Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #47,162 of 74,623
I think Mr. @ClieOS has tried balanced docomo earbuds as well as balanced Shozy BK. Do you think there is a clear difference in sound quality between the balanced two?

[The Adapter is: Geekria Apollo 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Balanced Convert Adapter: https://www.amazon.com//dp/B075FMX9T8?th=1]

I won't say it is night and day, but I will say I do prefer BK balanced just a little more.

Also very interested in the Shozy SG. Will anyone bite the bullet or should I do it myself lol.

Already have, by taking Shozy's old customer offer, and probably will receive it in next few days.

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #47,163 of 74,623
Also very interested in the Shozy SG. Will anyone bite the bullet or should I do it myself lol.

Thought about it but bought the last in stock XB from Amazon. SG should be a higher model but that doesn't always mean better or the right type of sound(usually mean more neutral more of a brighter top end). XB sounded like something I wanted and Docomo shell is better for my ears only behind Senn MX880 housing. Fit takes even higher precedence since if they keeping popping out of my right ear I will sell them on. :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #47,164 of 74,623
Mar 5, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #47,165 of 74,623
IMG_20200305_163750~2.jpg
Fit without problem, but they have bright mid-high frequencies, I put on double thick foams. Very indicative sound, not for everyone, but for Rose lovers, however, like and ATH-CM2000Ti

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #47,166 of 74,623
IMG_20200305_163750~2.jpg
Fit without problem, but they have bright mid-high frequencies, I put on double thick foams. Very indicative sound, not for everyone, but for Rose lovers, however, like and ATH-CM2000Ti
And how’s the bass? Can it be EQ’d like the Masya?
Thank you

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #47,169 of 74,623
@ClieOS

I just received a Simphonio Dragon 2 plus but it was 3.5mm ended.

This seems to be a hidden refresh of Dragon 2. It has much more midbass and mids for other genres.

Not the airy treble reference transparent device that is the 2.5 balanced model.

The cable seems to use the exact cable in the Faaeal Datura Pro in this Dragon 2+ 3.5SE model.

D2+_3.5SE (left) Faaeal Datura Pro (right)
P_20200305_210012.jpg

P_20200305_210233.jpg
P_20200305_210306.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #47,170 of 74,623
Hi Guys. I'm a long time lurker, but it's very hard to keep up coming in here every few months to read a few pages so I've decided to register and just ask about things and hope someone can help me. I'm a basshead (the sort that would have SPL setups in cars sort of basshead) and can only assume that I'm not going to get earphone rattling deep sub bass, but I'm curious to hear what is out there. For the record I listen to R&B, Hip Hop, New Jack Swing, DNB, Dubstep (older stuff not the Skrillex kind), Garage, Chillout, Dark Ambient and also kpop/jpop. I can't enjoy any of it without having a decent bass response as to me without it, it drains all of the character out of what I'm listening to, so I really like to look for stuff that has good bass, and would love to find something that has good sub bass that doesn't get drowned out by mids the second you turn it up slightly, or in the case with a couple of my headphones so far... start to rattle.

So far I've got a couple of VE Monks that I picked up a few years ago when I discovered that there were some companies out there making earbuds (I cannot stand IEMs, and don't like cans either) and thought they were great but lacked bottom end. I bought a couple of pairs of Vidos, one blue and one red. The blue one is disappointing, and the red one is better and probably the best super budget earbuds I've heard so far, but still don't think much of the bass. Since then I've got myself some RY4S Plus 32Ohm MMCX versions (blue ones, no idea what the colours signify on the RY4S Plus but would love to know) that I couple with either a 4 core silver cable or my KZ APTX HD bluetooth cable (the only way I've found so far to get earbuds in wireless form, I'd love to know if there are other options). These are the best I've had so far for bass, and sound nicer than the Vidos, but I still wonder if I can do better. Also if I'm at my computer I power my headphones off a Scarlet Solo, otherwise it's out of my Pocophone F1. I know nothing about portable amping options or if I want to dive into that.

I'm wondering what else is out there, preferable in MMCX form already as I can use it with my existing cables. If there is a good pair that I could buy and attempt to recable them though I could be down with that if it's a fantastic pair of headphones, but it's not totally ideal. Maybe there's a full DIY option? I think I remember reading about a 15.4mm Titanium 64ohm driver from NSC Audio Store on Aliexpress. How would that compare to an RY4S and what would I have to build those into? Maybe buying a Fengru DIY and swapping the drivers out? I'm cool with doing something DIY if it gets me what I want. I don't really want to spend more than $20 max on a pair because I'm quite particular with what I like but can't put that into words or frequencies that I want as I don't understand how to quantify what I'm hearing above like 100hz (so reading frequency graphs goes over my head for the most part), so don't want to risk dropping money on something that I ultimately won't enjoy. I've done that too many times with headphones at this point so I'm just embracing this fun budget option

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #47,172 of 74,623
I just received a Simphonio Dragon 2 plus but it was 3.5mm ended

Never listened to the SWD2+ 3.5mm SE version before, but it is known to have a different sound than the normal 2.5mm BAL version.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #47,173 of 74,623
@Lex11180 just buy Smabat ST-10 mmcx
IMG_20200305_150556~2.jpg
@Lex11180 I have the Svara-L, which I enjoy a lot with artists like Carpenter Brut, Gesaffelstein, Perturbator, Danger etc. I've read somewhere in this topic that the Smabat is an improved Svara L with the same FR but better technicalities. So the Smabat gets my vote too

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #47,174 of 74,623
Recently lost my last pair of earbuds, the Symphonized NRG 3.0, and not having any has been driving me crazy at work. Been looking into getting some wireless ones but am a bit overwhelmed by all of the options, what would you all recommend? Ideally want to spend around $100 or so, have been eyeing the Aukey T10 and Jabra 65t's but i've heard the latter are a bit outdated.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #47,175 of 74,623
For example HEADROOM MS16 shell is quite reminiscent of HE150Pro but inside it looks like this.
shell.jpg

There is no point in listing what is wrong here, mostly everything, this is a nightmare for sound.

Just to make sure I'm reading this right, are you saying that the MS16 sounds bad due to its shell design?

Got my Monk Lites. First impression is BRIGHT. Not bright as hell but the treble is lifted. Oddball sound signature. I like it more than the Monks's pretty balanced but dull mids, although that dry mid part still retained in the overall signature. Bass is nothing special honestly, a sprinkle of sub bass and good punch but that's it.

Is that the 40ohm version? If yes, you'd be much happier with the 120ohm Monk Lites. I know I am. The 40ohm ones, while being quite detailed with good soundstage, are a bit too bass-lean. If your dac/amp has a bass boost feature, it will enhance the lows quite nicely. I used a Fiio Q1 (Mark I) with my 40ohm Monk Lites and the bass boost turned on and found the sound sig to be fairly good. TL;DR get the 120ohm SPC Lites.

@Lex11180 just buy Smabat ST-10 mmcx

I'm pretty sure the OP said he's looking to spend not more than 20 bucks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back