RY4S Plus
Yincrow X6
Qian25
Qian69
Fengru EMX500
Vido White or Red
VE Monk
TinGo TC200
Thanks a lot, can you tell me a bit about their sound signature? If I buy monk+, Tingo tc200, and Qian25, will I get different sound signatures all together or will they overlap a lot?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #48,242 of 75,141
Hi everyone. I am a complete noob in earphones. They piqued my interest a month ago and now I want to try some earbuds. I want to buy 3-4 earbuds on this summer sale, my combined budget is 20-25$. I want to try different sound signatures to get a feel as to which one suits me better, so please give me as diversified list as you can. Here's a list I made seeing the post in this thread but I am not sure which to pick from here to cover a lot of signatures. Thanks in advance. :relaxed:

1.Nicehck ME80
2.Yincrow X6
3.Nicehck B40
4.Faaeal Snow-Lotus 1.0 plus commemorative
5.Faaeal Snow-Lotus 1.0
6.Faaeal Iris 2.0
7.Headroom MS16
8.Fengru Tingo TC200
9.VE Monk Plus
10.Vido
11. RY4S plus

Instead of trying different signatures (which is not a bad thing), since you mentioned you are new to earbuds it may make sense to try a few earbuds with different designs because earbuds can be a bit finicky to get the correct fit depending on your ear shape and size.

My 2 cents.

P.S. With the NiceHCK B40, you can get 2 different signatures on that earbud just by changing the foams. Donut foam will give you clearer mids, full foam will give you warmer mids and a bit more bass but it may sound a little bloated or muddy when listening to busy sounding music.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #48,244 of 75,141
Instead of trying different signatures (which is not a bad thing), since you mentioned you are new to earbuds it may make sense to try a few earbuds with different designs because earbuds can be a bit finicky to get the correct fit depending on your ear shape and size.

My 2 cents.

P.S. With the NiceHCK B40, you can get 2 different signatures on that earbud just by changing the foams. Donut foam will give you clearer mids, full foam will give you warmer mids and a bit more bass but it may sound a little bloated or muddy when listening to busy sounding music.
Thanks, I guess I should try different shells to see the fit. What do you think about the following list, should I order these?
1.ME80
2.B40
3.Fengru Tingo Tc200
4.Monk+/Yincrow X6/MS16
I am not sure about the last one though. I really want to try monk+ or vido(x6) because of their hype, on the other hand, MS16 will basically cover most of the earbuds style. It's really hard to decide on 4!! :confounded:

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #48,245 of 75,141
Thanks, I guess I should try different shells to see the fit. What do you think about the following list, should I order these?
1.ME80
2.B40
3.Fengru Tingo Tc200
4.Monk+/Yincrow X6/MS16
I am not sure about the last one though. I really want to try monk+ or vido(x6) because of their hype, on the other hand, MS16 will basically cover most of the earbuds style. It's really hard to decide on 4!! :confounded:

Sure, seems like a good list to start with, maybe go with the MS16 for #4 so that you can try a different shell.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #48,246 of 75,141
Normally I would be listening to iems, but I often find their sound too intense for that time of night.......last night listening to the faaeal iris 2.0 for the first time with no ambient noise..... It was so relaxing....the perception of a large soundstage like you are wearing headphones (but without the uncomfortable weight or awkwardness of large headphones), and with a gentle balanced sound that wasn't too stimulating. I felt like I could lay there forever..... This was a new audiophile feeling for me. And once again I was feeling shocked by the sound quality of $6 earbuds.

And there you have it--my number one reason for earbuds as opposed to iems: comfortable, relaxed sound, with a soundstage that invites me to listen to the music, not the headphones.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #48,247 of 75,141
Normally I would be listening to iems, but I often find their sound too intense for that time of night.......last night listening to the faaeal iris 2.0 for the first time with no ambient noise..... It was so relaxing....the perception of a large soundstage like you are wearing headphones (but without the uncomfortable weight or awkwardness of large headphones), and with a gentle balanced sound that wasn't too stimulating. I felt like I could lay there forever..... This was a new audiophile feeling for me. And once again I was feeling shocked by the sound quality of $6 earbuds.
And there you have it--my number one reason for earbuds as opposed to iems: comfortable, relaxed sound, with a soundstage that invites me to listen to the music, not the headphones.
@Ron Good Concur completely!

