Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #37,741 of 74,995
Just received my Blox YIN today ! (was fast! sent 14th and received today 20th to France!)

Quick impression right OOTB :
physically : they looks absolutely identical to TM9 (shares same plug, cable, housing, and still delivered with VE thin foams, but in blue this time, same box and same case. The only difference is the very small black heatshrink upper the longest transparent one, maybe to recognize TM9 and YIN?).
sound
: At the beginning they sounded almost same as my previous TM9, but I was wrong, there is definitely an improvement. They are much less laid-back, much more details in mids and highs which are this time more forwarded, while keeping the same bass texture and extension (it sems even better more controlled now). They are still sounding quite transparent and natural, with a rare precision. Soundstage looks the same, but I feel like it is even slightly more deep now.
Now I'm sure this YIN is the real TOTL from Blox that some of you were waiting for. I really feel like listening a ful headphone now. Incredible experience.
There is much thing to talk about sound, so I will try to sum-up all of this part in a proper review soon, and of course as always, after a full proper burning :)
But definitely, my EMX500 mod is already blasted compared to YIN (without any surprise..) :D
'laters

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #37,742 of 74,995
The ones that don't pinch never hold, you are fighting physics and gravity after like 5 minutes when the cable keeps slipping and the clip gets yanked off.

This one looks pretty decent, although I wont use them myself.

put a small tape below the cable clip to prevent the slipping

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #37,744 of 74,995
Just received my Blox YIN today ! (was fast! sent 14th and received today 20th to France!)

Quick impression right OOTB :
physically : they looks absolutely identical to TM9 (shares same plug, cable, housing, and still delivered with VE thin foams, but in blue this time, same box and same case. The only difference is the very small black heatshrink upper the longest transparent one, maybe to recognize TM9 and YIN?).
sound
: At the beginning they sounded almost same as my previous TM9, but I was wrong, there is definitely an improvement. They are much less laid-back, much more details in mids and highs which are this time more forwarded, while keeping the same bass texture and extension (it sems even better more controlled now). They are still sounding quite transparent and natural, with a rare precision. Soundstage looks the same, but I feel like it is even slightly more deep now.
Now I'm sure this YIN is the real TOTL from Blox that some of you were waiting for. I really feel like listening a ful headphone now. Incredible experience.
There is much thing to talk about sound, so I will try to sum-up all of this part in a proper review soon, and of course as always, after a full proper burning :)
But definitely, my EMX500 mod is already blasted compared to YIN (without any surprise..) :D
'laters
Can you confirm for me if the Yin has the second bass port open in the shell stem.

Tm9 has both open, leading to a more emphasised sub bass but looser overall bass response, it would also effect the balance and thus sound more laid back.

It's possible that the yin is just a retuned TM9. I mean, blox spent how long developing the tm9 and they whip up a new Yin earbud in mere weeks-months?

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #37,746 of 74,995
the haul from 11.11 has arrived! well the important bits at least, the earbuds! :L3000:props to the sellers of the EB2 and Linsoul BLD 150ohm on AE for fast shipping:o2smile:

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #37,747 of 74,995
Can you confirm for me if the Yin has the second bass port open in the shell stem.

Tm9 has both open, leading to a more emphasised sub bass but looser overall bass response, it would also effect the balance and thus sound more laid back.

It's possible that the yin is just a retuned TM9. I mean, blox spent how long developing the tm9 and they whip up a new Yin earbud in mere weeks-months?
Can you please tell me where exactly I need to check this ? (maybe via image?) I will check this.
At first sight, they sounds similar to TM9 so maybe it's just a quick tune like this. Just need to confirm.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #37,748 of 74,995
Can you please tell me where exactly I need to check this ? (maybe via image?) I will check this.
At first sight, they sounds similar to TM9 so maybe it's just a quick tune like this. Just need to confirm.
Inside this vent there will be an opening at the other end (a small 1-3mm hole) which you can see if you shine your phone's flashlight into the vent.

This is the bass port that runs parallel to the cable port. Most earbuds have it closed and let the cable port as as venting also, but some open it up.

If you make mmcx mx500 shell buds you need to open it up to retain the original sound since the cable port is now sealed.

