Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #29,371 of 75,077
Let get to the basic first: regular BK single-ended vs. balanced. As some of you BK owner knows, BK doesn't have the biggest soundstage around. Its strongest point is really in its mid (as I have seen some of you described it as being an "analog" sound). However, when in balanced and thanks to the complete channel separation, two things happen - First, the soundstage widens and deepens by around 10~15%. Not much by any means, but it is enough to rebalance the whole presentation without ruining the beautiful mid-range while gives a really "grand" feeling. In contrast, the regular BK often makes me feel just a bit too intimate. The second thing is that the bass range also tightens up a bit with a more solid and precise hit. Again, the improvement is small but just enough to rebalance the presentation. When we talk about ToTL earbuds that are neck and neck in SQ, I think these tiny bit of differences are enough to set things apart, hence why I always said that BK is really in its best element when driven in balanced.

Now let talk about BK blue and the magic of pure silver cable - the main difference between blue and the regular BK is that the pure silver cable has in a way 'corrected' the only weakness of BK, which as we discussed above is the fact that BK doesn't have a very big soundstage (*though the blue does more than that). Even in single-ended setup, blue's soundstage is already almost as big as regular BK in balanced. Adding to that, it also comes with more texture/detail over the entire frequency range, as if all the background notes in the regular BK are lifted to the front. This can be both a good or a bad thing depends on whether you like the original BK's presentation or not. If you really like BK's beautiful midrange, then the extra detail and texture can become somewhat of a distraction. However, If we were to forget about original BK all together, the blue on its own is still a really excellent sounding earbud despite sounding less "analog-ish" and more to the "rich" side of things. But when blue is driven in balanced, things take a turn of the worst - ever heard people say that something can become too much of a good thing? Well, it applies here. Instead of a mere distraction, it turns into somewhat of an "exaggeration" and takes away the main strength of the BK driver. In that sense, I really won't recommend BK blue for balance use. But for single-ended, I think it can consider a small upgrade over BK - small in the sense that regular BK is already a ToTL earbud and any room for improvement is naturally not going to be big unless someone starts making BK in quantum cable that completely destroy our understanding of reality.

Thank you for this detailed comparison. I really like the sound of the BK balanced buds with the Fiio x7m2. Kept wondering about the blue version. This was very helpful.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #29,372 of 75,077
I like them a lot and use them as my regular earbuds at work. I paid $30 middle of last year. The upcoming sale price is excellent value.

ClieOS wrote this, which is high praise for something in this price range:

Oh snap. They are definitely on my to buy list then. Thanks.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #29,373 of 75,077
These days I always try to get everything in 2.5mm balanced plug - not just because that I already have several DAP with balanced 2.5mm, but also the fact adding a small balanced 2.5mm to single-ended 3.5mm adapter is easy and not that intrusive (plus not that expensive). That way I get the best of both worlds.

Where can I find a balanced 2.5mm to single-ended 3.5mm adapter?

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #29,374 of 75,077
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #29,375 of 75,077
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #29,377 of 75,077
It depends,

With the back vents covered (by foam), BS-1's soundstage suffers and only a bit better than White Ling. With the back vents unobstructed, BS-1's soundstage is indeed noticeably bigger than both White Ling and BK. However, the opposite is true for mid-range texture which improves with the vents covered and degrades with vents opened. As far as overall balance goes, I think BS-1 is better than White Ling for sure. But I personally would rate the White Ling slightly higher mainly because I don't find BS-1 excels in any particular area (even though the overall balance of all aspects is pretty good). I guess you can say it lacks just a bit of wow factor for me.
Thank you for the answer - my earbud-pull-the-trigger-finger still is not happy. In what does the White Ling excel and do you think it's "worth" the 40$ more compared to BS1?

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #29,378 of 75,077
Let get to the basic first: regular BK single-ended vs. balanced. As some of you BK owner knows, BK doesn't have the biggest soundstage around. Its strongest point is really in its mid (as I have seen some of you described it as being an "analog" sound). However, when in balanced and thanks to the complete channel separation, two things happen - First, the soundstage widens and deepens by around 10~15%. Not much by any means, but it is enough to rebalance the whole presentation without ruining the beautiful mid-range while gives a really "grand" feeling. In contrast, the regular BK often makes me feel just a bit too intimate. The second thing is that the bass range also tightens up a bit with a more solid and precise hit. Again, the improvement is small but just enough to rebalance the presentation. When we talk about ToTL earbuds that are neck and neck in SQ, I think these tiny bit of differences are enough to set things apart, hence why I always said that BK is really in its best element when driven in balanced.

Now let talk about BK blue and the magic of pure silver cable - the main difference between blue and the regular BK is that the pure silver cable has in a way 'corrected' the only weakness of BK, which as we discussed above is the fact that BK doesn't have a very big soundstage (*though the blue does more than that). Even in single-ended setup, blue's soundstage is already almost as big as regular BK in balanced. Adding to that, it also comes with more texture/detail over the entire frequency range, as if all the background notes in the regular BK are lifted to the front. This can be both a good or a bad thing depends on whether you like the original BK's presentation or not. If you really like BK's beautiful midrange, then the extra detail and texture can become somewhat of a distraction. However, If we were to forget about original BK all together, the blue on its own is still a really excellent sounding earbud despite sounding less "analog-ish" and more to the "rich" side of things. But when blue is driven in balanced, things take a turn of the worst - ever heard people say that something can become too much of a good thing? Well, it applies here. Instead of a mere distraction, it turns into somewhat of an "exaggeration" and takes away the main strength of the BK driver. In that sense, I really won't recommend BK blue for balance use. But for single-ended, I think it can consider a small upgrade over BK - small in the sense that regular BK is already a ToTL earbud and any room for improvement is naturally not going to be big unless someone starts making BK in quantum cable that completely destroy our understanding of reality.

Thank you so much, ClieOS!
Can you make the same comparison with Shozy Cygnus standard version, limited edition and Shozy BK (standart)?

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #29,380 of 75,077
The cygnus regular version lacks clarity to be compared to TOTL earbuds that’s all I will say. Going back to it from other earbuds I own it’s just a little dull in the details.

The signature is nice but the lack of clarity and smallish soundstage are not everyones cup of tea.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #29,381 of 75,077
The cygnus regular version lacks clarity to be compared to TOTL earbuds that’s all I will say. Going back to it from other earbuds I own it’s just a little dull in the details.

The signature is nice but the lack of clarity and smallish soundstage are not everyones cup of tea.
Have you heard the LE version Sean? Yuin shells fit me much better so I think I'm going to sell most of my MX500 shell styles and replace with one nicer Yuin style, still have a fuzzy place for the PK1!

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #29,382 of 75,077
Have you heard the LE version Sean? Yuin shells fit me much better so I think I'm going to sell most of my MX500 shell styles and replace with one nicer Yuin style, still have a fuzzy place for the PK1!
sorry have not, one in FS section now

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #29,384 of 75,077
Yep I know that's why I ask, itchy trigger finger. I guess I was hoping the silver cable would open up the soundstage a bit.
ClieOS mentioned it before if you try the search function you’ll find it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back