Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #45,301 of 75,076
For sure, I'll be keeping mine, but I look forward to your recommendations on rubber gaskets, etc. :wink:

This donut + regular foam config is working well for me. These are pretty nice sounding now. Nice open and clean sound. They aren't going to rival iems for bass response quantity but have good details and nice mids and air soundstage and imaging.

20191009_160158.jpg

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #45,302 of 75,076
I've never had a Monk+ break on me, they seem nigh on indestructible. What are you doing to these poor earbuds :)

I don't know. I leave them attached to my laptop, which I carry from room to room so they bounce around a bit but I can't think that should be enough for them to come apart. Maybe it is. I've gone through at least a half dozen pairs.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #45,304 of 75,076
Just got time listening to ACG, god this is good. I love the mids, the clarity, the detail retrieval, the soundstage, the sound separation. One of the best purchase ive made !

Exactly why I bought that 2nd pair (and why I was hesitant to sell lol). Glad you're enjoying them.

Sounds like we're having similar issues with the fit. I'm going to try @ClieOS' suggestion of donut foam, maybe combined with your suggestion of a double foam. I suspect a single donut wouldn't be enough for me, because they're a little too bright for me when naked. I need a slightly more "grippy" foam. If something like that even exists?!? Somehow need to keep a better, more consistent seal over the ear canal... I really don't want to have to resort to EQ.

I'd recommend a regular foam with donut foam over it. Pre-stretching the donut foam for a day or so on an earbud. As @antdroid found out, it may work for you as well

I find Yuin shell OK for my ears, and the ST-10 a little too small (at least they don't stay well in place in my ears), if it can help...

Try the above mentioned donut foam over a regular one. The extra thickness may be what you need for a good fit.

So, I ordered the Smabat M1 and they just arrived - I got to say they are too light on the bass for my taste, making them pretty bright. Mids and highs seem great but the lacking bass really takes the joy out of them for me (i.e. compared to the HE-150 Pro which I really love, small and with great bass).

I will compare them to the ST-10 later but I was hoping for the bass-extension and -amount of the ST-10 in a smaller form factor with the M1 - this does not seem to be the case :frowning2:
Problem with the ST-10 I have is that they are slightly uncomfortable and at high volume, content with low bass distorts the mids/highs a little bit. But from a bass-perspective in general, the ST-10 have the best lower-bass extension+amount and I was hoping for this in the M1 as well..

Still waiting for a HE-150 Pro successor I guess, which could be the ST-10 in a smaller form factor and without the distortion issues I mentioned above. Sadly it's not the M1 it seems.

I have been crying about this problem a couple of pages back. That makes 2 of us.

Cheers

Hmmm. Sad to hear that about the M1. Is it just a couple db short of the ST-10 or way more lacking in both db and extension?

I typically use my ST-10 at low to medium volumes, so I may never have reached a level where there was distortion. I listen to a lot of EDM with plenty of bass.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #45,305 of 75,076
Exactly why I bought that 2nd pair (and why I was hesitant to sell lol). Glad you're enjoying them.

I'd recommend a regular foam with donut foam over it. Pre-stretching the donut foam for a day or so on an earbud.

Try the above mentioned donut foam over a regular one. The extra thickness may be what you need.

Hmmm. Sad to hear that about the M1. Is it just a couple db short of the ST-10 or way more lacking in both db and extension?

I typically use my ST-10 at low to medium volumes, so I may never have reached a level where there was distortion. I listen to a lot of EDM with plenty of bass.
Thanks for selling your spare acg to me :D haha

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #45,308 of 75,076
Hello everyone!

I've been reading this thread for a long time and I even wrote once, but this time I would like to ask for a recommendation, since I see a universe of brands and models, such as in the world of IEMs/headphones.

I'm a guy of IEMs and over-ears, but for some reason I don't end up being comfortable with either (IEMs because of deep insertion and over-ears headphones for the clamping force and heat generated in the ears and headband).

I was thinking that earbuds could be an alternative for me, but I need a solid starting point to be able to make a decision. The budget is no problem and I would use them exclusively at home with my desktop DAC/AMP (Topping DX3 Pro), so I'm only looking for the best possible sound quality with durable construction and excellent comfort.

Could you please guide me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #45,309 of 75,076
Oh wow, yeah I have never heard/read about this from somebody else but at least for my pair, it is a very noticeable issue. I'm wondering if the other guys simply just dont use the ST-10 for content with lots of low-bass (i.e. sub 50/40hz).

or we are most probably deaf :L3000:

I think i can survive with a lower volume, but i just can't resist raising it, the bass slam just feels so gooooood on higher volume.

i received another pair of st-10 and it is just the same, so most probably it is just how it is, unless iam so unlucky.

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #45,310 of 75,076
or we are most probably deaf :L3000:

I think i can survive with a lower volume, but i just can't resist raising it, the bass slam just feels so gooooood on higher volume.

i received another pair of st-10 and it is just the same, so most probably it is just how it is, unless iam so unlucky.

The rattling on the ST-10 at lower frequencies is a defect. I had the issue and exchanged them. The new one doesn't do it at all, but I had to go through the three sets to get a perfect one. At the third set I was ready to give up if it had issues though... Thankfully I ordered from Amazon so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #45,311 of 75,076
TY Hi-Z HP-150s or TY Hi-Z AWK-F150TS which one has more and more powerful bass and sub bass? with a great punch

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #45,312 of 75,076
well i keep reaching out my ACG more than iems at the office lately =.=

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #45,313 of 75,076
ClieOS, can you write any ranking list? there are a lot of new earbuds and no ranking at all.

Not gonna happen, sorry. To do a proper ranking will took too much time and energy, which I simply don't have.

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #45,314 of 75,076
If you got time, then give us this year's totl suggestions then. (please)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #45,315 of 75,076
If you got time, then give us this year's totl then.

He talks about various models all through the thread. If you don't want to,read all of the pages, you can use the search function to find out what he,and others have said about various models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back