Earbuds Round-Up
May 30, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #48,106 of 75,079
May 30, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #48,108 of 75,079
I would be very interested in seeing pics of people wearing their various ear buds. I’ve always found fit to be an issue, as they keep falling out of my ears, even when using foam coverings.

May 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #48,109 of 75,079
Serious earbud question. I already have these:

Edifier H180, VE Monk Plus, NICEHK B40, FAAEAL Datura Pro, TY Hi-Z HP-32, Earbuds Anonymous 32 and Huawei CM33 half-ins. Although all have their good points (some, very good points), not one of them has the overall warmth or richness--or the lows--of my JVC Gumy HA-F160s.

So, I'm looking for recommendations, with a budget of up to around $50. The JVCs cost me $10 in Canada, so I figure I should be able to get something full, warm and accurate for $50. What should I consider?

With my sincere thanks for any pointers.

May 30, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #48,110 of 75,079

Edifier H180, VE Monk Plus, NICEHK B40, FAAEAL Datura Pro, TY Hi-Z HP-32, Earbuds Anonymous 32 and Huawei CM33 half-ins. Although all have their good points (some, very good points), not one of them has the overall warmth or richness--or the lows--of my JVC Gumy HA-F160s.

So, I'm looking for recommendations, with a budget of up to around $50. The JVCs cost me $10 in Canada, so I figure I should be able to get something full, warm and accurate for $50. What should I consider?

I hope the others can chime in as I'm not that experienced in earbuds, but 2 sets I found that were pretty ok for low end were:

1) HE 150 Pro - V shaped, excellent subbass/midbass thump considering it is a bud. Upper mids/treble can occasionally get sibilant. In fact it sounds like a traditional budget CHIFI IEM rather than a earbud actually. I ain't too pleased with the non detachable cables that are thin like a twig, I'm really scared it can just snap one day LOL.

2) RY4S 300 ohm - Balanced U shaped tuning, subbass extension and midbass ain't as good as HE 150 Pro, midbass thump adequate, but not bad for a bud (considering I'm basshead), slight upper mids boost, good soundstage and timbre and technicalities. Needs amping.

3) RY4S 32 ohm plus - V shaped, more midbass than the 300 ohm version, but bass is muddy, smears and has midbass bleed. Not as good technicals as the 300 ohm version, and upper mids on 32 ohm plus a bit sharp occasionally.

There's an aliexpress summer sale due in mid june 2020, so possibly some good discounts to be had if u wait 2 weeks or so! Good luck with your search. I'm also interested in low ends in a bud, so hopefully there are other suggestions!

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #48,111 of 75,079
I've had the yuin pk2 for a few years and thought they were pretty good until I got a couple new sets last week. For $13 the snow lotus plus destroys the pk2. Also got the smabat st10s silver/black and was disappointed at first listen but for some reason I can't explain they keep sounding better the more I use them. I never believed in break in and maybe I'm brainwashing myself but I swear they sound way better now that I've been using them awhile. Awesome earbuds!

You are probably acclamating to the new sound signature. The brain anticipates a certain sound and can take time to adjust. It's what some call 'brain burn-in' and is probably what you are experiencing imo.

Would be nice if there was a loose ranking in the first post. Not a rigid order as much as a short list of the current best with a few notes like "best value for bassheads" or top buds from 100-200 dollars or something along those lines with a few categories to help people out once the thread is way too big to go through.
Although a brilliant suggestion historically rankings have never gone over well... the original earbuds thread had a ranking list years ago but it caused a period of disagreement that it was eventually taken down in order to maintain the peace. No one would could agree to disagree :wink:

^ this.

What genre's do you typically listen to? What volume level? What lows are you looking for? Do you want massive sub-bass and warmth or just enough to sound natural with ok 'punch'?

The best warm and rich signature bud I've heard is the K's LB (or LBB), which is about $30. It doesn't have the greatest 'air' but still has decent detail without being dull or muffled sounding. Small, comfortable and good sounding.

Slightly warm tint but not as good sounding for me was the BK2, also cheap and usually $25 or less.

Yuin PK2's also have a warm sound, but the new version is not the same from what others have said.

May 31, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #48,113 of 75,079
I used to have loads of Sony earbuds back in the 80s but always recalled them fitting poorly. There's nothing around for me in the IEM game at the moment so took a punt on a pair of RY4S plus 32Ohm. I like the replaceable cable bit. I'll see if I can get them to fit before deciding whether this is the next obsession to get into!

May 31, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #48,114 of 75,079
Would you consider these earbuds? Growing up, these type of phones were what I always used and really liked. They had a lot of bass (“Megabass”). I was upset when they essentially went away, until IEMs came about.

95EA2757-FFC3-438E-9F91-93EEAF076BC9.jpeg

May 31, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #48,115 of 75,079
Would you consider these earbuds? Growing up, these type of phones were what I always used and really liked. They had a lot of bass (“Megabass”). I was upset when they essentially went away, until IEMs came about.

95EA2757-FFC3-438E-9F91-93EEAF076BC9.jpeg
wow never seen those before, how do you even wear them? :joy:

May 31, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #48,116 of 75,079
I remember those! They usually folded up and the plastic portion that held the rail would always dislocate then break. Very wierd fit. I think the speaker portion would swivel by 90 degrees? Cannot remember clearly. My best ever Walkman was a WM-A602 - the size of a cassette and only needed one AA battery.

May 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #48,117 of 75,079
wow never seen those before, how do you even wear them? :joy:
A long time ago, during the the time when telephones had magic wires that went into mysterious holes in our walls, we would place these magic items over our heads... carefully placing the band over and on top of our heads while seating the buds into the outer canals of our ears. At the the other end of the cable was a 3.5mm plug which would then be inserted into a very little Japanese man named "Walk" who only if properly energized would play music via magnetic tapes housed in plastic cassettes. Ahhh, the good ole' days how I do miss them.

May 31, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #48,118 of 75,079
A long time ago, during the the time when telephones had magic wires that went into mysterious holes in our walls, we would place these magic items over our heads... carefully placing the band over and on top of our heads while seating the buds into the outer canals of our ears. At the the other end of the cable was a 3.5mm plug which would then be inserted into a very little Japanese man named "Walk" who only if properly energized would play music via magnetic tapes housed in plastic cassettes. Ahhh, the good ole' days how I do miss them.
Well I dont remember having those kind of telephones when I was a kid, guess I am too young :joy: (I am 20).

May 31, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #48,119 of 75,079
Well I dont remember having those kind of telephones when I was a kid, guess I am too young :joy: (I am 20).
No wonder you haven‘t ever seen those headphones :smile:. The vertical disc-like driver shells go directly into your ear canal. They don‘t seal, so they really are more like ear buds. Believe it or not, a lot of them had bass head levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back