Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #36,616 of 75,134
Np bro, after listening to various of Zen in different types or form , I really came to how to better appreciate these earbud than the others earbud , iem I had a chance to play with , the sound of the Zen earbud is really the best sounding I could had ask for ,
I like the sound in each of every I had experienced with .

As for the VE amp , the reason is I already had their balanced and single end at hand now both the RA2B and the RA2.0 , if not owning the both or if I were to make my first purchase of the VE amp , the $200+ RA2.0 bal lite is the one I would had grab it happily without consider too much , that's for sure , but since I had both the balanced and single end with me there's no reason for me to grab this portable little as much as I would like to , but having said that , maybe after I had done with the rest of the item in my Must Buy list , with extra cash in hand I might grab this portable little who knows ,
This portable little is really hard to be beaten consider its listed price and the all power output spec in balanced and single end .
Definitely bang for buck .
If you're considering in a VE portable all time powerful Amp for the Zen , even though myself had not experienced the power of this $200+ portable little , this will not restraint me of giving you the recommendation .
As a legit ve amp user and own 2 of the VE portable amp currently, I guess I am qualified to give you one .
that 200+ bal lite are the one I would strongly recommend you to purchase and go pair up with the amazing Zen.
Thanks for your recommendation. Tbh, I prefer hear your take on RA2.0B and RA2.0 and how they paired with the Ve Zen.

Sorry, we got too excited back then so that we derailed the thread.
As it related to the Ve Zen earbuds I hope it didn't disturb you guys.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #36,619 of 75,134
Does the type of wire used in the interconnect between driver and 2 pin connector not effect the sound compared to a direct connection to the driver? (Like all nom detachable cables).

But i do believe a direct soldered to the driver is the best of all , but then even if it's a direct soldered on , the type of solder metal used may also have a effect on the sonic .

that is what exactly i believe too..
any type of plug decreasing signal quality.. when you use a replacable cable you have three unnecessary connections;
soldering cable to the male plug, then male and female plugs contacting somehow and then soldering that female plug to another cable inside the shell (sometimes it's impossible to use your desired cable inside the shell) and another solder to the driver.. instead of one connection you have four connections now.. quality of solder can't compensate signal loss but only can reduce..
direct soldering is much easy and best way to transmit a signal for me..

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #36,620 of 75,134
I still mourn about dead Zen1.0 :frowning2:

I feel for you! Mine are alive and well, but in a safety deposit box so that I am not tempted to use them and break them :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #36,621 of 75,134
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #36,622 of 75,134
that is what exactly i believe too..
any type of plug decreasing signal quality.. when you use a replacable cable you have three unnecessary connections;
soldering cable to the male plug, then male and female plugs contacting somehow and then soldering that female plug to another cable inside the shell (sometimes it's impossible to use your desired cable inside the shell) and another solder to the driver.. instead of one connection you have four connections now.. quality of solder can't compensate signal loss but only can reduce..
direct soldering is much easy and best way to transmit a signal for me..
Well if you are a dedicated believer in cables and strive for a pure signal then all this must matter too.

I see so many posts about pure silver cables and how it's so superior and then you realise they left the $1 copper wire in the interconnect.... That would bother me lol

That's why I find it comical that some will spend $500+ on a cable saying they want the purest and best signal and not even consider rewiring the internals or removing detachable connectors.

This either shows that they buy into hype and don't really consider the full connection, or have too much money to burn lol!

That's the part of hype around cables I don't like... If you gonna commit to cables being everything the you can't half ass it!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #36,623 of 75,134
Wow. Thanks for so much information and your experiences you provided in your reply.
I too often listening to music loud so I prefer buds with kind of smooth signature, as their mid don't become shouty to my ears.
I agree that the Zen really shine when proper amped, but as my most listening time is at work so I often use it with a dap like AR M2 and Hiby R6.
For me, the oyaide 102ssc is stiff enough that make me think twice to go with the Cardas cable or Zen Black.
I chose the Satin Griffin cable as it is pure occ copper litz cable (with cryogenic treatment) and it did not disappoint me. Smooth sound with more details on the mid and treb (without any harsh or piercings). The presentation is full and more proper placement.
I always hear that VE Amps is best choice for Zen so maybe it's time for me to get one.
The zen is the same cost as monk. Wild Lee says so at the reddit AMA

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #36,624 of 75,134
Just wanted to say it is absolutely amazing that the AE 'ofo' (one hundred for one dollar) earphone pads make everything from my $100+ earbuds to my $6 buds sound better! I always want the nicer, more durable ones that come with many earbuds to sound better... But they don't.... :thinking:

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #36,625 of 75,134
Well if you are a dedicated believer in cables and strive for a pure signal then all this must matter too.

I see so many posts about pure silver cables and how it's so superior and then you realise they left the $1 copper wire in the interconnect.... That would bother me lol

That's why I find it comical that some will spend $500+ on a cable saying they want the purest and best signal and not even consider rewiring the internals or removing detachable connectors.

This either shows that they buy into hype and don't really consider the full connection, or have too much money to burn lol!

That's the part of hype around cables I don't like... If you gonna commit to cables being everything the you can't half ass it!

no, I'm not, in fact contrary.
but a believer of honesty and simplicity on cables.. a pure copper cable is not that much expensive.. but those flashy plugs, connectors etc. adds nothing to the signal.. just rich boys jewellery imho..
there is a saying about cables;
best cable is no cable :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #36,626 of 75,134
Same cost to produce doesn't necessarily mean same cost to research and develop.

It can use very similar matierial cost wise but doesn't make it the same driver. Unless he specifically said its the same driver of course.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #36,627 of 75,134

maybe, but I'd rather own one Zen than 30 monk plus. the way i see it my ears have limited and downward sloping lifetime, so with limited time per-day to listen to music, I'd try to give them the best possible time :ksc75smile:

I'm not saying more expensive buds are always better, it's just i don't enjoy the monks too much. same as the mojito for instance. those are expensive, but i would rather not spend my "ear time" listening to it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #36,628 of 75,134

detachable cables are for cable tinkerers and those who favor versatility. (i belong on the latter)
sometimes when people wants to experience /experiment on cables, it's still best to have detachables, so they can hear the difference quickly. once they know what cables are suited for them, then they can have their option to solder them permanently.

i like some buds/iems to have detachable cables for purposes of using them as bluetooths.

for both scenarios, any sound degradation from the connectors is minimal compared to the benefit of convenience

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #36,629 of 75,134
detachable cables are for cable tinkerers and those who favor versatility. (i belong on the latter)
sometimes when people wants to experience /experiment on cables, it's still best to have detachables, so they can hear the difference quickly. once they know what cables are suited for them, then they can have their option to solder them permanently.

i like some buds/iems to have detachable cables for purposes of using them as bluetooths.

for both scenarios, any sound degradation from the connectors is minimal compared to the benefit of convenience
True and I have no issue with that, or using detachable earbud with upgraded cable, but if purchase high end expensive cable then it probably makes sense to go the extra 10% and use direct wired or change the interconnect cable to the same type.

It's good for cable rolling and for people who want logetivity with replaceable cables though.

There's a place for all kinds I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back