For tm9 both are open meaning it's easy to generate sub bass even with thin foam, but the downside is the bass will sound a hit looser since its less restricted airflow its allowing the driver to give its maximum bass potential.

Capture+_2018-11-20-13-43-50.png

This is why the tm9 sounds so open. If you close it like most buds it will sound brighter but the tonality will be effected. So if tm9 driver was tuned for maximun 'open venting' it will sound more like an open back headphone, but if the is closed and another tuning factor changed it may change the sound profile.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #37,749 of 74,995
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #37,751 of 74,995
My 11.11 choices have seemed to fall apart, I guess I won't be getting my ty hiz hp320, or seahf 400 ohm, feel disappointed, stay away for store "beteran" at first had problem shipping, then sent me a weird tracking number, after I paid for DHL, no turns out he has not sent anything and tells me I need to pay more, I think I will simply cancel my order, any one try yaoyaotiger?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #37,752 of 74,995
Do you think UE cable have impact on SQ?

Also curious on how do you open up ry4s shell? I tried prying it with bare hand to no success.
Today I'm proud to bring life to two DIY EMX500's :)

We can't see them but behind ali foams there is white grids so this is a "full white" mod :wink:
On my second pair I used RY4S UE cable for them, but I prefer the cable I used on the black one.
Really loving them, not sure if it's due to the cable but I love the first one even better, is sounds just excellent to my ears: fun, vivid, energetic, very nice subbass and bass extension without any kind of bloat nor mids-bass bump, excellent details, large soundstage, nice mids presence, etc, they almost sound like a TOTL to me, so can't wait to receive my Blox YIN to make a compare for fun :D

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #37,753 of 74,995
My 11.11 choices have seemed to fall apart, I guess I won't be getting my ty hiz hp320, or seahf 400 ohm, feel disappointed, stay away for store "beteran" at first had problem shipping, then sent me a weird tracking number, after I paid for DHL, no turns out he has not sent anything and tells me I need to pay more, I think I will simply cancel my order, any one try yaoyaotiger?

I haven't bought from either of those stores, but Penon are well regarded and have the HP320. They also have Black Friday discounts coming up.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #37,754 of 74,995
Yeah, I heard penon is good but they seem to use local shipping, Wich in my country is literally run by thieves, so I don't want to risk it

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #37,755 of 74,995
For tm9 both are open meaning it's easy to generate sub bass even with thin foam, but the downside is the bass will sound a hit looser since its less restricted airflow its allowing the driver to give its maximum bass potential.
This is why the tm9 sounds so open. If you close it like most buds it will sound brighter but the tonality will be effected. So if tm9 driver was tuned for maximun 'open venting' it will sound more like an open back headphone, but if the is closed and another tuning factor changed it may change the sound profile.
Ok just got back to home to check.
Can you tell me by how much the hole is on your TM9 ? I checked on YIN and I can see a very very tiny hole (high precision manufacturing, for sure).
I checked on my old EMX500S shells and it looks having a bit the same tiny hole, this could explain the known high potential EMX500S in bass and subbass domain I guess?
I checked on my EMX500 white shells and there is absolutely no hole at all.
Personally I don't think such tiny hole makes sound so changing on YIN compared to TM9, but this could be very interesting. Unfortunately I can't take a photo as it's very difficult to do so.
This hole (if understand well) is joining the cable storage/knots space? if so, on the EMX500S shells it does not join, so I guess it's like a hole try but which finally is not really a hole at all from the other side. Unfortunately I won't try opening my YIN to verify that point :)

Do you think UE cable have impact on SQ?
Also curious on how do you open up ry4s shell? I tried prying it with bare hand to no success.
Well, not sure if it's the cable, for now I think so, but the EMX500 with RY4S UE cable was my first attempt, the second EMX500 I did (which sounds better), I have better soldering skills now so not sure if it's due to this or the drivers themselves (as I bought 5 pairs of drivers on ali) :)
I will do in the next days a drivers swap to really confirm that.
I'm using this tool to open EMX500 shells (and every other shells) with ease : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/ESD-13-Prec...Repair-Tool-Stainless-Steel-T67-/222642612061
You just need to be a bit careful and not using much force (because it ruined my RY4S, EMX500S and GM500, lol).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back