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #48,248 of 75,141
Awaiting RY4S plus still. When the AE sale hits tomorrow, picking up Edifier H180, TY HiZ 32, NicehCK B40 and Iris 1.0. Also some prewired MMCX sockets so I can mod any earpieces that fit me and sound good.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #48,249 of 75,141
Awaiting RY4S plus still. When the AE sale hits tomorrow, picking up Edifier H180, TY HiZ 32, NicehCK B40 and Iris 1.0. Also some prewired MMCX sockets that I will mod any earpieces that fit me and I like the sound of.

Nice!

Does anyone know how the FAAEAL Iris 2.0 compares to the 1.0 version?

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #48,250 of 75,141
1.ME80
2.B40
3.Fengru Tingo Tc200
4.Monk+/Yincrow X6/MS16
It’s hard to go wrong with the X6. Highly recommended.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #48,251 of 75,141
Ok, so I have been chatting with Wong about his earbuds. Very nice guy; friendly and helpful.

My question is to those of you who have his boutique products; could you compare to some of your commercial high-end earbuds? Or if you have two or more of his ear buds which do you prefer?

Since I have only $6 iris 2.0 should I jump straight to his TOTL magic or would people advise to spend more time exploring cheaper, but popular commercial models as we read here on the forum before deciding which of his models to get at some later point in time?

Thanks! :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #48,252 of 75,141
Ok, so I have been chatting with Wong about his earbuds. Very nice guy; friendly and helpful.

My question is to those of you who have his boutique products; could you compare to some of your commercial high-end earbuds? Or if you have two or more of his ear buds which do you prefer?

Since I have only $6 iris 2.0 should I jump straight to his TOTL magic or would people advise to spend more time exploring cheaper, but popular commercial models as we read here on the forum before deciding which of his models to get at some later point in time?

Thanks! :)
There is nothing like a Blur. Wong is beyond the serious DIY'er and approaches his work as an appreciating artist. He is meticulous and takes his time tuning; there is no rushing him. I honestly do not recall seeing or reading a single post from a disappointed customer who has bought from him... ever. Everyone has been more than pleased with his work. With that said, I honestly don't think there is any real fair comparison to give you as they are so uniquely tuned.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #48,253 of 75,141
There is nothing like a Blur. Wong is beyond the serious DIY'er and approaches his work as an appreciating artist. He is meticulous and takes his time tuning; there is no rushing him. I honestly do not recall seeing or reading a single post from a disappointed customer who has bought from him... ever. Everyone has been more than pleased with his work. With that said, I honestly don't think there is any real fair comparison to give you as they are so uniquely tuned.
Thanks.

Does that mean they are uniquely tuned in a way that makes commercial, cheaper iems seem irrelevant/pointlessly?

Is it possible to describe, from your perspective, the tuning?

Thanks.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #48,254 of 75,141
Thanks.

Does that mean they are uniquely tuned in a way that makes commercial, cheaper iems seem irrelevant/pointlessly?

Is it possible to describe, from your perspective, the tuning?

Thanks.
Simply different. And to be clear there is no comparison with IEMs. Earbuds are much more similar to Open Backs than IEMs... as IEMs are more similar to Closed Backs. Many have likened the Blur house sound to the neutral, well timbre'd, and detailed Sennheiser HD600, I would agree with this. I am extremely sensitive to treble and overly detailed headphones in general... as much as I love my Blurs I can only use them for short one to two hour sessions so they are only used for critical, short day-time listening sessions. Please do not take this as a "con" but rather a personal hearing issue that I have with most headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #48,255 of 75,141
@prionsarebad I'd recommend taking your time working your way up. Your best values are always going to be early on, with the best compromise between cost and quality probably around $100 USD give or take. I'd probably recommend getting three starter earbuds to anyone new to this format. A brassy earbud, one with good mids, and a treble oriented to give you a reference for your tastes.

Earbuds simply cannot be compared to IEMs or full sized given their nature, so taking your time to learn and enjoy the journey will give you the best idea of exactly what you're seeking when or if you do go to TOTL. The counterargument is that if you do absolutely know you'll buy TOTL, you'll overall spend less money going straight there, but there's more of a risk of not getting the ideal sound. I haven't been around for awhile, but in my experience I feel the journey helped me the most figure out what I'm after.

Then again I did spend a large amount for my end game earbud, and also got a decent amount of what might be considered TOTL, so a lot of money could have been saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back