Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #29,221 of 75,075
I've seen anything from 25% to 38% savings so far

26rdz9.jpg

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #29,222 of 75,075
If the Samsara is down to €75/$92 as suggested above (yep it is!) then you may look at getting that one, that seems like a great deal!

Samsara is at 300 ohm might be hard for me to power when moving around, currently just using Fiio E17 awaiting for Zuperdac-S to ship. Unless I use my desktop dac/amp, but usually I prefer using headphones when on my desktop.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #29,224 of 75,075
The Utopia is definitely not syrupy! Quite the opposite, very quick and detailed. If you like the highs of the ZoomFred you would probably like the Utopia. The Utopia may not have enough bass for you though...... On the other hand, on tracks like Lorde's "Royals" the bass really comes through, and it is punch and clear rather than thumpy.

To Sean's point, I think there is a time and place for all. I listen to earbuds at work because although I am often in a noisy environment with pumps and equipment running, I have to be able to hear people in case they have a question or need something. It is also a safety issue if one cannot hear what is going on. I have a sort of a system for what buds are used when: If I'm doing something that allows sitting at a computer or whatever, I'll use a 'nicer' bud but one that can still be replaced (like a K's Samsara). If I'm doing something with chemicals or changing pump oil or anything where there is a reasonable probability of the buds getting damaged, then it is Vidos or Monk+ (though not a limited edition color!). :L3000: The more expensive and small batch buds are limited to home use. :wink: On the weekends, I really enjoy listening to the Utopias with their accompanying DAC and amp on a stand by my reclining sofa......... unfortunately it is only for a few hours a week, but to me it is really, really relaxing, and allows me to forget about work, etc. during that time.

I can't stop buying the budget stuff though because I love exploring the different sound signatures, and also really love getting stuff in the mail.......... if every time I got a package it was a TOTL headphone, I'd be divorced and have to sell everything to buy dog food. :dt880smile:

I would love to try the Utopia, but it's a bit out of my price range. Focal Clear is possible though! Just waiting for a used sale listing or retail price drop.

I use my earbuds exclusively for work. I've moved floors and now need isolation to block out the new noisy neighbors (not all the time though), or really need to concentrate. I prefer not to jack up the volume too much to drown them out, or I end up fatigued.

But after the recent purchases, I'm now considering Chi-Fi IEMs. TOTL buds already give me that resolution and clarity I seek, and now that heavy bass too with the new ZoomFred. I'll just look for something that isolates and performs well enough with a sound signature I like. I really don't need to drop so much for something I'll now mainly use to block out noise at work... (This is me convincing myself)

Curious about the iBasso IT01 and it's graphene driver. Reviews suggest they're sub-bass focused with a leaner mid-bass, so that's already an improvement for my tastes over the Beryllium phones that were the other way around.

I have the berryllium in my ears and don't find the syrupy

Probably the ear tips. They can have a noticeable influence on the sound.

Unfortunately, my right ear canal is so stubborn, that I have to use really small Spinfit tips to get anything to fit. I cannot fit anything larger, unless its a shallow fit like the 1MORE Quad. Those sat outside the ear canal. Would love to find something similar that also terminates to 2.5mm. I should post a thread and ask...

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #29,225 of 75,075
Beautiful but bulky wires, which amplifies the fit problem, catches easily on jackets/zippers/collars etc. earbuds popping out all the time. Along with being very source picky, they're not as portable as I had hoped. They basically sounds like two different earbuds through the Apple dongle and my Mojo. Even running the Dragonflys on my iPhone X, they were good but not great. Dragonfly with Tidal MQA on my laptop is superb though.

Good chance they'll pop up in the FS section this week/next.

