Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 9, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #45,271 of 75,146
I listen to almost everything from classical to metal, drumnbass to dubstep.
So bass should also be there as well as mids and treble should be good above all they should be enjoyable or musical.

There are many that fit that description. Which ones have you already tried?

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #45,273 of 75,146
In the end NiceHCK has sent me a new B40 for free (0.1usd) as a replacement, very generous in my opinion. (I only asked for partial refund in private message, showing the crushed box and frequency measurement) Overall I can recommend the store for it's helpful customer support, just be patient and write again if necessary.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #45,274 of 75,146
In the end NiceHCK has sent me a new B40 for free (0.1usd) as a replacement, very generous in my opinion. (I only asked for partial refund in private message, showing the crushed box and frequency measurement) Overall I can recommend the store for it's helpful customer support, just be patient and write again if necessary.

That is great. Be sure to let us know what you think after they arrrive.

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #45,276 of 75,146
Just got time listening to ACG, god this is good. I love the mids, the clarity, the detail retrieval, the soundstage, the sound separation. One of the best purchase ive made !

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #45,278 of 75,146

Glad you already solved your lemon PK, got excellent support. The right side of my B40 came a little undocked, some storms happened at the factory, especially on the production line. However, I have already noticed that this does not impair sound performance, so I was not motivated to go into combat with Jim.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #45,279 of 75,146
Glad you already solved your lemon PK, got excellent support. The right side of my B40 came a little undocked, some storms happened at the factory, especially on the production line. However, I have already noticed that this does not impair sound performance, so I was not motivated to go into combat with Jim.
Yes I'm happy that it went smoothly with B40. The process is much slower with my SR2, I hope I can get a partial refund for it at least. I'll take apart B40 and recycle its cable to my diy mx760, it will match perfectly in my opinion. I'll also check the diameter of shell and speaker, trying out what parts are compatible.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #45,281 of 75,146
Yes I'm happy that it went smoothly with B40. The process is much slower with my SR2, I hope I can get a partial refund for it at least. I'll take apart B40 and recycle its cable to my diy mx760, it will match perfectly in my opinion. I'll also check the diameter of shell and speaker, trying out what parts are compatible.

Please tell us the driver size (14.8 or 15.4 mm). Thanks

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #45,282 of 75,146
I believe that my ear bud quest is similar to "Jsingh4" in that I want to find one good pair. I've read lots of reviews and followed this forum and have some ideas but keep changing my mind. I need to get off the pot.
I've also started fairly recently (last December) and I feel similar but this can cause a never ending search and a lot of wasted money. I think the first variable to sort out is the shell and foam type, this is where a bunch of budget buys are useful. But after that if you really want one bud that does everything well I think you should either go higher up in price (and pray) or start to EQ or DIY. I think it's a lot easier if you divide up your needs into two different buds, one for bass and for balance. A lot of recordings today are badly mastered/compressed and you just can't get them to sound good unless you compensate with the sound signature/EQ of your equipment. Also a good source will improve your experience a LOT if you don't have one. I've paid a lot more money for budget earbuds than I planned and I don't use most of them, some of them have special use cases for me but for overall sound I don't have any single one at the moment that is satisfactory. I've just started to find a good middle ground with diy projects, I currently like this tiny cheap diy mx760 more than any other gear of mine, but this is only the start of a journey it could still be improved in a lot of respects. It's very subjective as well so what I like will not necessarily fit your needs. I started to DIY because I enjoy the process and it gives the opportunity to build something closer to my preferences and reuse/modify the buds that would go into waste otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #45,283 of 75,146
Just got them today and just got home to try them out a few minutes ago.

I am a tad unimpressed so far. Lacking bass, but I feel it comes back when I press on them to get better seal, so I may need to double up the foam or do some thing to get better seal. Otherwise, the build is impressive and the cable is fantastic. It sounds bright, and that's a bit annoying but that could be due to seal. I'll play around a little more or see if i can correct with EQ.
Sounds like we're having similar issues with the fit. I'm going to try @ClieOS' suggestion of donut foam, maybe combined with your suggestion of a double foam. I suspect a single donut wouldn't be enough for me, because they're a little too bright for me when naked. I need a slightly more "grippy" foam. If something like that even exists?!? Somehow need to keep a better, more consistent seal over the ear canal... I really don't want to have to resort to EQ.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #45,284 of 75,146
Sounds like we're having similar issues with the fit. I'm going to try @ClieOS' suggestion of donut foam, maybe combined with your suggestion of a double foam. I suspect a single donut wouldn't be enough for me, because they're a little too bright for me when naked. I need a slightly more "grippy" foam. If something like that even exists?!? Somehow need to keep a better, more consistent seal over the ear canal... I really don't want to have to resort to EQ.

Donut foam wasnt enough and also a little bright. I used donut on the inside and full foam on the outside and it's better, but I've resorted to doing two laters of a thinner foam I had from other ear buds and that seems to help out a lot. I may try to buy some silicone rings for ear buds and try that out, but only source seems to be in China via Aliexpress and I'd like to try it out before my 30 day return window expires. :frowning2:

Maybe I'll see if I can find a rubber gasket or o-ring haha.

That said, a small boost to the sub-bass region via EQ seems to help out a lot for me.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #45,285 of 75,146
I've also started fairly recently (last December) and I feel similar but this can cause a never ending search and a lot of wasted money. I think the first variable to sort out is the shell and foam type, this is where a bunch of budget buys are useful. But after that if you really want one bud that does everything well I think you should either go higher up in price (and pray) or start to EQ or DIY. I think it's a lot easier if you divide up your needs into two different buds, one for bass and for balance. A lot of recordings today are badly mastered/compressed and you just can't get them to sound good unless you compensate with the sound signature/EQ of your equipment. Also a good source will improve your experience a LOT if you don't have one. I've paid a lot more money for budget earbuds than I planned and I don't use most of them, some of them have special use cases for me but for overall sound I don't have any single one at the moment that is satisfactory. I've just started to find a good middle ground with diy projects, I currently like this tiny cheap diy mx760 more than any other gear of mine, but this is only the start of a journey it could still be improved in a lot of respects. It's very subjective as well so what I like will not necessarily fit your needs. I started to DIY because I enjoy the process and it gives the opportunity to build something closer to my preferences and reuse/modify the buds that would go into waste otherwise.

Thanks for the response, robar. The never ending search and wasted money thing is what scares me also. It was a lot easier when you could go to a local guy and audition audio gear. I guess that give you a clue to how old I am.
: 0 ). I also smile when reading the source forum because my idea of source components are a turntable and a CD player not a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back