Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #31,726 of 75,144
I don't burn in explicitly, but it does affect the sound. My mk2 rev2 has over 100 hrs on it and a colleague at work got his two weeks back after hearing mine. His has about 30 hrs on it and in comparison my unit sounds bigger, thicker and bassier with more trebel extension.
Quite noticeably too, my colleague was taken aback by the difference.
I think it completely depends on the driver, some sound good out of box, others improve. For me it’s usually subtle but we love subtle differences in this hobby hence why we buy so much earbuds :)

I don’t really burn mine in either and just listen away, but if seller specifically says to burn in, no harm in following advice and see what it does :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #31,727 of 75,144
I think it completely depends on the driver, some sound good out of box, others improve. For me it’s usually subtle but we love subtle differences in this hobby hence why we buy so much earbuds :)

I don’t really burn mine in either and just listen away, but if seller specifically says to burn in, no harm in following advice and see what it does :)

I usually don't like burn in something, but some cases they do change sound after a few hours of play. The most obvious case was the TY32 that i once had, the first time ootb it sounded choked, but sounded better after just a few hours of play, whereas the TY32S (red cable) sounded good and doesn't change much even after hours.

But still, i generally won't put up with anything that only sound good/listenable only after hours of play. With the Willsound they sound good ootb and matured after hours of play, so i just consider the maturing up part as a bonus

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #31,728 of 75,144
Just curious: how do you like the bass on your MK2 rev2's?
Bass on MK2 rev2 is just impressive, there is plenty of bass (maybe too much due to mid-bass presence), it is lacking a bit of sub-bass (even if it's still present by default). Compared to PK32 it's another world. On PK32 you have to guess (if you don't know your tracks well already) that there is bass on them.
King of bass for me is still definitely EMX500S (perfect presence of sub-bass and bass, which make them sounding like headphones).

Also, I feel that PK32 is a bit less natural than MK series due to it's inversed V-shaped sounding. mids are too forwarded to really sound natural.

My pk32 are going boom boom fine, very enjoyable. That said, they wont extend low like the Mks.
My pair has definitely no "boom boom" from bass side. Not "enjoyable" at all in bass domain.
My pair is now 50 hours of burning, sound did not really changed significantly for now, but I keep trusting.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #31,729 of 75,144
Bass on MK2 rev2 is just impressive, there is plenty of bass (maybe too much due to mid-bass presence), it is lacking a bit of sub-bass (even if it's still present by default). Compared to PK32 it's another world. On PK32 you have to guess (if you don't know your tracks well already) that there is bass on them.
King of bass for me is still definitely EMX500S (perfect presence of sub-bass and bass, which make them sounding like headphones).

Also, I feel that PK32 is a bit less natural than MK series due to it's inversed V-shaped sounding. mids are too forwarded to really sound natural.

My pair has definitely no "boom boom" from bass side. Not "enjoyable" at all in bass domain.
My pair is now 50 hours of burning, sound did not really changed significantly for now, but I keep trusting.
If there’s an issue with your PK32 in the bass this may also give you the impression of mids being too forward as there is no bass to balance it out.

I’ll listen to mine once it arrives and see if I can make anything of it, but it really does seem like you got the defect of the bunch.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #31,730 of 75,144

Perhaps they need to burn in properly for a couple of days for the sound to settle. Most buds dont sound the same ootb vs more usage.

See if in a week's time or so they dont sound like mines or Chinmies then you could check with willy if they need fixing or something.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #31,732 of 75,144
I am new to buds. Could you please recommend some options up to 200usd? Most important is a very deep and tall soundstage, with somewhat foreward projections.
SIgnature wise i like neutral top to bottom with little bit warmth and relaxed mids. Subbass extension should be as deep as possible in this pricerange for a bud.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #31,737 of 75,144
To check sub bass

Pls use James Blake - Limit to your love.
I tried to make a first listen of this track using PK32 and I never heard any sub-bass (nor bass) at all. So I firstly thought it was a joke, but when I gave a second listen with my MK2 rev2, I was like chocked! incredible sub-bass and bass on this track, amazing. Can't imagine on EMX500S.. ^^
Again, it confirms then that my pair has definitely a problem, but I will still wait few more days to finish at least 100 hours (as recommended by Willy).

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #31,739 of 75,144
I am new to buds. Could you please recommend some options up to 200usd? Most important is a very deep and tall soundstage, with somewhat foreward projections.
SIgnature wise i like neutral top to bottom with little bit warmth and relaxed mids. Subbass extension should be as deep as possible in this pricerange for a bud.
Buy balanced Shozy BK Stardust and forget hustle with earbuds, because the search there will suck huge part of your life, which does not really cost the spendings.
P.s: Also for you soundsignature greatly will work TY HI-Z AWK-F150TS. The best bass and subass on earbuds ever (except few top-notch models such as zen Black Cardas, Diomnes LV2 deeply pushed down to the eardrum)

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #31,740 of 75,144
Not sure what buds to try next. I have:
Vido
Emx500
Emxs500
Snow lotus
Graphene
Tomahawk
2 blurs
Zen lites
Monks
Those two bs1 that came as a set
Rx-1

Not sure where to go next. Think I'd like a big wide sound with lots of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back