Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #29,026 of 74,624
Not really, it depends on the (like any other earphones or headphones) impedance and sensitivity. If you're talking about the zen, then yes, it needs amplification

That's been my experience as well.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #29,027 of 74,624
Anyone considering taking the **** PT15 v2 apart to use the drivers elsewhere, don't. The way the drivers are glued in (and the earbud assembled), you will completely destroy the drivers getting it opened up :0(

On a related note, if anyone wants me to post photos of the graphene diaphragm, lemme know and I will take some.

Also, the PT15 magnet is extremely powerful. I have no way to measure it, but it is noticeably stronger than the average magnet of an identicaly-sized driver. This, in combination with the graphene diaphragm, is most likely why the low end on the PT15 v2 is as good as it is.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #29,028 of 74,624
I keep seeing: TOTL
Is this “top of the line” meaning the best a manufacturer makes?

Please explain. Thank you!
In the colloquial use here it just means a premium earbud, one of the best around. It may be the company’s best, or amoung their best. For instance the K’s Ling would be called a TOTL/Top of the line earbud, yet technically only the Poseidon would the their TOTL bud.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #29,029 of 74,624
The willsound mk2s I got are so good, that they easily blow all my other budget buds out of the water. I urge you all to grab a pair if you want the best bud for around $40 shipped...just a perfect all rounder, great fidelity, soundstage, tonality, bass...everything. I took a music appreciation course this quarter, and I could easily tell between the different microphones, masterings, etc. across eras. When people say his buds sound analog, they are not joking whatsoever.

Which is why it makes me very curious over the new willsound offerings. Does anyone have any information on the willsound mk3 or especially the new willsound mk1 version 2 from Earbuds Anonymous? I was originally wanting a mk3 with the new driver, but the newer mk1 version 2 sounds pretty good as a counterpart to my more neutral willsound mk2s. Rholupat seemed to be fairly impressed with the new mk1s.

I originally wanted a BS1 to step up, but i always use my earbuds on the go (sometimes while biking) so im not sure the cable would play well with me. The willsound mk2s sound so good even coming from a he-400i with ori pads and a thx-00 ebony...really entices me to buy more willsound :)
The BS1 is excellent once you tamper with the fit and foams but there’s some issue in tonality in the upper mids/lower treble im trying to sort out. It’s not noticeable on all tracks but once you here the ‘glare’ or compare with some other fairly neutral buds it’s obvious.

But... if you’re willing to tweak it for fit and if you can use an advanced EQ to sort to get it neutral, it’s a really really competent driver with the best depth and imaging I’ve heard at this price. My only real critique is the vocals bring a tad too relaxed, I’d prefer them to be a little more forward to separate them from the rest.

I really love it because I like a challenge and some modding haha, it’s totally worth the price.

If you’re looking for something that’s great out of the box and isn’t finicky at all, maybe grab a different earbud.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #29,030 of 74,624
Anyone considering taking the **** PT15 v2 apart to use the drivers elsewhere, don't. The way the drivers are glued in (and the earbud assembled), you will completely destroy the drivers opening it up :0(

On a related note, if anyone wants me to post photos of the graphene diaphragm, lemme know and I will take some.

Also, the PT15 magnet is extremely powerful. I have no way to measure it, but it is noticeably stronger than the average magnet of an identicaly-sized driver. This, in combination with the graphene diaphragm, is most likely why the low end on the PT15 v2 is as good as it is.

The two things that can be destroyed are membrane and coil wires. If it's the wires, it's fixable with regular soldering. Membrane on the other hand, small wrinkles can easily be brought back to their regular shape but other than that, nothing can be done. I've actually managed to fix 10mm graphene driver of Aulgamour RT-1 IEM but unwinding a bit of coil wires and soldering them back to the board on the back - tricky because stuff is so small but not impossible.

In fact, this gives me opportunity to give you my interaction with EMX500 drivers. They started crackling over time like so many people have reported, many solutions have been proposed that sometimes work temporarily but never fully.
What happens is a bit bizarre - the driver moves so much that when truly pushed with bass/sub bass they end up touching the front plastic cover and this creates very small indentations in the membrane. A few of these can disfigure the whole membrane out of place so that a part of coil wires isn't properly seated around magnet and at this point the membrane will always crackle even with moderate volume. All of this is fixable if you can open them, take the driver, gently separate membrane and gently go over wrinkles with something soft (I used a small piece of silicone from an eartip). Everything magically gets back in place.

EMX500 is amazing probably because the membrane is so light, but it's a flawed design in fact due to MX shells being.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #29,031 of 74,624
The BS1 is excellent once you tamper with the fit and foams but there’s some issue in tonality in the upper mids/lower treble im trying to sort out. It’s not noticeable on all tracks but once you here the ‘glare’ or compare with some other fairly neutral buds it’s obvious.

But... if you’re willing to tweak it for fit and if you can use an advanced EQ to sort to get it neutral, it’s a really really competent driver with the best depth and imaging I’ve heard at this price. My only real critique is the vocals bring a tad too relaxed, I’d prefer them to be a little more forward to separate them from the rest.

I really love it because I like a challenge and some modding haha, it’s totally worth the price.

