Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #28,996 of 75,072
Got my ZoomFred's in. Out of the box, I already find these pretty impressive. Bass and soundstage is what surprises me the most. Can't wait to burn these in. The bass already sounds better than the CampFred's, which is already a step above the QFred's. Cypherus seems to have nailed the tonality with these. Makes me REALLY curious about the CAX Red Dragon more now lol. Also, makes me wonder why I have so much trouble with IEMs and headphones.

Wow! Now I really want to buy ZoomFred! I come from the other end, wondering how ZoomFred sounds like when compared to Red Dragon. Herry said it's not in the same league as Red Dragon but more portable. I want something that is like a "baby Red Dragon" but more portable so that I can bring it outside, and also not worry about them breaking. ZF is more than half the price of Red Dragon so it wouldn't feel as bad if they broke while using them outside.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #28,997 of 75,072
Wow! Now I really want to buy ZoomFred! I come from the other end, wondering how ZoomFred sounds like when compared to Red Dragon. Herry said it's not in the same league as Red Dragon but more portable. I want something that is like a "baby Red Dragon" but more portable so that I can bring it outside, and also not worry about them breaking. ZF is more than half the price of Red Dragon so it wouldn't feel as bad if they broke while using them outside.
how much are they actually? I’m definitely considering buying these as my first cypherus buds.

@ctaxxxx Maybe check out the RBH HP2 headphone it’s beryllium and portable for $150. Saw it mentioned somewhere before and praised for its bass quality without muddying the mids or high’s.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #28,998 of 75,072
how much are they actually? I’m definitely considering buying these as my first cypherus buds.

The price I got when I asked was $249 excluding shipping. Shipping from Indonesia to Europe has been the big problem since it is best to choose EMS (around $40 to Sweden).

My family is going to Japan in June for 2 months and Herry told me that he might go to Japan in June. If it works out I might be able to meet up with him in Tokyo and buy ZoomFred directly from him.

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #28,999 of 75,072
Every time you upgrade, the more expensive it gets. When something 3x the price of your TOTL earbuds doesn't meet your expectations, it's hard not to be disappointed. Not to mention a huge waste of money if you're unable to get a full refund. At this point, all I'm looking for though is something that provides isolation, portability, and comparable sound quality, all without dropping a fortune.

The headphones I got just drowned you in mid-bass and thick mids, despite resolving details with high fidelity. Quality bass at high quantities is really hard to do without washing out all the other frequencies, which I understand. The beryllium phones have been getting good reviews, but it's just the tuning I can't get behind.

It's not stiff. Nothing like the CAX Black, especially after the splitter, since the cables lose the thick covering.
Maybe cardas a8

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #29,000 of 75,072

damn, this song (and album)...had goosebumps everytime...

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #29,001 of 75,072
damn, this song (and album)...had goosebumps everytime...

Thanks for that.

In 1994 I saw Jeff Buckley twice in Michigan. The first time was at the Gem Theater in Detroit (not sure if it is still there). We had a table quite near the stage. I could not believe how many beautiful guitars he had on stage. I don't remember which song but at one point he was holding a note...and he held it... and he held it...and then he looked at his watch... and held it some more. :) A sly sense of humor :) Afterwards I met him backstage and he signed my CD.

The second time was at the Ann Arbor Ark, a wonderful small venue where I have seen many of my favorite artists. Brenda Kahn opened and also accompanied him on some songs. You mentioned goosebumps. That is because HE really feels the songs when he sings. During one song you could see how emotionally engaged he was. At the end he burst into tears.

That was when the ark was in an older location from where it is now... only 150 person capacity. The newer Ark which opened not too long after seats around 400. I spoke to him after the show. He said he remembered me but I don't think he really did.

Such a talented artist. A beautiful and gentle soul. Music died for me for awhile after he died. It is difficult for me emotionally to listen to him with headphones... maybe I should try buds. I have not done that yet.

