Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #28,741 of 74,632
@seanc6441 , it's quite amazing how RX-1 keeps coming up every now and then.
I get why some people dislike them, you really need to spend time finding the best way to fit them, but when you do, they end up being very valuable. I really enjoy them, but only sometimes when I feel like it, it's quite a special sounding bud imho. It gets better the more you listen to them but sound strange when being compared.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #28,742 of 74,632
First video

Masya 5/5 (extension of high’s, clear and vivid, captures the dynamics perfectly)

BS1 5/5 (nearly as extended, dynamic and clear, deeper soundstage gives a more impressive powerful presentation of the build up)

RX1 4.5/5 (Clear, slightly struggling with dynamics and extension, not as powerful.)

Second video

Masya 4/5 (Has the extension needed and sounds clear but lacks some depth in soundstage and imaging. Sounds are wide but confined to two planes/2D area’s left and right so to speak, not as smooth sounding as bs1)

bs1 5/5 (nothing to say other than its perfect, deep powerful clear and makes the song more exciting and the 3D imaging is noticeable)

RX1 3.5/5 (really struggles with this kind of music which strains the extension of bass and high’s . Imaging is good though, very natural.
I like the emx500 or the X6 (though the X6 mids are a bit recessed, its sub bass and treble extension are excellent, X6's soundstage is wide, a little high, and a little deep). Emx500, to me, has a big airy soundstage (most 3D imho) with lots of separation between the instruments that suite big, grandiose music like this (after listening, I also like the K's 300 with these, too -- though the EMX500's sub bass is a bit deeper).
thank you guys for sharing your opinions

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #28,743 of 74,632
I get why some people dislike them, you really need to spend time finding the best way to fit them, but when you do, they end up being very valuable. I really enjoy them, but only sometimes when I feel like it, it's quite a special sounding bud imho. It gets better the more you listen to them but sound strange when being compared.

Couldn't agree more. I was pretty disappointed with them at first, threw them back in their packaging, and returned a month or so later. Spent some time rolling foams and was surprised I was listening to the same bud. The stubby housings really do make them extremely fit dependent. More so than most buds in my limited experience.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #28,744 of 74,632
Yeah I think it has a peak somewhere between 2-3k and if you EQ down that area the tonality becomes natural.

That’s why I think it sounds ‘digital’ or artificial in stock, Female vocals sound off until EQ’d.

If the source is tuned with a slight U shape or if you EQ up the deep bass and upper treble a few DB this also helps balance out the sound, being slightly mid centric by default.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #28,745 of 74,632
I’ve just applied the thin tape mod to MX760 new graphene and it actually improved the sound. The sound image is more coherent, there’s more depth and details, bass response is firmer. I suppose it’s the result of a better seal.

I’m shooting all those wicked sheriffs with Bob Marley as I type. No mercy!

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #28,746 of 74,632
Thanks to the suggestion of Artpiggo I will probably go for the Vivo Xplay 6 smartphone. Or look at the Hiby R3 (little bro of the R6) it looks really nice!

The Xplay 6 is described like a slightly warmer more euphoric version of LG V20. The V20 is really nice just lacks some warmth and low mid lush quality in low impendance earbuds. But it’s still very good overall.

I recommend ONKYO GRANBEAT to you.
Unlike other smartphones, it has a communication / camera function added to DAP (ONKYO DP-X1), so it has a reputation that it is clearly superior in terms of sound quality.
However, since it is a Japanese product, you need to check if it has a communication band available in your country.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #28,747 of 74,632
Couldn't agree more. I was pretty disappointed with them at first, threw them back in their packaging, and returned a month or so later. Spent some time rolling foams and was surprised I was listening to the same bud. The stubby housings really do make them extremely fit dependent. More so than most buds in my limited experience.
I recommend ONKYO GRANBEAT to you.
Unlike other smartphones, it has a communication / camera function added to DAP (ONKYO DP-X1), so it has a reputation that it is clearly superior in terms of sound quality.
However, since it is a Japanese product, you need to check if it has a communication band available in your country.
I think it cost considerably more? I can get an xplay6 for €450 or Hiby R3 I think will be €200-250.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #28,749 of 74,632
@seanc6441 and @chinmie I respect your opinion as obviously I never heard the BK but let me ask another question, does the cygnus have the same sound sig as the BK. If different, how different? Also, what qualities does the cygnus and bk have in common? From what I have heard so far, the graphene sounds very close to the cygnus.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #28,750 of 74,632
I’d have to weigh up the benefits of higher end dap when using streaming services like spotify which are limited by android (except for the new hiby daps) so it may not be worth it for my use.

The hiby R3 is really tempting, it doesn’t run android though and only tidal is confirmed so far, not sure if it will even get spotify support.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #28,751 of 74,632
@seanc6441 and @chinmie I respect your opinion as obviously I never heard the BK but let me ask another question, does the cygnus have the same sound sig as the BK. If different, how different? Also, what qualities does the cygnus and bk have in common? From what I have heard so far, the graphene sounds very close to the cygnus.
Cygnus is more neutral (bk is slightly warmer and more naturally lush/thick) , has a mid bass bump and slightly more sub bass and treble roll off, imaging and separation isnt as crisp. Vocals are less full and textured.

The bk is like 10-20% better in every regard except soundstage is pretty much the same size.

It’s not so much the quality difference between graphene and bk (although that’s the case too) but the tuning is different to my ears. I think the graphene’s are not consistent, maybe yours is more balanced than mine. My $29 nicehck graphene is a little V shape with overpowering mid bass, sharp treble and recessed mids. The BK is pretty linear and even other than a slightly emphasised lower mids/mid bass it’s quite balanced and very natural sounding.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #28,753 of 74,632
I feel that the soundstage is wider and deeper on the stardust
Yeah it’s deeper for sure, forgot about that. I think the thickness of vocals makes the soundstage seem smaller or near the same but maybe it’s slightly bigger overall. The cygnus is quite shallow sounding in comparison though, like the sound has one layer, the bk/masya can reach a second and the bs1 a third depth :)

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #28,754 of 74,632
Idk im correct or not but i have tried cygnus of my friend's and compared to my nicehck diy pk2 , my diy pk2 seems close sounding to cygnus ,sweet and warm and mid section is forwarded and thick seems bit analog to me and didnt harsh at all , soundstage has bit smaller but it make the sound intimate and engaging ,to me cygnus win at all sector though like good bass impact ,separation and cygnus vocal more airy and natural to me than diy pk2 , i think its good to worth upgrade from diy pk2 to cygnus , and BK never heard too but it seems to be good totl earbuds

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #28,755 of 74,632
Idk im correct or not but i have tried cygnus of my friend's and compared to my nicehck diy pk2 , my diy pk2 seems close sounding to cygnus ,sweet and warm and mid section is forwarded and thick seems bit analog to me and didnt harsh at all , soundstage has bit smaller but it make the sound intimate and engaging ,to me cygnus win at all sector though like good bass impact ,separation and cygnus vocal more airy and natural to me than diy pk2 , i think its good to worth upgrade from diy pk2 to cygnus , and BK never heard too but it seems to be good totl earbuds
Yes the same upgrade can be heard from cygnus to bk (I own all 3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back