Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #48,167 of 75,072
My comment to the reviewer:

"Bro, it is painful to read...you must be very new to the earbud's world,as it very,very different from cans and iems. Consequently, requires some experience, very certain sources (daps,dac/amps...), different types of eartips (materials,brands,forms) and to know tricks of how to put different cases the best into the "earshell".

1) all cons that you describe is related to the thickest donuts (eartips) which is put above the head of earbuds. Shozy put them to BK (owned 6 of them) as well and it is the hugest mistake on their side.
The influence of donuts on the sound of earbuds: cut highs; decrease details,especially micro; add bass and its deepness+quantity; cut the widness of the scene; breaks positioning of the instrument in the space and makes separation worse; hides true potential of clarity and adds the mug to the soundwaves.

Pretty much all what you have experienced with SG is donuts' fault.

2) SG requires thinnest "full-surface" foams. Regular thick full foams does not work (they almost never work), as they decrease micro details and clarity. In contrast, thin full foams represent those parameters in its best!

3) SG need to be listened cable down AND need to be turned a little bit to the ear canal. So they should not sit parallel to the ear, but supposed to have certain angle in the "earshell".

4) there is around 4 kind of earbuds (like full-size cans): opened, closed, semi-opened and "chameleon" (can be both opened and closed).
Closed earbuds must be used with thick donuts foams, otherwise the sounstage, the scene is just corrupted, bass is not full, mids and high sounds off, too close and sharp (abnormallabs Dietris,TY-HZ F150-ts). Opened earbuds hate donuts, requires thin foams or can be used without foams at all (ZEN,monks,BK,SG,ST10). Semi-opened earbuds are something between - they need some experiments in order to find right one or combination of few (Smabat M1 Pro, K'Black Ling). Finally, there are exceptions which good with almost any earbuds (there are non-factory models or chi-fi; those usually hand-crafted and limited in quantity. I know two models as such Atmoshere and Eqvilibrium mk2 by Islam - earbud-genius from Russia. But even those still lean towards some side - usually opened).

5) sources are too unnatural or so-so with earbuds. So better to add some community-approved solutions like aune m1s, DTR1, Dx100, Shanling M2 and so on.

So my friend, please, do the tests again with different foams and can try even without them and trust me, you will receive completely different picture from the one you now have. It will be interesting to see what will it be. In this case additions to your review will be fruitful for all."

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #48,169 of 75,072
Tis a big pity @ClieOS to lose your great experience and earbuds knowledge. Do hope to see u back here one day! I definitely learnt a lot about buds from u.

Anyways, shout out to the mods, who have kindly assisted in migrating info from the interim earbuds thread of the last week over here, so all the great suggestions and advise from the community was seamlessly ported!

Glad this place is back and up running!

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #48,170 of 75,072
My comment to the reviewer:

"Bro, it is painful to read...you must be very new to the earbud's world,as it very,very different from cans and iems. Consequently, requires some experience, very certain sources (daps,dac/amps...), different types of eartips (materials,brands,forms) and to know tricks of how to put different cases the best into the "earshell".

1) all cons that you describe is related to the thickest donuts (eartips) which is put above the head of earbuds. Shozy put them to BK (owned 6 of them) as well and it is the hugest mistake on their side.
The influence of donuts on the sound of earbuds: cut highs; decrease details,especially micro; add bass and its deepness+quantity; cut the widness of the scene; breaks positioning of the instrument in the space and makes separation worse; hides true potential of clarity and adds the mug to the soundwaves.

Pretty much all what you have experienced with SG is donuts' fault.

2) SG requires thinnest "full-surface" foams. Regular thick full foams does not work (they almost never work), as they decrease micro details and clarity. In contrast, thin full foams represent those parameters in its best!

3) SG need to be listened cable down AND need to be turned a little bit to the ear canal. So they should not sit parallel to the ear, but supposed to have certain angle in the "earshell".

4) there is around 4 kind of earbuds (like full-size cans): opened, closed, semi-opened and "chameleon" (can be both opened and closed).
Closed earbuds must be used with thick donuts foams, otherwise the sounstage, the scene is just corrupted, bass is not full, mids and high sounds off, too close and sharp (abnormallabs Dietris,TY-HZ F150-ts). Opened earbuds hate donuts, requires thin foams or can be used without foams at all (ZEN,monks,BK,SG,ST10). Semi-opened earbuds are something between - they need some experiments in order to find right one or combination of few (Smabat M1 Pro, K'Black Ling). Finally, there are exceptions which good with almost any earbuds (there are non-factory models or chi-fi; those usually hand-crafted and limited in quantity. I know two models as such Atmoshere and Eqvilibrium mk2 by Islam - earbud-genius from Russia. But even those still lean towards some side - usually opened).

5) sources are too unnatural or so-so with earbuds. So better to add some community-approved solutions like aune m1s, DTR1, Dx100, Shanling M2 and so on.

So my friend, please, do the tests again with different foams and can try even without them and trust me, you will receive completely different picture from the one you now have. It will be interesting to see what will it be. In this case additions to your review will be fruitful for all."

I can confirm with my Shozy BKs: Donuts were TERRIBLE. Bloated bass, narrowed soundstage, etc. Thick foams veiled the sound. The thin foams I got from Aliexpress turned them into the earbuds their price demanded them to be:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790634729.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.39804c4d3QVla4

Under $1 for 100 of the best foams. All my earbuds sound better with these.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #48,171 of 75,072
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #48,172 of 75,072
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #48,173 of 75,072
I'm a Swede, I live near Göteborg 😊
I've read this forum on and off for many years, but seldom post anything 😝

You've been registered here longer than I have!

No, there's another guy. I know his real name since he bought a pair of earbuds from me but I don't remember what his Head fi name was.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #48,175 of 75,072
I can confirm with my Shozy BKs: Donuts were TERRIBLE. Bloated bass, narrowed soundstage, etc. Thick foams veiled the sound. The thin foams I got from Aliexpress turned them into the earbuds their price demanded them to be:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790634729.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.39804c4d3QVla4

Under $1 for 100 of the best foams. All my earbuds sound better with these.
Here is when the local carrier here in sweden is gonna charge me like 8 usd extra for those....

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #48,176 of 75,072
So these took a hella long time to arrive considering I bought them off someone in Greece but they're finally here! Have heard some great things about 'em, anyone else have a pair of these Fontopia E828s?
20200604_120428.jpg

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #48,178 of 75,072
Just received some nicehck b40’s.
Fairly balanced, neutral sound with unexpectedly decent resolution and soundstage.
Pleasantly surprised!

It was my first ever bud that I bought, was my gateway into this buds rabbithole. I am still amazed with the price to performance ratio it provides. For the price of a Starbucks coffee to boot!
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit me that great, if not I would have used it more.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #48,180 of 75,072
The thread has been re-opened in honour of Tom's memory. I won't however be posting in here anymore, so PM me if you need to ask me anything. Regard.
@ClieOS its so sad - can't imagine this thread without you :slight_frown:. You and @HungryPanda will always remain our earbuds knights in shining armour :v:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back