Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 17, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #39,121 of 75,146
Have $35 to test the waters with earbuds. I'm open to multiple purchases, but would rather avoid clutter and pick the fewest earbuds possible. I like variety to some extent, but would like to get the best possible sound quality (if worthwhile) even if that means limiting the choice to only one. Won't be modding much besides rolling foams for now. Average to below average ear size. Value a linear FR without jarring peaks/non-linearities anywhere. Have a preference for analog, buttery smooth, lush sound with realistic timbre, but without jeopardizing the technical ability to be a competent all-arounder. I listen to almost everything. I'm fine with either a slightly bright or dark tonal balance. Fine with either a thick and heavy or a relatively weightless sound. Bass light is fine. Anything as long as it sounds wholly coherent and natural/enjoyable.

Have very low tolerance for sibilance, shoutiness, honkiness, boominess, shrillness, resonances, and other such acoustic oddities or non-sense artificialities of any sort. I know that cheapo stuff is always plagued by some issue like this but still... The cleaner and more transparent it sounds, the better. I also don't care for head/earphones that rely too much on artificialities or try to show off technicalities at the expense of naturalness, smoothness, realism and/or coherence.

What would you guys recommend to this cheap snob?

EDIT: Earphone to be driven mainly by a Meridian Explorer 2 (0.5 Ohms OI) at home. If too hard to drive, I have a much more powerful desktop amp at hand.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #39,125 of 75,146
Have $35 to test the waters with earbuds. I'm open to multiple purchases, but would rather avoid clutter and pick the fewest earbuds possible. I like variety to some extent, but would like to get the best possible sound quality even if that means limiting the choice to only one. Won't be modding much besides rolling foams for now. Average to below average ear size. Value a linear FR without undue peaks/non-linearities anywhere. Have a preference for analog, buttery smooth, lush sound with realistic timbre, but without jeopardizing the technical ability to be a competent all-arounder. I listen to almost everything. I'm fine with either a slightly bright or dark tonal balance. Fine with either a thick and heavy or a relatively weightless sound. Bass light is fine. Anything as long as it sounds wholly coherent and natural/enjoyable.

Have very low tolerance for sibilance, shoutiness, honkiness, boominess, shrillness, resonances, and other such acoustic oddities or non-sense artificialities of any sort. I know that cheapo stuff is always plagued by some issue like this but still... The cleaner and more transparent it sounds, the better. I also don't care for head/earphones that rely too much on artificialities or try to show off technicalities at the expense of naturalness, smoothness, realism and/or coherence.

Have $35 to test the waters with earbuds. I'm open to multiple purchases, but would rather avoid clutter and pick the fewest earbuds possible. I like variety to some extent, but would like to get the best possible sound quality even if that means limiting the choice to only one. Won't be modding much besides rolling foams for now. Average to below average ear size. Value a linear FR without undue peaks/non-linearities anywhere. Have a preference for analog, buttery smooth, lush sound with realistic timbre, but without jeopardizing the technical ability to be a competent all-arounder. I listen to almost everything. I'm fine with either a slightly bright or dark tonal balance. Fine with either a thick and heavy or a relatively weightless sound. Bass light is fine. Anything as long as it sounds wholly coherent and natural/enjoyable.

Docomo stock earbud might fit the bill. It's below your budget but it's got a nice analog tonality, balance and is fairly well resolving with thin foams, or smoother/buttery with thicker donuts.

Buy the original better ones they are NOS/New old stock but i can get you the contact info of someone I just bought one off of. Shipping is like $5 and the bud cost like $6-12 depending on the options chosen.

@jogawag

May suggest you get the DIY PK SR2 version instead, i suggest you pick up both. It'll still come in at under $35.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #39,126 of 75,146
<100 i guess
VE Asura maybe, just got one from @Carrow and it's very clean sounding with good tonal balance if only slightly bright leaning. Doesn't have a lot of sub bass but has enough mid bass-low mids to balance the sound while never being 'warm'.

It's quite resolving but smooth, i can see classical, jazz and vocal playing well with this earbud.

I recommend these foams as the give the most clarity and the tonal balance is really good with these.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cg6plESy

Without hearing it myself you may want to consult with @HungryPanda and @bobeau about getting a toneking to600. From their description and your price point it might be the ideal earbud for your preference if you have a good source for amping.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #39,127 of 75,146
Have $35 to test the waters with earbuds. I'm open to mu ltiple purchases, but would rather avoid clutter and pick the fewest earbuds possible. I like variety to some extent, but would like to get the best possible sound quality (if worthwhile) even if that means limiting the choice to only one. Won't be modding much besides rolling foams for now. Average to below average ear size. Value a linear FR without jarring peaks/non-linearities anywhere. Have a preference for analog, buttery smooth, lush sound with realistic timbre, but without jeopardizing the technical ability to be a competent all-arounder. I listen to almost everything. I'm fine with either a slightly bright or dark tonal balance. Fine with either a thick and heavy or a relatively weightless sound. Bass light is fine. Anything as long as it sounds wholly coherent and natural/enjoyable.

EDIT: Earphone to be driven mainly by a Meridian Explorer 2 (0.5 Ohms OI) at home. If too hard to drive, I have a much more powerful desktop amp at hand.
Snow Lotus 1.0 would be my suggestion. Large soundstage, warm and natural signature, great detail. My favourite of all my phones, including some costing 20x more.
But if you don't like it you will have enough left to try something else. My DIY PK SR2 is still on the way so I can't comment on that. It has a slightly smaller shell which you might prefer.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #39,129 of 75,146
Sorry, deleted.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #39,134 of 75,146
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #39,135 of 75,146
To be honest Sean I'm happy with just about any earbud if I'm enjoying my music, last 2 days spent with the Faaeal Snow lotus 1.0+ and today I'm using K's K300 and couldn't be happier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back