Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #43,426 of 75,072
Same here! It started with the Piston 3 IEM and then on to earbuds after I tried the Monk+ (both long-since retired). I ventured out into larger forms for a while but I'm back to stay with buds.

I had bought some Beyerdynamic DT-831 headphones in 2001 or 2002, to use with the PA system at Church, and to provide isolated TV listening for my Dad (when my parents were visiting).
When I modified my A/V & PC audio setup in the Summer of 2016, I bought a iFi Micro iDSD to drive my headphones, and provide Line Out for some small powered Monitors and a Subwoofer.

Then, I started with all of the other portable audio stuff, in the Fall of 2016.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #43,427 of 75,072
The First iems I ever bought were Unique Melody Miracle ciem and then the floodgates opened, I only ever had a few pairs of heaphones before that

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #43,428 of 75,072
I am listening to my Sony E808+ and am really enjoying it's bass, but I can no longer find them onsale anywhere online, does anyone know where I can buy a back up pair?
Also, can someone with the Fengru silvers compare with the E808+?

TIA

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #43,429 of 75,072
I am listening to my Sony E808+ and am really enjoying it's bass, but I can no longer find them onsale anywhere online, does anyone know where I can buy a back up pair?
Also, can someone with the Fengru silvers compare with the E808+?

TIA

I just looked on ebay where I got mine last year and the vendor no longer has them. Some sellers have the 808 but no 808+

I have no spare either. Maybe they will last forever?

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #43,430 of 75,072
I had bought some Beyerdynamic DT-831 headphones in 2001 or 2002, to use with the PA system at Church, and to provide isolated TV listening for my Dad (when my parents were visiting).
When I modified my A/V & PC audio setup in the Summer of 2016, I bought a iFi Micro iDSD to drive my headphones, and provide Line Out for some small powered Monitors and a Subwoofer.

Then, I started with all of the other portable audio stuff, in the Fall of 2016.

I think we all wish our greatest sympathies for your wallet.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #43,431 of 75,072
Jul 5, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #43,432 of 75,072
I've avoided this thread since I bought the ME80 lucky bag, so I wasn't going to be spoiled.
First, they were supposed to be here Tuesday, but somehow the package went from my correct post office to one town over, which I have no idea how that happened.
Then, 4th of July, and now they are here.
Used them for an hour so far, and these might be the most technically sound earbuds, IEM, or cans I own currently.
A bit sub-bass shy, great soundstage, detail, and imaging.
Everything sounds tight and accurate.
Handles all my metal (Djent, Technical Death, Progressive) I throw at it.
These are the first 'buds I own that isn't the MX500 shell, and the ME80 is very comfortable.
Very impressive and I'm happy.

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #43,434 of 75,072
When you own enough earbuds, you can make all of them last forever if you make a point of cycling through all of your earbuds.

That's the plan.

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #43,435 of 75,072
I just looked on ebay where I got mine last year and the vendor no longer has them. Some sellers have the 808 but no 808+

I have no spare either. Maybe they will last forever?

Thank you for the reply

I read the SHE3800 also has big bass, so I will give that a try

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #43,436 of 75,072
The Little Bear is an oddity — a vacuum tube portable amp. I have to wonder about battery life and tube longevity. I have the ES100 and recommend it. Another option is the FiiO BTR3 (more premium build quality than the ES100, but no balanced output).

An interesting product I haven't seen before! However, it is a digital-only device and he is looking for an amp to plug in earbuds.
Sorry
TempoTec Sonata iDSD Plus USB Portable DAC Support WIN MacOSX Android iPHONE True Blance Dual DAC Headphone Amplifier DSD HIFI
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZJNvMFJJ

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #43,438 of 75,072
So guys I know it's not an amp thread but since everybody is here I would like to know which portable amp wil be best for Earbuds in 99usd

I am thinking between Radsone ES100 and Little Bear B4-X
(Sound Quality and Portability both matters to me)

Which one do you think will be the best.

Thanks

The Little Bear is an oddity — a vacuum tube portable amp. I have to wonder about battery life and tube longevity. I have the ES100 and recommend it. Another option is the FiiO BTR3 (more premium build quality than the ES100, but no balanced output).

An interesting product I haven't seen before! However, it is a digital-only device and he is looking for an amp to plug in earbuds.

I have both the ES100 and the B4-X - and they're designed for completely different functions.
The ES100 can operate as a USB or Bluetooth DAC / Amp, with Single-Ended & Balanced Outputs, but without an analog Input.
The B4-X is an analog only amplifier - with Single-Ended Input, and Single-Ended & Balanced Outputs.
The Raytheon 5899 Tube in the B4-X is a special quality version of the EF731 miniature RF pentode, first available in 1958.
When the B4-X is bumped, the 5899 does produce a ringing that's audible in the earbuds.
There are a number of vendors on eBay that sell matched pairs of the 5899 tube.

The ES100 runs about 7 - 8 hours on a charge as a BT Amp.
The B4-X runs about 4 - 6 hours, depending on which op-amps you're using.
While the ES100 can be used while it's being charged (as a USB or BT DAC), when the charger is plugged into the B4-X, the Amp shuts off.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #43,439 of 75,072
Bit on the Snow-Lotus 1.0+ CE from Amazon and received today. First impressions are that these are quite close to my MX365s in signature; perhaps a bit cleaner and/or brighter, but hard to say yet.

I saw the SLs repeatedly mentioned for their efficiency/volume on mobile devices, but they seem to be almost exactly on par with the 365s in that respect, too. Overall, SL 1.0+ seems like a solid MX365 alternative (given the Senns are no longer for sale) for a similar price and with better build quality. Sadly though, the overall ergonomics don't tip in the SLs' favor, between the weight and bulky cable split. I also have to give the nod to the 365 shells for fit in my ears.

Since my main use for buds is on the go and driven by mobile devices' mediocre outputs, I may still go through with the AliExpress sampler just for fun. So far, between the H180/Datura/SL1.0+, I've yet to find one that quite outdoes the 365 when summed over SQ+volume+ergonomics. The SL is damn close, though.

Any recs for a super bass-heavy option under $8-10 on AE? I recall using some Sony buds sometime around 2001-05 that were far more impressive on the low end than the Senns or anything else I've tried so far. Would be fun to have a pair like that lying around, even if it's not my usual preference.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #43,440 of 75,072
This Sonarworks True-Fi app works wonders to my already good sounding Liebesleid. And the developer just improved it by adding a Preference Discovery setting where it creates a customized profile based on one's sound preference. The ES100 is on its way and I can't wait to hear what it can add to this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back