Correct, I was being lazy. I'll go back and edit the proper names in.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #49,062 of 75,069
I rarely listen to my gear on my laptop after my oppo ha2 and meridian explorer died. :frowning2: I also picked up an LG v60 at the start of the pandemic and am still in love with the device. But tonight I though I'd connect my qudelix 5k and play with apo/peace eq to see what the results show.

For this experimental session, I tried to make the monk plus mimic the harman target.

How does it sound now? Not bad. A really lean sound since the driver is incapable of producing sub-bass and harman treble tend to be a bit bright to my ears. I could probably get things a bit closer to the harman target but I wanted to keep my eq ranges matched up with the freq ranges on the v60 eq.

monk plus eq harman.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #49,063 of 75,069
I rarely listen to my gear on my laptop after my oppo ha2 and meridian explorer died. :frowning2: I also picked up an LG v60 at the start of the pandemic and am still in love with the device. But tonight I though I'd connect my qudelix 5k and play with apo/peace eq to see what the results show.

For this experimental session, I tried to make the monk plus mimic the harman target.

monk eq harman.jpg

How does it sound now? Not bad. A really lean sound since the driver is incapable of producing sub-bass and harman treble tend to be a bit bright to my ears. I could probably get things a bit closer to the harman target but I wanted to keep my eq ranges matched up with the freq ranges on the v60 eq.

Did you use the parametric EQ on the Qudelix 5K to do this? If yes, mind sharing your PEQ settings? I want to try this on my 5K myself.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #49,064 of 75,069
Can anyone compare Monk+ to BK2?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #49,065 of 75,069
Can anyone compare Monk+ to BK2?

It's been awhile since I last listened to the Monk Plus, so I'm not sure I trust myself to make a wholly accurate assessment. In a nutshell, I guess overall I'd say the BK2 sounds more balanced. Cleaner. Perhaps the others here might be able to help you out.

Just putting this out there. I enjoyed the past several days that I spent with the EMX500 Bro. They sound pretty good. Not the bassiest but that's alright with me. Treble well extended and controlled. Spacious soundstage. I remember being surprised by instrument placement & separation once or twice.

Cable is a bit stiff and kinda tangle-y, but other than that I could find little to fault with them. Good underrated earbuds for not much more money than a Vido. These should be more talked about, IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back