Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #39,061 of 75,125
I'm very interested in acquiring a quality earbud to expand my small headgear collection, but the value proposition of this type of earphones is very confusing. I often see $10 - 20 earbuds being compared to $50 - 100 earbuds as if they have comparable sound quality. If I had up to $100 to spend on the best sounding earbuds, I'd have no idea where to look at...

A couple days ago, I blindly ordered an Edifier H180 for €9 not knowing its reputation in these pseudo-audiophile circles. I just want to have a feel for what to expect from such cheap earphones. I would have assumed that a $10 earbud wouldn't sound significantly better or worse than a $10 IEM. Yet I see people comparing it (and other similarly cheap ones) with much more expensive earbuds, which is confusing.

I don't know if this means that earbuds generally sound much inferior to IEMs and the extra $ buys very little increase in sound quality in this type of earphones or if cheapo earbuds can sound much superior to cheapo IEMs...

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #39,062 of 75,125
I'm very interested in acquiring a quality earbud to expand my small headgear collection, but the value proposition of this type of earphones is very confusing. I often see $10 - 20 earbuds being compared to $50 - 100 earbuds as if they have comparable sound quality. If I had up to $100 to spend on the best sounding earbuds, I'd have no idea where to look at...

A couple days ago, I blindly ordered an Edifier H180 for €9 not knowing its reputation in these pseudo-audiophile circles. I just want to have a feel for what to expect from such cheap earphones. I would have assumed that a $10 earbud wouldn't sound significantly better or worse than a $10 IEM. Yet I see people comparing it (and other similarly cheap ones) with much more expensive earbuds, which is confusing.

I don't know if this means that earbuds generally sound much inferior to IEMs and the extra $ buys very little increase in sound quality in this type of earphones or if cheapo earbuds can sound much superior to cheapo IEMs...
That's because there really is not much of a gap between the best sub $20 earbuds and the average $100 earbuds. Its partly because the best budget earbuds are quite excellent, especially if you're willing to fine tune the sound with foams or mods. But also because the general limitations of earbuds (sub bass extension), inconsistency of performance because of different earshapes and dimensions. Are not easily manageable by simply 'upgrading' to a finer tuned driver (you could debate that last point even).

Really you have to step up to $200+ to see a notable upgrade and even then you have to reasearch a lot to get the right earbud for your preferences.

My advice is to buy like 5 earbuds under $20. Get all the fan favourites like Vido, emx500, RY4s, Snow Lotus 1.0+, Docomo/diy pk2, monk plus. It will still come in at under $100 easily.

Then you can figure out exactly the upgrade path you want to take, what to expect from various earbud sound sigs, which shell type suits you best or which doesn't work for you.

I guarantee if you just go out and buy any $100 earbud you may be disappointed. You really have to test the waters with the budget stuff first.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #39,063 of 75,125
I'm very interested in acquiring a quality earbud to expand my small headgear collection, but the value proposition of this type of earphones is very confusing...

...If only price tag is ever a reliable indicator of performance.

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #39,064 of 75,125
Hey @subwoof3r, I just noticed your "important notice" in your sig. I know that you had a bad experience with the individual, but a lot of people said that they have had only good experiences with him. You had your experience and you wrote about it which is fine, but to me it seems a bit much to have that warning in your sig. My 2 cents fwiw!

I did not realize that was in his signature. You are right... that is too much. Nothing out of the ordinary occurred. The seller tried to tell him that a particular cable for a gift bud could be found on ali. His others are hand braided. He does not even advertise on here. Those who want to do business with him can and others do not have to. My experience was more than satisfactory.
After all, you both are right.. peace in this world :)
- sig removed -

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #39,065 of 75,125

The latter. My guess is it's relatively easy and cheap to produce a good small dynamic driver that performs well in an open context. But try to scale that up to larger headphones or in an isolated IEM and R&D considerations go up to keep relative performance.