Info about the Ark from their page (just in case anyone here lives close enough to go):

The Ark is Michigan’s nonprofit home for folk and roots music. Considered one of the top music clubs in the world, The Ark is renowned for the quality and breadth of its programming. The Ark is an intimate 400-seat club presenting performers ranging from young up-and-comers to classic figures of the folk genre. With live music over 300 nights each year in one of the best listening rooms anywhere, The Ark is a sure bet for a memorable evening of enriching entertainment, musical artistry, and personal warmth.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #29,002 of 75,072
Got my ZoomFred's in. Out of the box, I already find these pretty impressive. Bass and soundstage is what surprises me the most. Can't wait to burn these in. The bass already sounds better than the CampFred's, which is already a step above the QFred's. Cypherus seems to have nailed the tonality with these. Makes me REALLY curious about the CAX Red Dragon more now lol. Also, makes me wonder why I have so much trouble with IEMs and headphones.

Now I got to complain for a second here... I bought some $800 beryllium(-coated) headphones recently and have been pretty disappointed with them (sold my CampFred 2 for them as I needed a bassy alternative with isolation for work). Already getting ready to return them... Nothing much seems to hit the sweet spot for me between bass-thumping musicality, analytical fidelity, and plain neutrality. It's always leans too much in one direction. The only thing that has nailed it are my Diomnes Lvl2, Cypherus buds, and Sony MDR-Z1R. One is absurdly more expensive than the other!

I have some beryllium IEMs coming tomorrow, but honestly, I'm already prepared for disappointment. I'm starting to consider buying some ear muffs or something and use that to block sound while using earbuds.

Really interesting on the early impression on the ZF.

Sad to hear about your Beryllium headphone turned out to be disappointment. The only transducer that wont dissapoint most people in general is gotta be Utopia ( the best dynamic headphone I have ever tested ). But it is different price range and utilises pure Berryllium diaphragm as opposed to coated one.

On the other hand, that is why we are all here in earbud territory. Cheers

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #29,003 of 75,072
Thanks for that.

In 1994 I saw Jeff Buckley twice in Michigan. The first time was at the Gem Theater in Detroit (not sure if it is still there). We had a table quite near the stage. I could not believe how many beautiful guitars he had on stage. I don't remember which song but at one point he was holding a note...and he held it... and he held it...and then he looked at his watch... and held it some more. :) A sly sense of humor :) Afterwards I met him backstage and he signed my CD.

The second time was at the Ann Arbor Ark, a wonderful small venue where I have seen many of my favorite artists. Brenda Kahn opened and also accompanied him on some songs. You mentioned goosebumps. That is because HE really feels the songs when he sings. During one song you could see how emotionally engaged he was. At the end he burst into tears.

That was when the ark was in an older location from where it is now... only 150 person capacity. The newer Ark which opened not too long after seats around 400. I spoke to him after the show. He said he remembered me but I don't think he really did.

Such a talented artist. A beautiful and gentle soul. Music died for me for awhile after he died. It is difficult for me emotionally to listen to him with headphones... maybe I should try buds. I have not done that yet.

Info about the Ark from their page (just in case anyone here lives close enough to go):

The Ark is Michigan’s nonprofit home for folk and roots music. Considered one of the top music clubs in the world, The Ark is renowned for the quality and breadth of its programming. The Ark is an intimate 400-seat club presenting performers ranging from young up-and-comers to classic figures of the folk genre. With live music over 300 nights each year in one of the best listening rooms anywhere, The Ark is a sure bet for a memorable evening of enriching entertainment, musical artistry, and personal warmth.

wow.. thank you for sharing... i didn't expect to hear a story from someone who had actually met him..

i was late to the party. I've only discovered his songs after he passed, instead i listened and played the more energetic music of his peers, like the Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc.

now i always have his albums on every phones, ipod, and PCs that i have. Listening to his voice, you must know the feeling that you're gonna cry and smile at the same time? that's how i feel about him. that man went too early and too sudden. may he find peace in the afterlife..

for me, the first time i literally cried at the news of an artist passing was when Kurt Cobain died

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #29,004 of 75,072
The price I got when I asked was $249 excluding shipping. Shipping from Indonesia to Europe has been the big problem since it is best to choose EMS (around $40 to Sweden).

