Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #31,711 of 75,147
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, appreciated :)

Mainly: Willsound MK2 rev2, MK1 rev2 (sold recently but can still remember well). If it can help I still have the following to compare : EMX500S, Edifier H180, VE Monk (rev1)
Can you please tell me what difference you really feel between those models in bass domain? because to me it's like 2 different worlds yet.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will let them burn for at least 150 hours and I will report back :)

All you listed (except monk 1,haven't heard of it) are bass heavy hitters. When compared to the PK32 immediately after listening to the others listed, the PK32 might sound lighter on bass.. But i still think it's odd because before burning the PK32 sounds the bassiest (more midbass), well at least the one i have. Even now the bass on my unit is still have ample amount after hours of use

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #31,712 of 75,147
But i still think it's odd because before burning the PK32 sounds the bassiest (more midbass), well at least the one i have. Even now the bass on my unit is still have ample amount after hours of use
Compared to your MK2 rev2 pair (which is known to have a decent quantity of mid-bass), are they almost the exact same for you? (it's just to have an idea)

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #31,714 of 75,147
Compared to your MK2 rev2 pair (which is known to have a decent quantity of mid-bass), are they almost the exact same for you? (it's just to have an idea)

Nope, the MK line would be bigger midbass than the PK32, with the MK3 the most similar (but still a bit bigger midbass) to the PK32. I'll get back to you after i make sure comparing when i get home

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #31,718 of 75,147

just tested the MKs: for info, i always use thin foams with my MK2 (rev1), and also i see willy sent his MKs with thin foams attached, but it seems not as thin/porous as my MK2, and i use hiegis with the PK32.

using MKs with hiegis make the bass (especially midbass) overwhelming for my taste. PK32 with hiegis have a nice subbass and still detailed on the treble.

Hey everyone, Posted my impression on the V-Master here. Hope you guys like it!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/v-master-from-v-friend.23136/reviews#review-20392

nice review, and on point to what i feel when i auditioned the V master

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #31,719 of 75,147
PK32 with hiegis have a nice subbass and still detailed on the treble.
Are you serious about talking of sub-bass on your PK32 pair ? mine after 30 hours of burning is still definitely bass anemic and absolutely (of course) no sub-bass at all.
I think I have a defective pair, it cannot be possible. We have very different minds on our PK32. I will contact Willy soon if the pair does not change for the next few days, but for now I can't really say it did changed, or only slightly (but definitely not in bass domain).

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #31,720 of 75,147
Are you serious about talking of sub-bass on your PK32 pair ? mine after 30 hours of burning is still definitely bass anemic and absolutely (of course) no sub-bass at all.
I think I have a defective pair, it cannot be possible. We have very different minds on our PK32. I will contact Willy soon if the pair does not change for the next few days, but for now I can't really say it did changed, or only slightly (but definitely not in bass domain).

yes in extension, but volume wise it's lesser amount than MK2, but it still have that sub reverberation. i try some Massive Attack and this playlist to test it

@Guggga how's your PK32 unit doing? is it bass anemic too?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #31,721 of 75,147
I'm still waiting to give it the full 200 hr burn in Herry recommended before I make any definitive statements about the sound. But OOTB I've noticed bigger stage/better separation (even for song with a tight arrangement), a little less bass but definitely tighter/more controlled, also the mids don't feel as recessed but definitely still slightly v- or u-shaped.
The case I received with the Zoomfreds is a zip up travel case, but quite large - about the length of an iPhone, but wider and thicker.

At first I was worried that the Zoomfreds were too bright, but over time the highs have tamed. The sub bass is impressive for an earbud, and they have great imaging and soundstage. Full disclosure: I have become something of a Cypherus fangirl. When I am able to listen to music at work (maybe a day or two a week), the Campfred2 and HiBy R6 is my go-to portable setup. I love the CAX Black, though can only use those at home when sitting still because of the rigidness of the cable. I also own the Blue Darth, but haven't given them a fair listen.

I have a pretty decent collection of commercial and small maker buds (from the very affordable Wilsound to pretty pricey Blur), but there is just something about the sound of all the CAX products that I like....... they are all different, but the tuning and soundstage really appeals to me.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #31,722 of 75,147
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, appreciated :)

Mainly: Willsound MK2 rev2, MK1 rev2 (sold recently but can still remember well). If it can help I still have the following to compare : EMX500S, Edifier H180, VE Monk (rev1)
Can you please tell me what difference you really feel between those models in bass domain? because to me it's like 2 different worlds yet.

Just curious: how do you like the bass on your MK2 rev2's?

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #31,725 of 75,147
I don't burn in explicitly, but it does affect the sound. My mk2 rev2 has over 100 hrs on it and a colleague at work got his two weeks back after hearing mine. His has about 30 hrs on it and in comparison my unit sounds bigger, thicker and bassier with more trebel extension.
Quite noticeably too, my colleague was taken aback by the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back