Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #45,286 of 75,072
20191009_102751.jpg

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #45,287 of 75,072
Donut foam wasnt enough and also a little bright. I used donut on the inside and full foam on the outside and it's better, but I've resorted to doing two laters of a thinner foam I had from other ear buds and that seems to help out a lot. I may try to buy some silicone rings for ear buds and try that out, but only source seems to be in China via Aliexpress and I'd like to try it out before my 30 day return window expires. :frowning2:

Maybe I'll see if I can find a rubber gasket or o-ring haha.

That said, a small boost to the sub-bass region via EQ seems to help out a lot for me.
For sure, I'll be keeping mine, but I look forward to your recommendations on rubber gaskets, etc. :wink:

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #45,288 of 75,072
Please help!

I need a good sounding pair of durable earbuds. I've bought several pairs of the Monk +, which I liked, and a pair of the Monk Copper which I liked even more. Unfortunately the caps keep coming off of the 'buds and ultimately the wires become loose or break off, leaving them useless. This has also started to happen with the $45 Shozy I now have (which I find a little too forward).

I would like something with a similar - but even more resolving and tonally accurate - sound signature to the Monks that also does not break so easily - or rather at all. (I owned the Sennheiser M985 but did not like the tonality, probably because of the rhodium plug). I do not like silver or rhodium wire/connectors. I listen to a lot of Classical and Americana/Folk/World music.

I'm willing to spend up to around $150. I've read a lot in this thread but between the number of earbuds discussed and the constant product changes, I'm pretty lost. Suggestions please?

Thanks all, in advance.
Rob

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #45,289 of 75,072
For sure, I'll be keeping mine, but I look forward to your recommendations on rubber gaskets, etc. :wink:

Well doubling up the foam and listening to it this morning (i did let it play all night - though I dont believe in burn-in), seems to help a lot. These sound pretty good. Maybe I have adjusted back to a more DF-type tuning. Seems like the clarity and resolution of these is quite good and smooth, albeit slightly bright timbre. Bass response is definitely on the flatter side with a little roll-off (hence DF-ish tuning). It's fine for me actually, but I don't mind a +5dB subbass bump to help increase bass response.

I also just realized I ordered the 3.5mm version when I was planning on getting the 4.4mm. Oh well.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #45,290 of 75,072
@ClieOS : How about feedback on Yincrow RW-1000 in China?

So far the feedback among the Chinese seems to be fairly positive, but it is still too early to tell. I should have mine in a week or two.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #45,291 of 75,072
Guys I don't wanna sound sad, I come here daily for recommendations for earbuds, like everyone here i want to enjoy my music, I know for sure IEMs are not the way to go, I like earbuds, and yes I have some which I like but I still cant enjoy all my music, i haven't invested in any earbud above 50 usd because I am not sure which one to go for, I thought Smabat ST 10 is the one but then I have small ears so i am not sure if I should go for it.

kindly suggest
I find Yuin shell OK for my ears, and the ST-10 a little too small (at least they don't stay well in place in my ears), if it can help...

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #45,292 of 75,072
Do you what model of shell is used for Headroom MS16 ?
I find it as comfy as Yuin...

Is the same shell used in higher range earbuds, or even totl ?
No idea ?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #45,293 of 75,072
Oct 9, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #45,294 of 75,072
So, I ordered the Smabat M1 and they just arrived - I got to say they are too light on the bass for my taste, making them pretty bright. Mids and highs seem great but the lacking bass really takes the joy out of them for me (i.e. compared to the HE-150 Pro which I really love, small and with great bass).

I will compare them to the ST-10 later but I was hoping for the bass-extension and -amount of the ST-10 in a smaller form factor with the M1 - this does not seem to be the case :frowning2:
Problem with the ST-10 I have is that they are slightly uncomfortable and at high volume, content with low bass distorts the mids/highs a little bit. But from a bass-perspective in general, the ST-10 have the best lower-bass extension+amount and I was hoping for this in the M1 as well..

Still waiting for a HE-150 Pro successor I guess, which could be the ST-10 in a smaller form factor and without the distortion issues I mentioned above. Sadly it's not the M1 it seems.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #45,296 of 75,072
In my little bud collection, i always wanted to have MS16. Could you give me a brief review about the sound?
Fairly neutral signature with wide soundstage and decent clarity. Very good for vocals and acoustic music. I like it a lot (I have 5!) - it is my favourite of all my metal buds which cost 5x more. Comfortable, well built and great value for money, and you can get it very cheaply if you don't mind about slow delivery and minimal packaging:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898151170.html

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #45,297 of 75,072
Problem with the ST-10 I have is that they are slightly uncomfortable and at high volume, content with low bass distorts the mids/highs a little bit

I have been crying about this problem a couple of pages back. That makes 2 of us.

Cheers

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #45,298 of 75,072
I have been crying about this problem a couple of pages back. That makes 2 of us.

Cheers

Oh wow, yeah I have never heard/read about this from somebody else but at least for my pair, it is a very noticeable issue. I'm wondering if the other guys simply just dont use the ST-10 for content with lots of low-bass (i.e. sub 50/40hz).

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #45,299 of 75,072
Please help!

I need a good sounding pair of durable earbuds. I've bought several pairs of the Monk +, which I liked, and a pair of the Monk Copper which I liked even more. Unfortunately the caps keep coming off of the 'buds and ultimately the wires become loose or break off, leaving them useless.

I've never had a Monk+ break on me, they seem nigh on indestructible. What are you doing to these poor earbuds :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #45,300 of 75,072
Please tell us the driver size (14.8 or 15.4 mm). Thanks
I opened up the B40. It has a modified PK shell, it's actually different from the SR2. The biggest difference is that B40 is deeper, it has quite extended edge where the front cover snaps on. The curves are slightly different too, B40 is slightly fatter curvier and the plastic feels higher quality. Actually I tried to put SR2 driver in B40 shell and vice versa, they are not really compatible with each other. The driver is still 14.8mm I think but the front covers are very different from each other in terms of fit. B40 can't accept regular thin 14.8mm drivers like SR2 but mx500 ones are too large so I didn't have anything that could fit on that shell or could accept the b40 drivers either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back