I've had some Snow Lotus's ($10) for a week, using at least a few hours a day. My other daily driver is a KSE1200 which I've had since Sept and some CA Andromedas while out and about for the past couple years. Out of my mojo they are decidedly a hifi listen, as in I'm happy listening to these for hours and don't feel the need to grab the others. The others are clearly a step above but nowhere close to what the cost would suggest, and I could see some preferring these to something like the Andromedas simply based on the tuning or BA vs. dynamic tonality.

All the same, it's hard to not see what that next level up is so I have some $100 Toneking TO600s on the way (600 ohm earbuds lol).

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #39,066 of 75,125
But also because the general limitations of earbuds (sub bass extension), inconsistency of performance because of different earshapes and dimensions. Are not easily manageable by simply 'upgrading' to a finer tuned driver (you could debate that last point even).

You really have to test the waters with the budget stuff first.

I was indeed suspecting something like this. This design requires some experimentation.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #39,067 of 75,125
The latter. My guess is it's relatively easy and cheap to produce a good small dynamic driver that performs well in an open context. But try to scale that up to larger headphones or in an isolated IEM and R&D considerations go up to keep relative performance.

I get the feeling that R&D investment in earbuds is much lower than in IEMs... not sure if it's because earbuds are less popular than IEMs (correct me if I'm wrong) or because the design limitations are just to difficult to overcome.... or maybe both...

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #39,068 of 75,125
A lot of the increase in price of earbuds is not only R&D it is the cost of ever better drivers, upgraded cables, plugs,splitters etc. for around $12 I can get 10 emx drivers, $30 a pair of graphene.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #39,069 of 75,125
I get the feeling that R&D investment in earbuds is much lower than in IEMs... not sure if it's because earbuds are less popular than IEMs (correct me if I'm wrong) or because the design limitations are just to difficult to overcome.... or maybe both...

The market for $$ earbuds appears to be vanishingly small - I'm not sure if R&D is really a thing outside of DIY ethos even for the high-end market. It would surely be interesting if a big player like Shure or Sony took a stab at the 'high end' (ie. $300+) considering they're already in the $2k+ arena with IEMs.

About a dozen years back Audio Technica made some clip-on earbuds that I recall were something like $150. I own a pair and used them at the gym, I remember thinking they were good but I don't recall thinking they were superior than say a KSC75 which I also owned around the same time.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #39,070 of 75,125
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #39,071 of 75,125
I've had some Snow Lotus's ($10) for a week, using at least a few hours a day. My other daily driver is a KSE1200 which I've had since Sept and some CA Andromedas while out and about for the past couple years. Out of my mojo they are decidedly a hifi listen, as in I'm happy listening to these for hours and don't feel the need to grab the others. The others are clearly a step above but nowhere close to what the cost would suggest, and I could see some preferring these to something like the Andromedas simply based on the tuning or BA vs. dynamic tonality.
For the $10 Snow Lotus to be compared favourably to $2000 IEMs is impressive.

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #39,072 of 75,125
About a dozen years back Audio Technica made some clip-on earbuds that I recall were something like $150. I own a pair and used them at the gym, I remember thinking they were good but I don't recall thinking they were superior than say a KSC75 which I also owned around the same time.

The KSC75's have a way of bringing us audiophiles back to earth lol.

Edit: just like the budget buds these days :)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #39,073 of 75,125
The KSC75's have a way of bringing us audiophiles back to earth lol.

Edit: just like the budget buds these days :)
I agree. Every time I put on my KSC75 (I have 3!) I am amazed at what they can do. The SL 1.0 have a similar effect. Looking forward to the 1.0+ and the others I have ordered that were recommended.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #39,074 of 75,125
EB54.jpg

Kilinee (轻聆) K16
Rose Masya 2 (a.k.a. Masya Pro) Custom Edition
荣K68 Black Cable Edition
MoonDrop Shiro-Yuki
**** BK2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back