Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 14, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #28,966 of 74,615
Ok I had to google it because I’m not a star trek fan lol. I assume you’re talking about this?!

Spock_with_earpiece.jpg

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #28,967 of 74,615
I like the PMV B01 Aoede,

Ok, the PVM B01 Aoede will be my bud for this afternoon. They have been neglected as people kept talking about others that I just had to try...some newer models... some older... I think I have too many buds but there are none that I would give up.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #28,968 of 74,615
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #28,969 of 74,615
Ok, the PVM B01 Aoede will be my bud for this afternoon. They have been neglected as people kept talking about others that I just had to try...some newer models... some older... I think I have too many buds but there are none that I would give up.
Those buds look beautiful. Really pull of the classy liebesleid/poseidon look in a budget friendly option. Hope they sound as good as they look.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #28,970 of 74,615
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #28,972 of 74,615
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #28,973 of 74,615
Anyone with the BS1 official capable of providing measurements of frequency response compensated for human ear?

I know it’s a big ask but I’m trying to get them dead neutral and there’s some sort of glare/emphasis in the upper mids I want to eliminate with EQ.

Not sure if these measurements are even possible to accurately obtain for earbuds as they are for headphones?

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #28,974 of 74,615
Oh this is one of my earliest reviews! I am sorry that it is not as refined as my current reviews.
Do let me know if you need any advices. Appreciate the support! :)
what is your personal favorites earbuds? like top three?:L3000:

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #28,975 of 74,615
Been a long time since I choose from this box of earbuds with the exception of F150TS!

How many boxes like that do you have and what are those in the photo?

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #28,976 of 74,615
what is your personal favorites earbuds? like top three?:L3000:
It will be 1.Penon BS1 Official 2.Rose Masya/HiFi Boy Dream 3.Astrotec Lyra Collection
How many boxes like that do you have and what are those in the photo?
I have 2 boxes including this. My IEM collection is bigger :beyersmile:
Many earbuds ranging from TY Hi-Z F300M to Black Lion!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #28,977 of 74,615
I bought some very thin paper filters (its actually medical mask filters) for my HD540 headphones to tame the treble and upper mid harshness based on a suggestion I read before, and they arrived today. I have plenty spares which got me thinking... What if I cut some of the filter paper to fit under a thin foam on my Masya. Truth be told I pretty much abandoned my masya in favour of the BS1 recently because I just couldn’t get it to sound right. Thin foams were too treble heavy and downright screechy, thick foams dulled the whole midrange and made the low mids weak and mid bass bloated.

So I grabbed the aliexpress thin foam, and pushed the little filter inside (no easy feat...) and after fiddling with it for a few minutes I finally got them in place over the driver front.

So I grabbed my LG V20 and fired up some tunes (Pink Floyd - Meddle). As soon as I hit play on the track ‘fearless’ I was smiling...

Who knew this earbud both hates thick foams and needs them at the same time? But now I can enjoy the transparency and clean detail of the thin foams which help bring texture and authority to the mids, yet still maintain a smooth airy treble response.

Now these are right back up there with the BS1, I was considering selling them (my second pair) until this moment!

I still suggest well mastered music for these as they will sound revealing/harsh of lower quality stuff but saying these are transformed is pretty fair from my original setup.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #28,978 of 74,615
Anyone with the BS1 official capable of providing measurements of frequency response compensated for human ear?

I know it’s a big ask but I’m trying to get them dead neutral and there’s some sort of glare/emphasis in the upper mids I want to eliminate with EQ.

Not sure if these measurements are even possible to accurately obtain for earbuds as they are for headphones?

Earbud measurement doesn't look like IEM's, as you need to understand the open nature of an earbud means their FR curve needs to compensate a lot more 'leak' on the lower end and thus they all look like they have a lot of bass, which of course isn't what you will hear actually.

Anyway, here is BS-1 Official, diffused field compensated.

BS1 FR.png

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #28,979 of 74,615
Earbud measurement doesn't look like IEM's, as you need to understand the open nature of an earbud means their FR curve needs to compensate a lot more 'leak' on the lower end and thus they all look like they have a lot of bass, which of course isn't what you will hear actually.

Anyway, here is BS-1 Official, diffused field compensated.

Thank you! and you obviously know much more than I do about measurements but I’m trying to learn as I go along. Just one question. I see some graphs target for 0db as a baseline (everything closer to it is ideal in the lower frequencies and there seems to be a natural rise around 2k and a fall beyond that) then I see other graphs which seem to be using a completely different db level as a ‘baseline’.

On this particular graph is it useful to grade ‘neutrality’ in relation to some db level or is it more important to just look at the general balance of the response.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #28,980 of 74,615
PMV B01 Aoede didn't do anything really to grab my attention, but I should give it another listen. Then again I will always lean more towards a fun-centric over neutral all things being equal. Probably why I didn't really get much out of the Yinman 600, although I did love the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back