Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #49,037 of 75,063
Why do you prefer the Rambo 2 over the st10s if I may ask?
I really haven't compared the two extensively yet. The s10s just never really "grabbed" me. The Rambo's at first listen were compelling. While the Smabats have deeper bass and a smidge more detail in the trembles, the Rambo's bass is more textured, a bit faster and the mids are more engaging and warmer as well. The Smabat's mids are a tad analytical, which I can appreciate but when considered with the overall SQ, seems lackluster.

Perhaps the biggest factor in favoring the Rambo's is my preference towards earbuds and iems that are distinctive. The Smabats sound uninteresting. The Rambo's sound unique right off the bat. One more thing. The Rambo's have a wider and deeper soundstage than the Smabats.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #49,038 of 75,063
I really haven't compared the two extensively yet. The s10s just never really "grabbed" me. The Rambo's at first listen were compelling. While the Smabats have deeper bass and a smidge more detail in the trembles, the Rambo's bass is more textured, a bit faster and the mids are more engaging and warmer as well. The Smabat's mids are a tad analytical, which I can appreciate but when considered with the overall SQ, seems lackluster.

Perhaps the biggest factor in favoring the Rambo's is my preference towards earbuds and iems that are distinctive. The Smabats sound uninteresting. The Rambo's sound unique right off the bat. One more thing. The Rambo's have a wider and deeper soundstage than the Smabats.

Really?
Does anyone have a second opinion?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #49,039 of 75,063
Really?
Does anyone have a second opinion?
I might be a little hard on my smabat assessment. I still think they are worth the money and am perfectly happy with my purchase.

One last observation, from looking at the graph, I would of much preferred the Smabats but in real life the Rambo's convey way more qualitative sonic info then their graph indicates.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #49,040 of 75,063
I might be a little hard on my smabat assessment. I still think they are worth the money and am perfectly happy with my purchase.

One last observation, from looking at the graph, I would of much preferred the Smabats but in real life the Rambo's convey way more qualitative sonic info then their graph indicates.

I have the Svara 32 ohms which I love and which are the precursor to the Smabat's. Therefore I've always lusted after the Smabat's (maybe leaning towards the the black/gold version). But you seem to have similar tastes as mine, so you're getting me intrigued with these "Rambo II's". I also see other distinguished folks such as @ClieOS and @cqtek saying good things about them. Hmm, I see that the are still a bit pricey (ie $100CN) for my frugal tastes. But it might still work if I have a few too many glasses of cheap wine one of these nights :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #49,041 of 75,063
I just got my Rambo2's today, I'll post my full impressions in the next few days. My biggest complaint is the default tuning, the bass and mids blend into each other causing a fair amount of congestion. Fortunately it does respond to EQ quite well and I was able to lower the mids and raise the treble for a much cleaner presentation. I also agree with @Sam L that the frequency response is a bit misleading; the treble on the Rambo2 is surprisingly competent, even after EQ. One other complaint, albeit minor is the timbre isn't as rich as I hoped, though overall it's still acceptable. Not endgame but still decent. Resolution, soundstage and imaging are all good. I'll post more later.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #49,042 of 75,063
I just got my Rambo 2's today, I'll post my full impressions in the next few days. My biggest complaint is the default tuning, the bass and mids blend into each other causing a fair amount of congestion. Fortunately it does respond to EQ quite well and I was able to lower the mids and raise the treble for a much cleaner presentation. I also agree with @Sam L that the frequency response is a bit misleading; the treble on the r2 is surprisingly competent, even after EQ. One other complaint, albeit minor is the timbre isn't as rich as I hoped, though overall it's still acceptable. Not endgame but still decent. Resolution, soundstage and imaging are all good. I'll post more later.
Yeah, the default tuning is pretty much par for the course for most earbuds - - sloppy delineation between bass and mids, overall super warm with some obscuring of low end and mid range detail.

I'm typically on a v60 as my source. Screenshots_2020-08-31-20-35-33.png

Cleans things up nicely. Great transparency.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #49,043 of 75,063
I just got my Rambo 2's today, I'll post my full impressions in the next few days. My biggest complaint is the default tuning, the bass and mids blend into each other causing a fair amount of congestion. Fortunately it does respond to EQ quite well and I was able to lower the mids and raise the treble for a much cleaner presentation. I also agree with @Sam L that the frequency response is a bit misleading; the treble on the r2 is surprisingly competent, even after EQ. One other complaint, albeit minor is the timbre isn't as rich as I hoped, though overall it's still acceptable. Not endgame but still decent. Resolution, soundstage and imaging are all good. I'll post more later.