EDIT: I know I am particularly picky with fit though, especially my left ear, it's just shaped weird. So take that for what it's worth. But the cables are overkill though, like the Grados equivalent. :joy:

How is it possible that we both have the SAME funny shaped left ear lol! You describe the exact same issue I have with earbuds that have thick or stiff cables. For example, the Snow Lotus 2.0 has a beautiful thick cable which I clip to my shirt, but the buds end up popping out of my ears quite frequently which unfortunately detracts from my personal enjoyment of them.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #29,226 of 75,075
Well a few budgets arrived today, The VE premium pack (Biggies, smalls and Monk Espresso) and Fengru DIY EMX500s. Time for burn in fun.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #29,227 of 75,075
How is it possible that we both have the SAME funny shaped left ear lol! You describe the exact same issue I have with earbuds that have thick or stiff cables. For example, the Snow Lotus 2.0 has a beautiful thick cable which I clip to my shirt, but the buds end up popping out of my ears quite frequently which unfortunately detracts from my personal enjoyment of them.
These are the only earbud I actually need to use a shirt clip, that splitter weighs a ton

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #29,228 of 75,075
The shirt clip in the quote below came with some JVC iems years ago. It was great, because it would adapt to cables of any thickness:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-devil-is-in-the-details-jvcs-new-iem-shirt-clip.494299/

It's so simple and yet so satisfying...

Makeshift button on the side of the clip opens the smaller clip far enough for a thick IEM cord.

Given the chance I would buy these in bulk.

Does anyone here know where to buy those in bulk? (I know that you can get one if you buy a jvc iem)

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #29,229 of 75,075
These are the only earbud I actually need to use a shirt clip, that splitter weighs a ton

I may be more sensitive to downward pressure/tugging. And it doesn't help that when I am moving around, I often wear the earbud cable up under my shirt to keep it out of the way, and that seems to create more downward pulling.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #29,230 of 75,075
I would love to try the Utopia, but it's a bit out of my price range. Focal Clear is possible though! Just waiting for a used sale listing or retail price drop.

I use my earbuds exclusively for work. I've moved floors and now need isolation to block out the new noisy neighbors (not all the time though), or really need to concentrate. I prefer not to jack up the volume too much to drown them out, or I end up fatigued.

But after the recent purchases, I'm now considering Chi-Fi IEMs. TOTL buds already give me that resolution and clarity I seek, and now that heavy bass too with the new ZoomFred. I'll just look for something that isolates and performs well enough with a sound signature I like. I really don't need to drop so much for something I'll now mainly use to block out noise at work... (This is me convincing myself)

Curious about the iBasso IT01 and it's graphene driver. Reviews suggest they're sub-bass focused with a leaner mid-bass, so that's already an improvement for my tastes over the Beryllium phones that were the other way around.

Unfortunately, my right ear canal is so stubborn, that I have to use really small Spinfit tips to get anything to fit. I cannot fit anything larger, unless its a shallow fit like the 1MORE Quad. Those sat outside the ear canal. Would love to find something similar that also terminates to 2.5mm. I should post a thread and ask...
The spinfits does enhance bass response and smooths out and peaky treble , for the berryllium i am using stcok tips , they are tuned to be natural, neutral with powerful bass and Dynamics,.

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #29,231 of 75,075

Unfortunately, my right ear canal is so stubborn, that I have to use really small Spinfit tips to get anything to fit. I cannot fit anything larger, unless its a shallow fit like the 1MORE Quad. Those sat outside the ear canal. Would love to find something similar that also terminates to 2.5mm. I should post a thread and ask

Another iem to consider is the TFZ King Pro also with graphene drivers. Based on reviews they are better than the IT01. I think they would have a huge discount, putting their price similar to the IT01. Also they have shallow fit, another point you might like.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #29,233 of 75,075
The shirt clip in the quote below came with some JVC iems years ago. It was great, because it would adapt to cables of any thickness:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-devil-is-in-the-details-jvcs-new-iem-shirt-clip.494299/

Does anyone here know where to buy those in bulk? (I know that you can get one if you buy a jvc iem)

Looks very similar to the one that came with Pinnacle P2, but I think it's a bit expensive.

http://www.meeaudio.com/ShirtClip-P1-MEE/.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #29,234 of 75,075

Saw a bunch of cheapo's on Ali, but not as good looking as that one.

Haven't bought anything since my VE splurge. Thought I was over buying earbuds, but starting to get the bug again. OCD strikes again!

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #29,235 of 75,075
Well a few budgets arrived today, The VE premium pack (Biggies, smalls and Monk Espresso) and Fengru DIY EMX500s. Time for burn in fun.
I'm waiting for my ve premium pack to arrive any day now. I also ordered the run about amp which came with free Zen lites. Can't wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back