Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 10, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #28,891 of 75,077
@seanc6441 I took your recommendation and cut off the foams to allow the back port to "breath" on the BS1 Official. All owners should do it. Became bit more brighter... and mid treble is more forward.

If the transparent silicone pad is attached to Penon BS1, the back port of BS1 will be blocked.
In order to avoid this, it would be good to cut out the hole from the transparent silicon pad to allow the back port to breath.
But I attached the Silicone Ring (SENNHEISER 538215) first and mounted the transparent silicon pad on it.
As aresult BS1 's diameter becomes larger (almost same diameter as MX500), so the backport is appearing naturally.
As its effect, the sound quality became brighter and the bass sounded stronger.
I post this as a reference.

http://aliexpress.com/item//32795511476.html

BS1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #28,892 of 75,077
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #28,893 of 75,077
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #28,894 of 75,077
That is interesting. Fengru brand is what started the whole EMX500 craze the first time
And how was the brand FENGRU rated ?

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #28,895 of 75,077
I don't know about their other product. The emx500 is up there with the vido and monk in the budget hall of fame, though I don't know if the recent ones are still the fengru's

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #28,897 of 75,077
And how was the brand FENGRU rated ?

They have a million of different models of buds and IEMs. Their EMX500 is one of the best budget bud, there are some impressions about their HYCK100 which is a beautiful mid-tier earbud with respectable sound. Most of their products don't really reach head-fi, not many people are buying them, maybe because this brand is still almost fully unknown.
There are some impressions about their hybrid IEMs which are also very positive. Overall, outside of rattling issue with EMX500, there is nothing bad to say about Fengru.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #28,898 of 75,077
Hi fellow head-fiers, I will be travelling to Malaysia next week. Anyone here who has some earbuds to share and is kind to meet with me around Johor area. I'm most interested with the BS1, Shozy BK, the Campfreds, Masya, Liebelisleid (wishful) and the like. I will be bringing my phones and DAPs with me if anyone is interested. A PM is much appreciated. Thanks!
Johor too south from my place. Haha can't make it. Maybe ask ClieOS?

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #28,899 of 75,077
Mine started to become listenable @120hrs. :wink:
That is worrying. The CampFred 2s definitely opened up with use, but they didn't sound bad out of the box...... just not their best. Are the ZoomFreds really unlistenable? I won't like that, as I am not really a burn in type of gal....... I just listen and either burn in is real, or they do or don't grow on me.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #28,900 of 75,077
That is worrying. The CampFred 2s definitely opened up with use, but they didn't sound bad out of the box...... just not their best. Are the ZoomFreds really unlistenable? I won't like that, as I am not really a burn in type of gal....... I just listen and either burn in is real, or they do or don't grow on me.

I can only tell you my experience. Yes, to me they were unlistenable right out of the box. Too harsh and bright. Now @130hrs, the harshness is almost gone, but they´re bright, even with my Sp1000 Copper. They´re bright, open and have clear mids, with tight and fast bass. If you don´t like this sound sig, you better look elsewhere.....

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #28,901 of 75,077

Hard to believe that something would change from unlistenable to awesome. I do the burn in to maintain credibility in certain threads :) Just finished putting over 200 hours on my IT01 ibasso IEMs as demanded! No idea what if anything changed.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #28,902 of 75,077
I had an awesome moment earlier this morning that reminded me why earbuds can be so awesome despite (as well as because of) their lack of isolation.

It was a rainy morning where I am, and I was lying in bed using my new Fiio X5iii -> Hi-Z HP-650 (which reminds me, I need to update my sig) to listen to a wonderful new track I discovered:

In this track, there is some sort of instrument that plays constantly in the right channel (if I was to relate it to soundstage, it sounded like it was to the right and behind me). The instrument reminds me of a cowbell (played in a 'muted' way so that it doesn't resound), but I'm not certain if that's what it is. This is instrument #1.

