Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #43,218 of 75,146
IMG_20190629_000504.jpg

I've known Squarepusher for a while. More than 20 years ago (Date of purchase August 12, 1997) I spent the money I saved on CD...Now on headphones...
Then 2490 pesetas, at the current exchange rate 15€, which costs the ME80...little has changed the thing... :wink:

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #43,220 of 75,146
Has anyone got Moondrop CHACONNE?
Tell me Its weight, wearing feeling and sounds.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040362551.html
HTB1oATncUGF3KVjSZFvq6z_nXXaM.jpg
I heard them last weekend at the SoCal CanJam. They sounded great - better than most of the multi-driver IEMs I listened to. Unexpectedly good bass slam and very nicely detailed. I asked the Moondrop reps on the booth what they thought about using donut foams rather than the full foams that were on them. They said, yes, donut foams would be better, but that they didn't have any for me to try. I tried them without any foams and I think, for me, I'd want the full foams, because the treble was a bit much without them. The only thing I'd worry about is whether, even with full foams, they might be a little too bright for long listening sessions. It's hard to be 100% sure when testing open-backed headphones or earbuds in a noisy CanJam environment. I returned to the Moondrop booth wanting to give them a second listen, but couldn't get close - the Moondrop booth was pretty popular and was getting swarmed. Also, I've never heard the Leibesleid, so I don't know how these compare, but I liked them a lot. They're certainly one of best earbuds I've heard. Infinitely better than Blox TM9!

To answer the other questions, they're reasonably solid and weighty, but not at all uncomfortable. Because of their long thin stems, they just hang there nicely in your ears. I had no complaints or issues with the fit.

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #43,221 of 75,146
That's what Jim NiceHCK posted at fb :)

Are you sure it is $13.99? Where? The ME80 still comes up as $16.99 for me which is 20% off the retail price but $7 more than the lucky bag price.

Did you mean 13.99 euro?

Either way it is well worth the price. I would have liked to have had one of the zippered NiceHCK hard cases but I can see where the little bag is more cost efficient. I rarely put buds or iems in those bags though... I feel like they are less safe.

I did find a perfect use for my bag though. My little Benjie player came with a "free gift." A bag that would have fit two players... the player just disappears into the bottom of it and is hard to dig out. This one is perfect. It does not say Benjie but neither did the other one :) BTW the bud that comes with this player is pleasant to listen with.

I am using the ME80 with one of my more "serious" daps at the moment. This Benjie is more powerful than it looks though.

I have posted this photo here before but the pages go by so fast. The Benjie with its free earbuds. Love the comfort of this shell. It is not necessary to spend a lot to enjoy music:)

10301628.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #43,223 of 75,146
I heard them last weekend at the SoCal CanJam. They sounded great - better than most of the multi-driver IEMs I listened to. Unexpectedly good bass slam and very nicely detailed. I asked the Moondrop reps on the booth what they thought about using donut foams rather than the full foams that were on them. They said, yes, donut foams would be better, but that they didn't have any for me to try. I tried them without any foams and I think, for me, I'd want the full foams, because the treble was a bit much without them. The only thing I'd worry about is whether, even with full foams, they might be a little too bright for long listening sessions. It's hard to be 100% sure when testing open-backed headphones or earbuds in a noisy CanJam environment. I returned to the Moondrop booth wanting to give them a second listen, but couldn't get close - the Moondrop booth was pretty popular and was getting swarmed. Also, I've never heard the Leibesleid, so I don't know how these compare, but I liked them a lot. They're certainly one of best earbuds I've heard. Infinitely better than Blox TM9!

To answer the other questions, they're reasonably solid and weighty, but not at all uncomfortable. Because of their long thin stems, they just hang there nicely in your ears. I had no complaints or issues with the fit.

i reckoned they don't have the Liebesleid to compare? with the Liebesleid, i also don't like using it without foams. in fact i only like it with full and thick Hiegi foams. with donut foams it sounds more like an IEM: slightly less airy and more focused sound projected into the head. still sounds good, but i just like the full foam experience better. but to be honest it's been a long time since i tried donuts with it, i might have a shift in taste now. i will try it later

Except for us poor souls that have the Svara-L and are tormented about whether or not to get the Smabats!

Just kidding though - I am not tormented. My read on it is that the Smabats are an upgrade to the Svara's, but the Svara's are still very good and if one only has the Svara's, they will survive just fine :)

all we Svara owners have to listen is the comforting words of Mr @HungryPanda

I honestly think Svara- L owners do not need to

(remove from wishlist, browse other targets :laughing: )

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #43,224 of 75,146
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #43,225 of 75,146
Except for us poor souls that have the Svara-L and are tormented about whether or not to get the Smabats!

Gonna catch 'em all!!!

Just got another pair of the revised version to compare to my old version.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #43,226 of 75,146
Jun 29, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #43,228 of 75,146
Smabat was already revised? How do you know which version you are buying?

By "revised", I mean the time they revised the MMCX socket and cable. Some reportes there is also a slight change in tuning so that's what I am interested in. Even if there is no change in sound, I don't personally mind having a 2nd pair of ST-10 as backup.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #43,229 of 75,146
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #43,230 of 75,146
Are those raw measurements?

As I say on my website:

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Microphone
Burson Audio Playmate OpAmps V6 Dual Vivid & Classic as source and microphone input
REW Software
Frequency responses are RAW and are not compensated.

Their validity is merely comparative and should not be taken as a reference.

https://hiendportable.com/2019/03/02/respuestas-de-frecuencia/

I have to clarify that @Otto Motor helped me with the setup of my measurement system. Thanks @Otto Motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back