Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #48,527 of 75,148
I now finally have both the Nicehck ME80 and B40 both in my hands, both are new out of the box. Its' been about a full month since I listened to the B40's (I've been using other gear) so I completely forgot how they sounded like.

The ME80's are definitely a donut earphone while the B40's are a full foam for me. The ME80's sound screechy with full covers and the B40's sound screechy with donuts. The B40 also has cheap bass impact (sort of like slapping a door with a rattly doorknob), but it receives the full bass treatment with full covers. However the ME80 is technically better due to the much better sub-bass response. The B40 has almost non-existent sub-bass.

The ME80's are about 20-30% clearer and they sound better with the donuts unlike the B40's with donuts, however the ME80's suffer from upper mid lift which can leave violins sounding too forward and piercing. The B40's are slightly laid back with full covers, but they actually sound more natural than the ME80's with full covers.

The ME80 has shockingly tall soundstage and good detail retrieval when it comes to pulling in background details. In most headphones there's usually 1 layer and then there would be sound that would disappear into the background creating depth outside your head, but the ME80 has 2 very distinct layers and it's pretty cool.

Winner goes to the B40 for everyday non-fatiguing usage and ME80's for temporary enjoyment.

P.S. how do you guys cut out your earbud foams to turn them into donuts?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #48,528 of 75,148
I now finally have both the Nicehck ME80 and B40 both in my hands, both are new out of the box. Its' been about a full month since I listened to the B40's (I've been using other gear) so I completely forgot how they sounded like.

The ME80's are definitely a donut earphone while the B40's are a full foam for me. The ME80's sound screechy with full covers and the B40's sound screechy with donuts. The B40 also has cheap bass impact (sort of like slapping a door with a rattly doorknob), but it receives the full bass treatment with full covers. However the ME80 is technically better due to the much better sub-bass response. The B40 has almost non-existent sub-bass.

The ME80's are about 20-30% clearer and they sound better with the donuts unlike the B40's with donuts, however the ME80's suffer from upper mid lift which can leave violins sounding too forward and piercing. The B40's are slightly laid back with full covers, but they actually sound more natural than the ME80's with full covers.

The ME80 has shockingly tall soundstage and good detail retrieval when it comes to pulling in background details. In most headphones there's usually 1 layer and then there would be sound that would disappear into the background creating depth outside your head, but the ME80 has 2 very distinct layers and it's pretty cool.

Winner goes to the B40 for everyday non-fatiguing usage and ME80's for temporary enjoyment.

P.S. how do you guys cut out your earbud foams to turn them into donuts?

Regular type donut foams are made that way.

You can make offset hole ones like I do or several smaller holes if you want as well.

I use a small hole punch. Insert into foam hole on the backside, then simply press down against a softer surface like a cutting board and rotate my hand in a circular motion (wax on, wax off daniel-san) on the held end while keeping the tip at the same spot, to make sure it evenly cuts the circle. You can also try twisting if you have the end flat against the surface.

I bought several sizes but have settled with using the 3mm size on new foams (hole stretches wider once fitted).

This is with a 4mm punch.
20190329_190514.jpg

I know others have used hole punch tools. They look like a larger version of a paper hole punch with an end that has 5-6 different size punches you can choose.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #48,531 of 75,148
Actually, not here. Happy that I had some other foams from Faaeal, etc.

I tried y'day a couple of hours on a SR15. It is a very very extreamly capable earbud, it reproduces my reference recordings almost very good, but: It does present the drums not "in the face" that is how I like to perceive the energy and power of a recording. And I dont like how it presents sometimes male voices (to certain extent hollow and soulless), on the other hand it reproduces extreamly well female voices and distorted guitars. Also I found the bass to be not bleeding out, very well controlled. Nevertheless I want to sell the Smabat 10s Black-Gold as I had to wait 3 months for and purchased in the meantime Mee Audio's P1 which I am extreamly fine with. Asking 50€ + p&p to someone in this thread, otherwise 75€ + p&p in the mkt section within the EU so no taxes involved. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_112541279 - Kopie.jpg
    IMG_20200721_112541279 - Kopie.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #48,532 of 75,148

I tried y'day a couple of hours on a SR15. It is a very very extreamly capable earbud, it reproduces my reference recordings almost very good, but: It does present the drums not "in the face" that is how I like to perceive the energy and power of a recording. And I dont like how it presents sometimes male voices (to certain extent hollow and soulless), on the other hand it reproduces extreamly well female voices and distorted guitars. Also I found the bass to be not bleeding out, very well controlled. Nevertheless I want to sell the Smabat 10s Black-Gold as I had to wait 3 months for and purchased in the meantime Mee Audio's P1 which I am extreamly fine with. Asking 50€ + p&p to someone in this thread, otherwise 75€ + p&p in the mkt section within the EU so no taxes involved. Thanks!!
Strange, that's where they were on mine. Anyways, I only had one pair of full foams, donut foams and silicone covers each with my pair, so agreed that the accessories are a bit lacking especially at this price point.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #48,533 of 75,148

Sent you a PM :)

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #48,538 of 75,148

Have you tried any earbuds that can seriously rival the Mee P1? The P1 has been my go-to for ages, and a few months ago I bought a smabat m1 to try out. Its OK, but it is no competition in regards to clarity, seperation etc. I've been warned about the big drop of diminishing returns with earbuds, so I've held off from purchasing any TOTLS to avoid future disappointments, but I'd love to know if youve experienced anything that can rival it.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #48,539 of 75,148
Have you tried any earbuds that can seriously rival the Mee P1? The P1 has been my go-to for ages, and a few months ago I bought a smabat m1 to try out. Its OK, but it is no competition in regards to clarity, seperation etc. I've been warned about the big drop of diminishing returns with earbuds, so I've held off from purchasing any TOTLS to avoid future disappointments, but I'd love to know if youve experienced anything that can rival it.
The Mee Audio P1 isn't an earbud as far as I can tell.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #48,540 of 75,148
I'm searching to buy Astrotec Lyra Nature and DQSM Turandot. If you have some for sale, let me know))

I have few amazing earbuds for the trade as well: smabat m1 pro, ST10s silver, ABnormallabs Diomnes LV2...pure silver hi-end cable Penon Leo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back