My family is going to Japan in June for 2 months and Herry told me that he might go to Japan in June. If it works out I might be able to meet up with him in Tokyo and buy ZoomFred directly from him.

Your going to Japan for 2 months im so jelly. Are you being sent over there by your company to do some work over there?

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #29,005 of 75,072

Now I got to complain for a second here... I bought some $800 beryllium(-coated) headphones recently and have been pretty disappointed with them (sold my CampFred 2 for them as I needed a bassy alternative with isolation for work). Already getting ready to return them... Nothing much seems to hit the sweet spot for me between bass-thumping musicality, analytical fidelity, and plain neutrality. It's always leans too much in one direction. The only thing that has nailed it are my Diomnes Lvl2, Cypherus buds, and Sony MDR-Z1R. One is absurdly more expensive than the other!

I have some beryllium IEMs coming tomorrow, but honestly, I'm already prepared for disappointment. I'm starting to consider buying some ear muffs or something and use that to block sound while using earbuds.

Congratulation on your ZoomFred. Unlike other Cypherus earbuds, ZoomFred is using cryogenic treatment cable same as Red Dragon. Thus burn in time is take longer. Based on my experience, it will take over than 150 hours. The sound change over the period of time will be big that is easily noticable. Please don't feel dissappointed when it change becoming bad during burn in process. It will start to stabilize after 300 hours.

Also, I just want to point out to be carefull when using low impedance earbuds with current type amplifier as it will damage the structural of dynamic driver. Just my 2 cents of advice.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #29,006 of 75,072

Hi danneq,
I will visit Japan first week of july. Keep you posted...

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #29,007 of 75,072
Congratulation on your ZoomFred. Unlike other Cypherus earbuds, ZoomFred is using cryogenic treatment cable same as Red Dragon. Thus burn in time is take longer. Based on my experience, it will take over than 150 hours. The sound change over the period of time will be big that is easily noticable. Please don't feel dissappointed when it change becoming bad during burn in process. It will start to stabilize after 300 hours.

Also, I just want to point out to be carefull when using low impedance earbuds with current type amplifier as it will damage the structural of dynamic driver. Just my 2 cents of advice.

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by your second statement. Been driving these with the DX200's AMP4 module. Is that overkill? Can someone elaborate?

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #29,008 of 75,072
Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by your second statement. Been driving these with the DX200's AMP4 module. Is that overkill? Can someone elaborate?
I think some smartphone have too much output voltage for most earbuds as they are designed with headphones in mind or maybe it's simplier to have a more generous voltage output for most gear on the basis on being universally suitable for different gear.

DAP`s are usually more contious about this in most cases I think, having lower output voltage to use with portable gear or possibly some smarter way of controlling the output depending on the impendance of the gear.

I'm not sure where audio focused phones like lg v20 etc fall into this theory but I imagine it's on a phone by phone basis.

This is what I've heard anyway. I'm not sure how or if output voltage and output impendance correlate but you definitely want low output impendance for sensitive gear in terms of it not affecting the frequency response and low output voltage to keep your peace of mind that your gear isn't gonna be damaged.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #29,009 of 75,072

Current Amplifier is build to drive big loudspeaker thus application in portable audio is not suitable. But, some manufacturing have made some modification to be suitable for portable audio.

Current amp to my opinion is suitable best for BA driver.

I don't have DX200 DAP, thus I can't comment on this

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #29,010 of 75,072
As long as it is a portable audio player and portable amplifier, it is safe enough and sufficient to be driving any earbuds out there.

@Cyperus do you mean Zoomfred is better driven by voltage drawn type of amplifier (high output impedance) in terms of sound quality or the safety of the dynamic driver? Because your statement on the current amplifier (low OI) being more suitable for BA driver is generally true due to less susceptible to mess up with the tonal shifting of the mutliple BA crossovers. Therefore, sound quality is favored on that case. However, I'm not so sure which case holds for the Zoomfred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back