Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #37,802 of 75,127
I am now the proud owner of a HungryPanda DIY EMX500 V1 bud :) It sounds amazing to me. I have never heard a regular EMX500 so I cannot compare. In my photo the black foams are covering the white fronts but you can see them in his photo in the quote. A HungryPanda DIY EMX500 V2 is planned. Stay tuned.

The title track on this album is the one I use to test sub bass. This one passes the test. Nicely tuned.

What are you listening to? Is that a hippo?

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #37,803 of 75,127
What are you listening to? Is that a hippo?

That is a hippo. Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (title track) by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. I don't think sub bass goes much lower than that...

I think if you look at the photo full size, you can actually read the screen:) At a PC anyway...

Actually at the moment I am listening to this:
51P0ipVJIjL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #37,805 of 75,127
Aren't earbuds just practically little speakers resting on your ears? Unlike IEMs which were designed with proper seal in mind, can't we just jack up the volume to compensate for the lack of seal?
No, because it would be the same imbalance, just with everything louder. Jacking up the volume produces more bass but even louder mids and highs. Earbuds are in fact designed to have some amount of seal for best performance.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #37,806 of 75,127
Oh my bad! It's about 2 mil.

IMO it makes a notable difference to the tonality. Just by blocking it with my thumb I can hear a difference. I prefer it open as it lends to the tm9's additional sub bass and more open sound. But I think it wouldn't hurt to be slightly more restrictive to tighten the bass slightly. Also the low mids seem to get a nice bump when its sealed. I'm guessing this has something to do with the science behind resonance peaks and how a dip follows. But it's just a subjective observation for now.

Bottom line is the tm9 is tuned a bit soft in the treble so swapping foams is not gonna help as it sounds best with thin as possible or even no foams. But the mids are pretty lean and brighter in that config. So I feel like it's missing that lush textured midrange quality I expect in a TOTL bud.

Overall I feel the mids needed to be fuller, or the treble a bit brighter to achieve a good balance.

The Yin is obviously the answer to the treble 'problem'. Do the yin still ship with thin foams I wonder? Or which foams are preferred for it. (Nevermind saw your Yin impression now, has ve thin blue foams)

Does the yin sound any fuller in the mids? Or is it still the same as the tm9? I think you mention its more forward and engaging. Hoping that means more emphasis in low and middle vocal region where most of the vocal body comes from.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #37,807 of 75,127
No, because it would be the same imbalance, just with everything louder. Jacking up the volume produces more bass but even louder mids and highs. Earbuds are in fact designed to have some amount of seal for best performance.

I find best results wearing them sideways. I never have to worry about a seal.

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #37,809 of 75,127
Heads up to people thinking of ordering from " beteran HiFi" store on AliExpress, it's a bad seller, I paid for DHL shipping, they said they shipped, they didn't, then after 2 weeks they said they couldn't, so we agreed on EMS shipping, after 3 more days they sent a tracking number it turns out they will use regular local shipping ( long story short local shipping is known to steal a lot ) I specifically paid and asked for DHL, they charged me for it, then said it would be EMS, now it turns out it will be regular post and they pocket the difference, in this case about $30, and I will have a very long wait, then it's 50/50 shot it might get "lost" in local post because that's corruption here, stay away from beteran HiFi, crappy service horrible shipping and the seller straight lies

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #37,810 of 75,127
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #37,812 of 75,127
Hi guys, is the Shozy BK Limited Edition specifically the one with blue cables, or is there another version?

Also, is there anywhere else other than Penon Audio I may obtain one?

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #37,813 of 75,127
61603F49-11AC-4F22-B4E7-0B67F3448F3F.png
Hi guys, is the Shozy BK Limited Edition specifically the one with blue cables, or is there another version?

Also, is there anywhere else other than Penon Audio I may obtain one?

Thanks!

Yeh. The blue cable is the one.

You can buy direct from Shozy. I used FB to contact them to buy my limited edition.

They based in Hong Kong where I live. So one of the management team hand delievered it to me.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #37,814 of 75,127
Heads up to people thinking of ordering from " beteran HiFi" store on AliExpress, it's a bad seller, I paid for DHL shipping, they said they shipped, they didn't, then after 2 weeks they said they couldn't, so we agreed on EMS shipping, after 3 more days they sent a tracking number it turns out they will use regular local shipping ( long story short local shipping is known to steal a lot ) I specifically paid and asked for DHL, they charged me for it, then said it would be EMS, now it turns out it will be regular post and they pocket the difference, in this case about $30, and I will have a very long wait, then it's 50/50 shot it might get "lost" in local post because that's corruption here, stay away from beteran HiFi, ****ty service horrible shipping and the seller straight lies

Consider to complain to Ali! Ask for refund for everything!

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #37,815 of 75,127

Yeh. The blue cable is the one.

You can buy direct from Shozy. I used FB to contact them to buy my limited edition.

They based in Hong Kong where I live. So one of the management team hand delievered it to me.
Thank you very much!

Is it worth the money?

I was hoping to grab it with a black Friday sale but I don't think there's any promotion for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back