Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #29,686 of 75,139

my package has arrived! got a bundle of DFR, Zen 2,and Asura 1 for basically a robbery price :dt880smile:

been listening to this setup all night and finding it hard to put down. the Zen 2 is refreshing for me, as i usually don't like dark sounding earbuds, but this is definitely a pleasant surprise. it's warm sounding and a bit rolled off on bass and treble, but still has enough of them and still clear.

and that mids...oh boy the mids...so nice to hear.

also this is the only buds that sounded the best (and in fact more headphone like) without foams at all. putting one would mess up the sound. thin foams might be passable, but i would still recommend none
Zens good for vocals, yep
IMG_1519886036088.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #29,687 of 75,139
These descriptions are quite funny........ graphene is just an allotrope of carbon, hardly a "rare earth" metal. :unamused:
they will start using raratanium coated drivers next :)

my package has arrived! got a bundle of DFR, Zen 2,and Asura 1 for basically a robbery price :dt880smile:

been listening to this setup all night and finding it hard to put down. the Zen 2 is refreshing for me, as i usually don't like dark sounding earbuds, but this is definitely a pleasant surprise. it's warm sounding and a bit rolled off on bass and treble, but still has enough of them and still clear.

also this is the only buds that sounded the best (and in fact more headphone like) without foams at all. putting one would mess up the sound. thin foams might be passable, but i would still recommend none
I bet the bass is only rolled off slightly because of the lack of foam to seal it slightly.

I wonder if you tried regular donuts but use hole punch or cut out holes to allow all treble through. Might be some serious sub bass hidden in there :)

Of course it’s also refreshing to listen without foams on a dark earbud, just a different sound presentation.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #29,688 of 75,139
Anywhere good for stocking K's range of earbuds that isn't a certain banned seller who shall remain nameless? All I'm asking for is alternatives and haven't specifically mentioned them, don't delete my post again ***

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #29,689 of 75,139
they will start using raratanium coated drivers next :)

I bet the bass is only rolled off slightly because of the lack of foam to seal it slightly.

I wonder if you tried regular donuts but use hole punch or cut out holes to allow all treble through. Might be some serious sub bass hidden in there :)

Of course it’s also refreshing to listen without foams on a dark earbud, just a different sound presentation.

when a new buds come to my house, i definitely tried every foam setting to find the optimal sound, and this one definitely needs none, or thin ones only. :ksc75smile:

adding foams would only increase midbass and boomy-ness of the sound, not extend the bass lower

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #29,690 of 75,139
These descriptions are quite funny........ graphene is just an allotrope of carbon, hardly a "rare earth" metal. :unamused:
It seems like 'graphene' still keep in your mind. :grin:
Yesterday I have a chance to try the prototype version of 400-ohm Graphene diaphragm earbuds that my friend bought driver sample units directly from a factory, and he asked me to give him opinion and impression. He tune it pretty well and I gave pros&cons feedback inputs for his further improvement in the next stage.
By the way, rather than whether graphene would be called "rare earth" or not, I have another issue keeping in my mind. That is 'Docomo' earbuds. Docomo is the one of Japanese telecomunication service provider company. However, I ever look up to the docomo website and other Japanese websites. There are some of their offering about smartphone tie up to his telephone/internet monthly fee package contract. Firstly I thought that 'docomo' earbuds might be included as a free gift in such kind of combo, but there is not. Also I've never seen Japanese people wearing 'docomo' earbuds as well both in 90's -2010's Japanese drama, commercial spots and outdoor public too. So I guess this 'docomo' earbuds might be produced and initially sold in China.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #29,691 of 75,139
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #29,692 of 75,139
Anywhere good for stocking K's range of earbuds that isn't a certain banned seller who shall remain nameless? All I'm asking for is alternatives and haven't specifically mentioned them, don't delete my post again ***
AK audio store

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #29,693 of 75,139
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #29,695 of 75,139

I had the Zen 2 before and had sold them. Could you please quickly compare the Zen 2.0 vs the Liebesleid? Had the Zen 2.0 overthrown the Liebesleid on your book? Mine is still coming and I'm pretty excited to hear it. :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #29,696 of 75,139
Hi Sean, yes I had my friend and I have been periodically changing the foams on the Masya (thanks again BTW, fantastic buds, my favourite now) and one ‘experiment’ was some full foams with 4 holes cut into them over a silicone ring. It gave a decent seal for some bass but more room to breathe, which made it fantastic for vocal and acoustic music, but I moved back to a Hiegi donut over a thin donut for EDM listening.

I have also been enjoying the Willsound Mk2’s since they arrived. These are now my second faves behind the Masyas, fantastic buds for just over £30 delivered. I genuinely recommend them and they do not get enough mention in this thread.

tried this on my EMx 500 and R4YS, the soundstage became kind of expansive and articulated but depth a little more and bass became less.. the treble became rather less nuanced or i rather call it sibilant. The vocal and overall signature seems to be slightly better in clarity and forwardness I guess this mod works best on those overly bassy earphones which drown upper frequencies or where the mids are recessed.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #29,697 of 75,139
I had the Zen 2 before and had sold them. Could you please quickly compare the Zen 2.0 vs the Liebesleid? Had the Zen 2.0 overthrown the Liebesleid on your book? Mine is still coming and I'm pretty excited to hear it. :)

Overthrow the Liebesleid? No way :dt880smile:
I like clarity and detail. The Liebesleid is still the best compared to any buds doing that in my book.

The Zen 2 is still a great bud, and a welcome change of sound.

The Liebesleid has better extention both ways, but less bass volume. The bass is much faster, snappier and has more kick. Soundstage presentation is also different.

Zen 2 is a pleasant, warm mid sounding buds. It is really enjoyable to listen, just don't expect clarity from it

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #29,698 of 75,139
:) Nice to know. So it's really that good then. Thanks.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #29,699 of 75,139
Yes I have been checking out the Cypherus range. Looking at the Campfred2 at the moment. As it's a small operation I believe I would expect a long delivery time to the UK? The maysa looks good and Aliexpress is quoting 7-14 days. Do you know how it would compare Vs the mojito?

When I have bought earbuds from Cypherus, shipping has been fast but expensive (EMS). When I bought them (first QFred, then CampFred 1 & CAX Black edition - both Red Dragon and CampFred 2 were second hand purchases) EMS was the only option available so I had to pay around $40 in shipping costs. Herry wrote a low value on the package so I didn't have to pay import taxes and fees.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #29,700 of 75,139
Since I enjoy listening to my ToneKing TO200, and due to them being available for such a good deal, I went ahead and ordered the TO400s during the AliExpress Sale.
It should be interesting comparing the overall sound of the two models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back