If you’re looking for something that’s great out of the box and isn’t finicky at all, maybe grab a different earbud.

Ha! Some chinks in the BS1 armour! :wink:

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #29,032 of 74,624
The two things that can be destroyed are membrane and coil wires. If it's the wires, it's fixable with regular soldering. Membrane on the other hand, small wrinkles can easily be brought back to their regular shape but other than that, nothing can be done. I've actually managed to fix 10mm graphene driver of Aulgamour RT-1 IEM but unwinding a bit of coil wires and soldering them back to the board on the back - tricky because stuff is so small but not impossible.

In fact, this gives me opportunity to give you my interaction with EMX500 drivers. They started crackling over time like so many people have reported, many solutions have been proposed that sometimes work temporarily but never fully.
What happens is a bit bizarre - the driver moves so much that when truly pushed with bass/sub bass they end up touching the front plastic cover and this creates very small indentations in the membrane. A few of these can disfigure the whole membrane out of place so that a part of coil wires isn't properly seated around magnet and at this point the membrane will always crackle even with moderate volume. All of this is fixable if you can open them, take the driver, gently separate membrane and gently go over wrinkles with something soft (I used a small piece of silicone from an eartip). Everything magically gets back in place.

EMX500 is amazing probably because the membrane is so light, but it's a flawed design in fact due to MX shells being.

Nah, it's buggered up beyond being worth the time it would take to repair it.

If it was a more expensive set I would fix it (I've fixed full size headphone drivers in the method you described).

Luckily the PT15 is dirt cheap - I just ordered another set. I'll save the PT15 shells though (MMCX etc), and eventually throw in some drivers from Aliexpress.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #29,034 of 74,624
@Slater took the little grilles off my MS16's and I am impressed they do sound better, moar bass!!!!

Yeah, really cheap upgrade! Glad you like the results :)

It's a pity that they put such a restrictive grille on there that's basically decoration, yet it kills the sound.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #29,036 of 74,624
Getting a gift for my buddies? Which variant of the EMX500 that I should get? Is it a step up from Vido?
Thanks
Honestly get the vido and save yourself some cash. Some prefer one some the other, more like a sidegrade to most. I preferred the emx500 but honestly I didn’t give the vido huge time before I broke mine trying to do a cable swap. Might grab another soon just to have it in my kitbag for sports or jogging.

If you wanna get the emx500, the newer S variant is only around $2 more expensive and has gotten some positive feedback so maybe try that one.

But the novelty of having a $3 earbud that’s pretty good is a nice novelty and handy to have on hand, plus you can get the mic version of the vido assuming they will be used with smartphones (the mic version has the normal type cable).

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #29,037 of 74,624
Honestly get the vido and save yourself some cash. Some prefer one some the other, more like a sidegrade to most. I preferred the emx500 but honestly I didn’t give the vido huge time before I broke mine trying to do a cable swap. Might grab another soon just to have it in my kitbag for sports or jogging.

If you wanna get the emx500, the newer S variant is only around $2 more expensive and has gotten some positive feedback so maybe try that one.

But the novelty of having a $3 earbud that goods pretty good is nice, plus you can get the mic version of the vido assuming they will be used with smartphones (the mic version has the normal type cable).

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Opening a can of worms. What about RY4S?
I'm ok with the vido since I'm using it, it's warm ( can listen to long hours ) and bass/sub bass is good

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #29,038 of 74,624
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Opening a can of worms. What about RY4S?
I'm ok with the vido since I'm using it, it's warm ( can listen to long hours ) and bass/sub bass is good
Emx500 i found warmer than the vido which I found pretty neutral in tone and with more bass presence in the mid bass.

Emx500 is pretty much boosted sub bass and slightly boosted treble, with relaxed mid bass and mids.

Not sure about the S version some say more balanced others seem to contradict that view saying it’s more full and bassy.

RY4S was described as having more mid bass than emx500 with same level of warmth.

There’s the Yincrow x6 which may or may not be a vido driver with a better cable and more extras’s, although that’s said to have a bicelluose driver and im not sure if the vido has that...

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #29,039 of 74,624
Which variant of the EMX500 that I should get? Is it a step up from Vido?

The EMX500 is a big upgrade from the Vido's

- Real Sub bass
- Wider Soundstage
- Nice highs

If you're a basshead: Here (Just make sure you get the clear shell version) It's crazy, I have the black version and it lacks the bass...odd.
If you are more into classical / vocal: Here

Either one is a considerable upgrade.

Source: Me that owns almost the whole earbud collection, lol.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #29,040 of 74,624
The EMX500 is a big upgrade from the Vido's

- Real Sub bass
- Wider Soundstage
- Nice highs

If you're a basshead: Here (Just make sure you get the clear shell version) It's crazy, I have the black version and it lacks the bass...odd.
If you are more into classical / vocal: Here

Either one is a considerable upgrade.

Source: Me that owns almost the whole earbud collection, lol.
hmm I had a black variant but from another seller, the bass was deep and impactful but a little slow for my liking.

High’s were crisp and fairly clear. Mids were nothing to right home about but the tonality was good.

Your advice is more relevant than mine since I have not had these earbuds on hand for months to hear them now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back