In the left channel, on the opposite beat of the cowbell, there's a tambourine being played. Soundstage-wise, it sounds like it is to the left and back, perhaps opposite to the bell directionally. This is instrument #2.

As the track goes on, despite the singer's marvelous voice and the beautiful strings and piano that swell from time to time, in my 'buds at least, I can always keep track of those two instruments whenever they are played. In fact, I was doing something of a listening exercise and trying to focus on different instruments for long periods of time (gotta exercise that active listening!)

At a certain point, I became aware of a third instrument that was being played that sounded like it was being played "between my ears", a bit back, and to the right (closer to the bell than to the tambourine). For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was, just that it sounded like a solid "tap" that, although it was being played to its own rhythm, did a great job of offsetting the other instruments. I started pulling that into my active focus and keeping track of it as instrument #3 along with instruments #1 and #2.

Imagine my shock when, after the song ended and I found I was still hearing instrument #3 playing loud and clear, I realized that instrument #3 was nothing more than a single raindrop continuously falling from the gutter edge outside and above my window onto a brick below. A simple sound, but it sounded right at home in the song.
Even though I love full-sized headphones, and I have some IEMs on the way, there are some things they just can't do as well. Sometimes letting noise in is exactly what is wanted/needed. :)

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #28,903 of 75,077
Hard to believe that something would change from unlistenable to awesome. I do the burn in to maintain credibility in certain threads :) Just finished putting over 200 hours on my IT01 ibasso IEMs as demanded! No idea what if anything changed.

Not many does that, but some instances (like the TY HI-Z 32, and my late Cayin N3) turns for the better after a couple of hours play.

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #28,904 of 75,077
I had an awesome moment earlier this morning that reminded me why earbuds can be so awesome despite (as well as because of) their lack of isolation.

It was a rainy morning where I am, and I was lying in bed using my new Fiio X5iii -> Hi-Z HP-650 (which reminds me, I need to update my sig) to listen to a wonderful new track I discovered:

In this track, there is some sort of instrument that plays constantly in the right channel (if I was to relate it to soundstage, it sounded like it was to the right and behind me). The instrument reminds me of a cowbell (played in a 'muted' way so that it doesn't resound), but I'm not certain if that's what it is. This is instrument #1.

In the left channel, on the opposite beat of the cowbell, there's a tambourine being played. Soundstage-wise, it sounds like it is to the left and back, perhaps opposite to the bell directionally. This is instrument #2.

As the track goes on, despite the singer's marvelous voice and the beautiful strings and piano that swell from time to time, in my 'buds at least, I can always keep track of those two instruments whenever they are played. In fact, I was doing something of a listening exercise and trying to focus on different instruments for long periods of time (gotta exercise that active listening!)

At a certain point, I became aware of a third instrument that was being played that sounded like it was being played "between my ears", a bit back, and to the right (closer to the bell than to the tambourine). For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was, just that it sounded like a solid "tap" that, although it was being played to its own rhythm, did a great job of offsetting the other instruments. I started pulling that into my active focus and keeping track of it as instrument #3 along with instruments #1 and #2.

Imagine my shock when, after the song ended and I found I was still hearing instrument #3 playing loud and clear, I realized that instrument #3 was nothing more than a single raindrop continuously falling from the gutter edge outside and above my window onto a brick below. A simple sound, but it sounded right at home in the song.
Even though I love full-sized headphones, and I have some IEMs on the way, there are some things they just can't do as well. Sometimes letting noise in is exactly what is wanted/needed. :)

I really can relate to that. I often listen to some new songs and find a sound that is interesting,, only to find that it's my son humming/singing or playing random stuff from his 3DS or YouTube:dt880smile:

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #28,905 of 75,077
Hey does anyone still have a new packet of original VE ex pack foams? The one with the original thin foams (without the black/white variants, only red and blue).

I’d really like to have another pack of those. PM me if you have one you’re willing sell. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back