Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #37,891 of 75,073
After spending few hours with my Blox YIN this week-end (between my burning table), I can say that the black point is finally (still?) the highs/treble extension.
It lacks details, they are inoffensive (Although it is cool for long time listening without being tired). I did a test and YIN shows their limit to approx 14400Hz.
I also feel like there is a slight bump in low-mids freq, which is the famous "improvement" from the TM9 I would say.
Other than that, we approach the perfection. I really feel like YIN is much less laid-back than TM9.
Soundstage is probably what impress me so much on these. It is almost the same as TM9 but a bit more large this time, deep is the same.
I still really appreciate the natural and transparency of those earbuds, that now Blox has found the right magicness.

Overall, I'm happy with my YIN :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #37,892 of 75,073
New deliveries from 11.11 :ksc75smile:

20181126_145424_HDR.jpg

ToneKing TO600 and Sabaj Da3.

Put it through a 2 hour burn-in before trying with a few test tracks. The TO600s are pretty impressive on first listen, but of course, its highly dependent on the position they are worn.
Used them with cables over ears and facing slightly forward on the ears.

They seem to do everything very nicely. Coherant and tonally excellent for female vocals. Good nice tight bass for classical and pop too. Sarah Mclachlan and Stacy Kent sure sounded lush.
Oh, separation is very good too.

They do present the tracks in the way I wore them, like mini open headphones. Very open and engaging sound stage.Very "clean" sounding without being "bright".

On a side note, they do not smooth over sibilance that is present in tracks but they are not overtly sibilant either. For stuff that I cannot hear sibilance on the Sennheiser HD6XX, I don't detect it here either.

But these are my subjective hearing assessments, nothing really to compare with except my **** PT15s.
Paid US$68.75 during the sale after combination of coupons and discount. I wouldn't have bought them at their normal asking prices of about US$100/-.

Will have to put them through more hours to give a more detailed assessment.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #37,893 of 75,073
My order of an RY assortment arrived yesterday. Here's what I'm finding...

RY4S - the basic buds for $6 cdn. These things sound great. Nice deep bass but still a balanced and fairly open sound overall. Better SQ than the Monk+ imho. Cable is nice too.

RY4S UE Cable - Bass not quite as thick as the basic RY4S and a more open soundstage. Lots of detail. Great overall sound. Not entirely sure it's worth the extra $6 a pair...but they definitely sound very good!

RY4X - these ones sound a little cluttered and just not as refined as the others to me. They sound a little more like a cheap earbud...and I don't like the cable much at all. (I accidentally selected the ones with the twisty black cable, which I don't like much. I see there is an option to order with the same cable as the standard RY4S which I would have preferred.)

So, the basic RY4S is the budget champ for me right now. Really amazing buds for $6...I think the RY's with the UE cable do sound a little better overall, but It's possible to convince myself that the basic buds have a SQ that isn't actually worse if you know what I mean. I'm happy to have a pair of the UE-cabled ones but I'll be ordering more of the standards just to kick around with.

Is vanilla RY4S an enhanced Vido then?

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #37,897 of 75,073
After spending few hours with my Blox YIN this week-end (between my burning table), I can say that the black point is finally (still?) the highs/treble extension.
It lacks details, they are inoffensive (Although it is cool for long time listening without being tired). I did a test and YIN shows their limit to approx 14400Hz.
I also feel like there is a slight bump in low-mids freq, which is the famous "improvement" from the TM9 I would say.
Other than that, we approach the perfection. I really feel like YIN is much less laid-back than TM9.
Soundstage is probably what impress me so much on these. It is almost the same as TM9 but a bit more large this time, deep is the same.
I still really appreciate the natural and transparency of those earbuds, that now Blox has found the right magicness.

Overall, I'm happy with my YIN :)
Considering 99.9% of music tone is under 14khz I think that's not a real issue. More important is the presence and consistency around 8-14khz.

Good to hear the low mids have more body to them, that would be my main concern along with it being a little more lively overall. Nice write up :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #37,898 of 75,073
New deliveries from 11.11 :ksc75smile:

ToneKing TO600 and Sabaj Da3.

Put it through a 2 hour burn-in before trying with a few test tracks. The TO600s are pretty impressive on first listen, but of course, its highly dependent on the position they are worn.
Used them with cables over ears and facing slightly forward on the ears.

They seem to do everything very nicely. Coherant and tonally excellent for female vocals. Good nice tight bass for classical and pop too. Sarah Mclachlan and Stacy Kent sure sounded lush.
Oh, separation is very good too.

They do present the tracks in the way I wore them, like mini open headphones. Very open and engaging sound stage.Very "clean" sounding without being "bright".

On a side note, they do not smooth over sibilance that is present in tracks but they are not overtly sibilant either. For stuff that I cannot hear sibilance on the Sennheiser HD6XX, I don't detect it here either.

But these are my subjective hearing assessments, nothing really to compare with except my **** PT15s.
Paid US$68.75 during the sale after combination of coupons and discount. I wouldn't have bought them at their normal asking prices of about US$100/-.

Will have to put them through more hours to give a more detailed assessment.
I think we have all been waiting to see this earbud being listened to! Pity you don't have a to400 or other similar buds to compare especially the bass since it was a weak point of the 400 for me. Regardless it's nice to see that someone has it and gives positive first impressions!

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #37,899 of 75,073
Hello folks,

I know that is a bit of topic but I need the opinion of yours about my burn in process. In my burn in process I'm using 2 raspberry pi playing pink noise for 40m in intervals of 2 hours. So, play 40m and rest 1h20m. I use 2 because I can run in parallel, with 2 earbuds at the same time. The burn in process runs for 8h (40m*12 = 8h) a day. What do you think about? Am I getting to easy with the earbuds?

I think it's fine, keep in mind there's no real agreement on how or whether to do burn in, so you just want to have the driver run for a while so that it in theory settles. Pink noise is the most scientific way to do that, and not running 24/7 is a good habit unless you want to stress test the driver (so that you return it if it breaks).

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #37,900 of 75,073
I think it's fine, keep in mind there's no real agreement on how or whether to do burn in, so you just want to have the driver run for a while so that it in theory settles. Pink noise is the most scientific way to do that, and not running 24/7 is a good habit unless you want to stress test the driver (so that you return it if it breaks).
I appreciate your return!

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #37,903 of 75,073
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #37,905 of 75,073
Have not been able to use IEMs for about 10 weeks. Glad I have good cans and buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back