Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 20, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #19,036 of 75,148

Clip on earphones are great! After earbuds, it is my second favorite design. I've got Audio Technica ATH EM9d, Dunu DN-C60II, JVC HP-AL600-B, Pioneer SE-EX9, Victor HP-AL700 & Yuin G2A.

Yuin G2A was especially great for around $35-40. Too bad they discontinued it (you can still find the high impedance G1A which costs well over $100).

KSC75 is on my list but I'm not in a hurry. My main focus is (TOTL) earbuds...

It'd be a shock if supplies of ksc dried up anytime soon. I think you're good :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #19,037 of 75,148
After finding KOSS KSC75 ear clip headphones, I'm giving up ear buds... Sorry, everyone. :frowning2:

I will keep my favourite pairs that work best with the player I have and then sell the rest on the used forums as a package deal.

Traitor:wink:, hey whatever works for you, if the KOSS clip ons work then enjoy them, I was tempted by them but not sure in what scenario they'd be better than any of my buds or Hd668b.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #19,038 of 75,148

Here are a pictures of latest version of Masya which is in term of SQ is worse than original one IMO.

I thought I would post an additional reply to this. I had my Masya come in from Penon this morning, quite impressed so far. I wanted to note the screen on the drivers I received are not those shown above. Mine have the small holes throughout the screen, as in the original, not the minimized holes shown above.  One note regarding fit, they are tougher to fit than the simpler Yuin buds and many others out there (for me, anyway). It seems the diameter is actually a touch smaller than the Yuins. It kept slipping in my left ear, not sitting well. So I added a Yuin donut foam under the full Rose foam, finding this is helping (still note quite perfect). Unsure if there's a sound difference. May make sense to try a thin strip of electrical tape, or similar, around the circumference of the driver. Anyway, enjoying these so far.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #19,039 of 75,148
Traitor:wink:, hey whatever works for you, if the KOSS clip ons work then enjoy them, I was tempted by them but not sure in what scenario they'd be better than any of my buds or Hd668b.

Koss KSC75 to me has the best 3D sound imaging for watching movies, you should try it since it cost only $15...it stays with my PC at all time pairing with O2 ODAC/AMP...

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #19,040 of 75,148
  @fade2blak @knudsen
I couldnt give up the opportunity to mod my fav budget buds, the SHE3800 and right now they are bass monsters. Not exactly sure if that was what i am looking for and there seem to be some compromise on the mids. Gotta try the @ozkan mod when i get home!

Gave it a new cable and jack too - effect is much larger than I expected. Everything seems much clearer, also the mids it seems. The perfect work out bud for me:) Gotta listen some more though, and compare to unmodded ones when they arrive... Gotta say though, the damn pins where one solders are small... had to use 2 jacks, the first one became one large piece of solder. Hope it can be cleaned up.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-one-pair-viablue-3-5mm-Stereo-Mini-Connector-Gold-Plated-Plug-for-DIY-headphone/32754958372.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sales-1-2M-DIY-Replacement-wire-Audio-Cable-Headphone-Repair-Headset-Wire-DIY-Headphone-Earphone/32703915783.html

Btw, at first I put a horseshoe in there, taped to the unit. There is some kind of horseshoe in the shell, but I don't think it keeps tight. As expected, it killed the bass, or at least it became much lower and very tight/dry... it was'nt a bad bud, I just remembered I like bass
tongue_smile.gif
 But maybe it would give half the effect covering only half of the holes.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #19,041 of 75,148

Gave it a new cable and jack too - effect is much larger than I expected. Everything seems much clearer, also the mids it seems. The perfect work out bud for me:) Gotta listen some more though, and compare to unmodded ones when they arrive... Gotta say though, the damn pins where one solders are small... had to use 2 jacks, the first one became one large piece of solder. Hope it can be cleaned up.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-one-pair-viablue-3-5mm-Stereo-Mini-Connector-Gold-Plated-Plug-for-DIY-headphone/32754958372.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sales-1-2M-DIY-Replacement-wire-Audio-Cable-Headphone-Repair-Headset-Wire-DIY-Headphone-Earphone/32703915783.html

Good work, let the DIY spirit spread 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #19,042 of 75,148
  Koss KSC75 to me has the best 3D sound imaging for watching movies, you should try it since it cost only $15...it stays with my PC at all time pairing with O2 ODAC/AMP...

They cost me $30.00 online (incl. taxes) in Canada and that's cheap because the local store wanted $15.00 more. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #19,043 of 75,148
  Get more ksc's, a cheap soldering iron and a lot of premade cables...

This times I don't know how many million. The cable and jack they use are complete junk. Keeps the price down though. I was actually thinking of picking up a pencil iron and some cable to learn and play with the 7 or 8 broken pairs I have lying around. I know they have a lifetime warranty but it would cost me more to send them back then just buy another pair. I should have gave up but I just love that KSC75/35 sound to much. Apparently they are good starting place to learn how to fix and replace cables.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #19,044 of 75,148

Btw, at first I put a horseshoe in there, taped to the unit. There is some kind of horseshoe in the shell, but I don't think it keeps tight. As expected, it killed the bass, or at least it became much lower and very tight/dry... it was'nt a bad bud, I just remembered I like bass:tongue_smile:  But maybe it would give half the effect covering only half of the holes.

Sounds like something interesting i can venture into lol. The ozkan mod i did with the blue tack near the wires to block out the hole and coupled that with blocking 2 outer holes with cotton seem to make the sound better. It creates a very atmospheric music which resonates in a tight area which i kinda enjoy, and if i can describe its like recording in a small studio.

But i still think for the best bass performance, its probably just the stock with upgraded cables and maybe closing one of the vents at the back.

Anw i think the benefit of modding is that we can keep trying until the earphone produces something that our ears enjoy :D

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #19,045 of 75,148
Received my B160 this morning. Will have a listen today and make some comparisons to my B320 :) the delivery box looked pretty badly bashed up. Lucky the earbuds are in the small blox case/box. So they would take a bit to crush with all the bubble wrap etc.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #19,047 of 75,148
  I know they have a lifetime warranty but it would cost me more to send them back then just buy another pair. I should have gave up but I just love that KSC75/35 sound to much.

Really? How much does Koss want to send you a new replacement KSC75? That's sad to hear.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #19,048 of 75,148
Received my B160 this morning. Will have a listen today and make some comparisons to my B320
smily_headphones1.gif
the delivery box looked pretty badly bashed up. Lucky the earbuds are in the small blox case/box. So they would take a bit to crush with all the bubble wrap etc.

Great! My B320 should reach me anytime now, very excited. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #19,050 of 75,148
As I'm getting more playing hours on my K's 500 I really must say I love them! They sound so effortless, really good bass response and extention but leaves all the space for the rest of the frequencies - nothing seems to interfere with eachother. Not distracting bass cannon bass, but controlled and really adding to the liveliness and ambiance of the music, wether I'm playing electronic stuff or listening to a bass guitar in a band. Really fleshes out the sound and together with the airiness earbuds are known for gives me that full-speakers-in-my-ear experience. Extremely detailed, very good spacial ques (big soundstage with really good seperation between different sounds) without being distracting or fatigueing. Doesn't matter what I throw at them, everything sounds good, and even though I do EQ them a bit (I bring the mids up just a tad) , they are tuned really well and really don't *need* EQ. I 'only' ended up paying something like 78$ for them after asking for a discount, and whilst they arent the best value for money compared to some lower tier budget kings, I'm really happy I got them. Perhaps in TOTL buds they are btw, but I haven't heard others like TY HP-650 or SeaHF 650 (not to mention the Indonesian buds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back