Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #36,541 of 75,077
I, for one, think something goofy is going on with his pair. I often get the same impressions as he does on gear, but the bk I had (and sold) did not sound like he describes.

There are recent report of BK sounding very veil in China as well, and the suspected culprit is either faulty or even fake driver being used (*not unheard of for people to swap out real driver with cheap stuff then resold the earphone as real stuff for a high price, then resold the driver as real replacement for more money). I have heard story from one of the well known earbuds maker that people swapped out driver and sent it back for repair hoping it will be replaced with the real one. Not saying this will be the case here, but it is best to get your more expensive earbuds from a trusted retailer.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #36,542 of 75,077
Professional CIEM companies add enamel coating (or nail polish) as a visual indicator, like that:

gtbuaqknkihz.jpg

So many sellers will refuse to exchange/return if you've soldered the unit since this enamel layer won't be there. After this BK rumor, they should try to adapt something like that.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #36,543 of 75,077
Let Down is a great track to test the mids detail of earphones. if you can hear what Thom's saying, then the earphones have good mids

I just checked that out, and you are most correct! Btw, the RY4S's have good mids :)

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #36,544 of 75,077
Well I just bought another earbud I probably don't need but must hear lol. All you guys hyping the Ry4S. You all suck! :wink:

Thank you, thank you very much! They are simply, somehow very good. I think you'll like them - but you'll suck if you don't lol!

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #36,546 of 75,077
Does anyone have the yinmans? My wife is looking at the 500-600 ohm yinmans, but I don't see reviews can anyone tell me how they sound?

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #36,547 of 75,077
Does anyone have the yinmans? My wife is looking at the 500-600 ohm yinmans, but I don't see reviews can anyone tell me how they sound?
Use the search function Chinmie gave some very positive impressions on the 600 awhile back.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #36,548 of 75,077
- Daddy, why do you need so many earbuds?

- Ummm...errrr.. Well, mom is clumsy and when she breaks her earbuds, I'll give her one of these.

- But she hasn't broken her buds yet.

- Go do your homework.

-------------------------------------------------

In other news, of course I couldn't resist ordering those gorgeous RY4S in red for only $4. Thanx for the tip about the UE cable, waynes world. If these turn out to be notably inferior to Snow Lotus 1.0+ and EMX500s there's always another sale at Ali.

Snow Lotus are breaking in rather nicely. They share the warm and impactful sound signature with EMX500s, but they present music in a more speaker-like way, as if you are listening from a couple of rows in the back. It's very relaxing and musical, plus they manage to pull out more details and stronger holographic (?) effects.

With EMX, the feel is more intimate, like you are inside music. The sound is a bit fuller, but also more left to right.

These buds complement each other very well and they both react nicely to EQ, crosfeed, Haas surround and other Rockbox witchery.

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #36,550 of 75,077
Moonbuds just announced a Yuin bud. Those of you that like that style better go check them out!
They have a few yuin shell buds already. One is a TOTL (i think nightingale?) And the bunting.

But he is releasing new buds almost as regularly as Blur.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #36,551 of 75,077
Euphoric. Some of the most clear and perfectly positioned vocal earbuds in it's price range. Yes it's forward but with nice space around it. It's a little bright in the upper mids but the mutli hole custom foams really balance it out at the expense of some air. Treble is clear and the response isn't linear but curved in a very musical way with sparkle.

Might sound it's best on a fuller source to really bring out some weight in the lower frequencies.

I have heard the Masya. My husband has it and I borrowed it one night. I loved it but he would not let me keep it!

mbwilson111 seanc6441 You are right, Rose Masya it's a really good earbud. I think it will be better (scale up) when a got a better source. But by now I also received the EB2 and It's better on Fiio M3.

Tks a lot :ksc75smile:

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #36,552 of 75,077
There are recent report of BK sounding very veil in China as well, and the suspected culprit is either faulty or even fake driver being used (*not unheard of for people to swap out real driver with cheap stuff then resold the earphone as real stuff for a high price, then resold the driver as real replacement for more money). I have heard story from one of the well known earbuds maker that people swapped out driver and sent it back for repair hoping it will be replaced with the real one. Not saying this will be the case here, but it is best to get your more expensive earbuds from a trusted retailer.

Yea, I don't know. I might risk it later, but I've learned to lower my expectations.

I've read reviews where Cygnus is better than BK. Where BK is declared to be the best earbud ever, etc...

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #36,554 of 75,077
mbwilson111 seanc6441 You are right, Rose Masya it's a really good earbud. I think it will be better (scale up) when a got a better source. But by now I also received the EB2 and It's better on Fiio M3.

Tks a lot :ksc75smile:
For me the source OI is the important factor. It will completey transform the sound of the masya from bright and lean to balanced and smooth.

But too much and the sound will become muddy. I think 3-4ohm is just right. 5 ohm will be thicker sounding and 1ohm will be very thin.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #36,555 of 75,077
Yea, I don't know. I might risk it later, but I've learned to lower my expectations.

I've read reviews where Cygnus is better than BK. Where BK is declared to be the best earbud ever, etc...

I have read similar reviews, and not just recently either...then I read a lot of reviews say that the Willsound PK32 is better than the Cygnus, but less good than the PK32...so in the end everyone's taste seems a little different, no clear winner, they all do things a little different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back