Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #38,057 of 75,134
He tried my EB2 and maxed out his ohone volume, so much that me sitting beside him vould hear the music, and now I am having a feeling that sound is distorted dont know if itsi placebo.
After some more listening I can confirm it was just a placebo, and sure it is bad for him but he wouldn't listen.
TALK LOUDER BECAUSE HE CAN'T HEAR YOU

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #38,058 of 75,134
Hi,

I've been out of earbud world for a while and I keep using my Tomahawks (which I prefer to the Yun Pk3, Edifier H180, Edifier H185 and original VE Monk that I also have)... I see there are lots of new options since then, but could you please help me telling me what are the best options right now if I'm looking for a V shaped earbud (I like deep impactful bass but with nice and cristal clear highs, similar to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro)?

My ears are on the smaller side, I don't know if anything bigger than my Tomahawks would fit...

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #38,059 of 75,134
Hi,

I've been out of earbud world for a while and I keep using my Tomahawks (which I prefer to the Yun Pk3, Edifier H180, Edifier H185 and original VE Monk that I also have)... I see there are lots of new options since then, but could you please help me telling me what are the best options right now if I'm looking for a V shaped earbud (I like deep impactful bass but with nice and cristal clear highs, similar to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro)?

My ears are on the smaller side, I don't know if anything bigger than my Tomahawks would fit...

Try RY4S + UE Cable first and work from here.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #38,061 of 75,134
Hi,

Your ears are on the smaller side, So try "diy SR2 16ohms TPE wire".
https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801646835.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801265552.html
Choice 2nd color on eigther page.
Diy SR2 16-tpe.jpg

Although small size PK type shell, this earbuds has V shaped sig with strong bass.
This earbuds need 100 hour burn-in.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #38,062 of 75,134
Hi,

The Faaeal Datura X would be of interest

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #38,064 of 75,134
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #38,065 of 75,134
Today, while listening to Jean du Voyage punishing bass track I notice my ry4s UE left driver rattle. Noooo...

Testing using tone generator reveal that indeed 30-40hz creates the rattle.. just over 1 month use. I just hope it will settle over time like my qian

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #38,066 of 75,134
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look at them... Monk's shell is not the greatest for me, maybe that's because Monk doesn't sound good for me.

I've done a quick google search for Faaeal Datura X and I've found this review https://audiobudget.com/product/FAAEAL/Datura-X where their mids are "agressive" instead of recessed as I like, bass seems great with avarage highs, but everything has his/her own ears.

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #38,068 of 75,134
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look at them... Monk's shell is not the greatest for me, maybe that's because Monk doesn't sound good for me.

I've done a quick google search for Faaeal Datura X and I've found this review https://audiobudget.com/product/FAAEAL/Datura-X where their mids are "agressive" instead of recessed as I like, bass seems great with avarage highs, but everything has his/her own ears.
I thought that mx500 shell sounded funny too but it turns out it's just the tuning of the driver in most cases. Some mx500 shell buds sound phenomenal. Plus the fact that it has a bigger cavity and good venting options makes it a great performer all round.

It's just the size that annoys me (thickness not diameter) but there's even solutions to that if you are prepared to mod your earbuds.

I still prefer the design of bell shaped earbuds (provided they are form fitting to the ear) but mx500 shell can be made very very good and confortable with a bit of diy and a good driver.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #38,069 of 75,134
I thought that mx500 shell sounded funny too but it turns out it's just the tuning of the driver in most cases. Some mx500 shell buds sound phenomenal. Plus the fact that it has a bigger cavity and good venting options makes it a great performer all round.

It's just the size that annoys me (thickness not diameter) but there's even solutions to that if you are prepared to mod your earbuds.

I still prefer the design of bell shaped earbuds (provided they are form fitting to the ear) but mx500 shell can be made very very good and confortable with a bit of diy and a good driver.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not a handyman and I would'nt know how start modding anything without destroying it... What would be your recommendation for a great out of the box V shaped earbud?

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #38,070 of 75,134
Thanks, unfortunately I'm not a handyman and I would'nt know how start modding anything without destroying it... What would be your recommendation for a great out of the box V shaped earbud?
All the budget ones with that sig take mx500 shell form. As it's cheap and easy to tune. The pk variants don't seem to offer a good V sig at this price point. The bass always seems to suffer extension issues compared to budget mx500 earbuds.

I really don't know of anything that's truly V shaped thats not mx500 shell under $50. Some will say certain pk buds have good bass but to my ears none really can match the extension of the $3 vido for instance, so I'm really struggling to think of any to recommend :/

My advice would be to await the release of the new budget model from K's which will probably be sub $50 and in their bell type housing. If it follows the tuning of the more fun tuned K's models it will be somewhat V shaped, with great bass presence and clear upper vocals and smooth but present treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back