Thanks for your second opinion.
Considering the price of $69.00, this is news.

Thanks for the graphs by @Sam L and @ClieOS.
s10s_vs_rambo_ii_foam.png

smabat st-10s silver retune vs gold.png

Smabat ST-10S_Gold_vs_Smabat ST-10_Green.png

When I look at these graphs,
Rambo II is decreaseing under 100Hz and it seems to need EQ.
ST 10s silver is decreaseing under 60Hz and it does not seem to need EQ?
ST 10s gold is even more expensive, so is ignored here.
ST 10 green is decreaseing under 50Hz and it does not seem to need EQ, and others are similar to Rambo II.

ST 10 green without EQ is a bit expensive, but may be the best??? at least for me.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #49,044 of 75,063
Hi Everyone

Is K's LBB's still the best choice under the USD50 budget when it comes to balanced sounding earbud?

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #49,045 of 75,063
Hi Everyone

Is K's LBB's still the best choice under the USD50 budget when it comes to balanced sounding earbud?

Haven't heard the LBB, but my vote goes to BK2 for a balanced sound. 20 usd during sales with detachable cable.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #49,046 of 75,063
Incredible looking cable, how are they?
quick listen, well balanced, they extend well from the bass to the high without beeing too much or too little, bass going deep or punchy when is needed, and if some recording is not well made or poor compressed you will hear it immediatly mostly on the highs to my ears, the stage is big, or maybe because voices and instrument seems are away from the listener, not too much, but neither directly in face, but this is probably makes the stage seeming big, remains very good the coerence in placing the instrument in the stage, there is a lot of clarity in the sound that helps, and details, but remains a pleasant musicality that spur me to listen more and more rather than changing song on and on, and it happened only few times in my audio jurney. As quick comparison, the Penon BS1 official aren't so coherent in their imaging and the tonalty seems to me sterile and artificial, so I'm very happy with this discovery :L3000: looking forward to receive the others :ksc75smile:

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #49,047 of 75,063
Haven't heard the LBB, but my vote goes to BK2 for a balanced sound. 20 usd during sales with detachable cable.
The cable included to the BK2 is a silver-plated copper wire, but to make the BK2's bass enough, the cable must be changed to copper wire.
For even more bass, double the foam.
bk2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #49,048 of 75,063
Yeah, the default tuning is pretty much par for the course for most earbuds - - sloppy delineation between bass and mids, overall super warm with some obscuring of low end and mid range detail.

I'm typically on a v60 as my source. Screenshots_2020-08-31-20-35-33.png

Cleans things up nicely. Great transparency.

Judging from your EQ, the Rambo needs a treble boost and a significant cut in the mids?

Hi Everyone

Do be aware there's a newer version of K's LBBs. Mine should arrive sometime soon.

quick listen, well balanced, they extend well from the bass to the high without beeing too much or too little, bass going deep or punchy when is needed, and if some recording is not well made or poor compressed you will hear it immediatly mostly on the highs to my ears, the stage is big, or maybe because voices and instrument seems are away from the listener, not too much, but neither directly in face, but this is probably makes the stage seeming big, remains very good the coerence in placing the instrument in the stage, there is a lot of clarity in the sound that helps, and details, but remains a pleasant musicality that spur me to listen more and more rather than changing song on and on, and it happened only few times in my audio jurney. As quick comparison, the Penon BS1 official aren't so coherent in their imaging and the tonalty seems to me sterile and artificial, so I'm very happy with this discovery :L3000: looking forward to receive the others :ksc75smile:

Just curious, how much did this earbud cost? Cable a bit too thick and heavy, maybe? Other than that, they look lovely.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #49,049 of 75,063
Judging from your EQ, the Rambo needs a treble boost and a significant cut in the mids?

Do be aware there's a newer version of K's LBBs. Mine should arrive sometime soon.

Just curious, how much did this earbud cost? Cable a bit too thick and heavy, maybe? Other than that, they look lovely.

Re: Rambo 2 eq, I don't listen with this setting all the time, may 30% of the time and mostly when I'm coming from my iems and know that I'm not going to stay with earbuds for more than a single 40-60 minute listening session.

I target the harman curve with not quite as much treble or bass boost.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #49,050 of 75,063

is not heavy even with the sleeve, but you can ask if you don't want it without sleeve, 125 dollars with the HUM 4.4 jack plus shipping

I don't think I will need anymore the Penon one "unfortunately" :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back