Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #44,881 of 74,630
i have a question regarding st10, when i raise the volume on my source wm1a, it tends to distort specially vocals (not sure if its distortion) but it loses too much clarity to a ghrrrrrrr sound. LOL

I tried to record it, dont know if it will be clear enough, but in the video i start at volume 80 and go to 100 on wm1a.

Is this normal or something is wrong ?

Edit : when iam back home i will try to record it more clearly without the background noise

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #44,882 of 74,630
Could the NiceHCK ME80 and the B40 have the same driver and that the sound differences are only due to the change of capsule? Judge for yourself.

NiceHCK B40 vs NiceHCK ME80.png

Yes, I know they use different sized drivers, but the frequency response is very similar.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #44,884 of 74,630
The ME80 sound very different than the B40 to me

They sound different to me too, but I mean that both the fit and the capsule play a very important role in the final result. A microphone doesn't care about size or shape, as long as it's placed the same way. But we are affected by these things.

I never cease to be surprised that the measurements with the earbuds do not express how I feel the sound. In IEMS things are different.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #44,885 of 74,630
i have a question regarding st10, when i raise the volume on my source wm1a, it tends to distort specially vocals (not sure if its distortion) but it loses too much clarity to a ghrrrrrrr sound. LOL

I tried to record it, dont know if it will be clear enough, but in the video i start at volume 80 and go to 100 on wm1a.

Edit : when iam back home i will try to record it more clearly without the background noise

This is another video that i find more clear.

Going from volume 90 to 110 balanced high gain on wm1a, you can hear by the end of the video how female voice sounds, also is this distortion ? Or is it called something else ?

If someone owns wm1a and st10, can test to see if this is normal or not ?

I have only experienced this also with sony ex800, i don't know if there is something wrong with the driver, or may be it is normal and just a limitation of the driver when handling higher power.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #44,886 of 74,630

I had the same issue on my second pair of ST-10. I found out that the issue was with a rattling on low frequencies when the volume was too high. I returned it and the third pair was finally perfect. Do a sine sweep on YouTube with loudish volume see if you can here any distortion or rattling in the bass. If you can get it exchanged, it's a defect.

Sep 22, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #44,887 of 74,630
I had the same issue on my second pair of ST-10. I found out that the issue was with a rattling on low frequencies when the volume was too high. I returned it and the third pair was finally perfect. Do a sine sweep on YouTube with loudish volume see if you can here any distortion or rattling in the bass. If you can get it exchanged, it's a defect.

Will try that when iam back home ..

I noticed something funny though when looking at the shells.

20190922_114544.jpg

The grills on the right side is smaller in size but are larger in count, could this be causing a problem because i think that this is not normal, did someone try to remove the grills before ?

btw one grill has 4 column holes, and the other 5 columns :D

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #44,888 of 74,630
Will try that when iam back home ..

I noticed something funny though when looking at the shells.

The grills on the right side is smaller in size but are larger in count, could this be causing a problem because i think that this is not normal, did someone try to remove the grills before ?

Hope you get sorted with a decent fresh pair :) Ideally ones where it looks like the left and right were at least made in the same factory!

Were there not mmcx problems early on as well for some people?

It's an interesting looking earbud, and from reviews possibly up there with some of the best, but off-putting to read of what seems a lot of QC issues :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #44,889 of 74,630
Hope you get sorted with a decent fresh pair :) Ideally ones where it looks like the left and right were at least made in the same factory!

It's an interesting looking earbud, and from reviews possibly up there with some of the best, but off-putting to read of what seems a lot of QC issues :frowning2:

ye thats too bad, i still don't know if i will contact jim for replacement, i paid more than half price in customs and shipping to egypt,

i still don't know what i will do, but thanks !

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #44,890 of 74,630

Yeah, I also noticed grill issues on my second pair. Most holes on the sides seem to be non functional anyways. Shined under a light they are blocked. That being said I think the grill doesn't make much of a sound difference and think you could get the same sound without a grill.

I played with the grill a little trying to rub off some glue and found that it bent super easy. I was told it is probably steel but the ms16 grill folded a similar way and was basically aluminum foil on a cardboard sticker when I removed that one.

I had qc issues on my first 2 pairs bought through the nicehck Amazon store here in Japan and only got a good version when I switched to a less popular store. It could be luck but I also feel it is interesting you have a seemingly defective pair coming from the same store.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #44,891 of 74,630

IMG_20190922_132409.jpg

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #44,892 of 74,630
Yeah, I also noticed grill issues on my second pair. Most holes on the sides seem to be non functional anyways. Shined under a light they are blocked. That being said I think the grill doesn't make much of a sound difference and think you could get the same sound without a grill.

I played with the grill a little trying to rub off some glue and found that it bent super easy. I was told it is probably steel but the ms16 grill folded a similar way and was basically aluminum foil on a cardboard sticker when I removed that one.

I had qc issues on my first 2 pairs bought through the nicehck Amazon store here in Japan and only got a good version when I switched to a less popular store. It could be luck but I also feel it is interesting you have a seemingly defective pair coming from the same store.

Yee thats interesting,

as for the grill, blocking it kills the bass but the sound is almost clean again, removing it unleashes full bass which eventually produces more rattle or distortion for me,

under the grill only a small hole in the exact middle , so its mainly the middle of the grill that works but the surrounding faces a wall.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #44,893 of 74,630
Yee thats interesting,

as for the grill, blocking it kills the bass but the sound is almost clean again, removing it unleashes full bass which eventually produces more rattle or distortion for me,

under the grill only a small hole in the exact middle , so its mainly the middle of the grill that works but the surrounding faces a wall.

Oh yeah, blocking the holes does make a difference, but I mostly meant I think it would sound mostly the same if you removed it completely but it would probably get a lot of junk in it's maze port, especially if you wear them backwards...

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #44,894 of 74,630
Oh yeah, blocking the holes does make a difference, but I mostly meant I think it would sound mostly the same if you removed it completely but it would probably get a lot of junk in it's maze port, especially if you wear them backwards...
Sounds like the driver is simply loose and rattling on bass frequencies. Removing the vent would change the sound as the filter is tuning the bass response. But i think getting a replacement unit is the best option for him if your earbud is distorting/rattling at normal volumes.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #44,895 of 74,630
ye thats too bad, i still don't know if i will contact jim for replacement, i paid more than half price in customs and shipping to egypt,

i still don't know what i will do, but thanks !

You tried sucking on the driver, right? (no, I'm not joking)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back