Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 14, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #18,858 of 75,148
  hey guys i just purchased the rose masya and burned it in for around 50 hours now, so far it sounds amazing and its really good. If only I knew earbuds was better suited to my preference than IEM's then I would've gone the earbud route wayy wayyy before. It rivals even the TOTL IEM's when it comes to overall sound resolution and soundstage at just 1/10 of their prices.

The Rose Masya is really good, but for a classical/orchestra/intrumental listener like me, would the Rose Mojito would be a decent upgrade over it??
Or are there any other high end earbuds that would beat it. I'm a treble head and soundstage addict. I like bass but I won't care as long as it has good soundstage and treble.

Price isn't an issue, I purchased lots of 800$ + IEM's and I would never look back again after hearing how amazing earbuds are. 

Can't really tell you which earbud can beat Masya but I think you could have a lot of fun just trying these earbuds:

Astrotec Lyra6
AuGlamour RX-1
Blue Ever Blue 328R
HifiMan ES100
Moondrop VX Pro
Red De'mun
**** PT15
Sennheiser MX 985
Toneking Ting
Toneking TKY2

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #18,861 of 75,148
  Can't really tell you which earbud can beat Masya but I think you could have a lot of fun just trying these earbuds:

Astrotec Lyra6
AuGlamour RX-1
Blue Ever Blue 328R
HifiMan ES100
Moondrop VX Pro
Red De'mun
**** PT15
Sennheiser MX 985
Toneking Ting
Toneking TKY2

thanks! I have a PT15 on the way and I'm pondering whether to buy the Tomohawk Z or Ting, because they say they're almost the same with the tomahawks having better bass. I really like the design of the MX985 but can't seem to find any sellers anymore. There is one selling here for 700$ though lol

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #18,862 of 75,148
  thanks! I have a PT15 on the way and I'm pondering whether to buy the Tomohawk Z or Ting, because they say they're almost the same with the tomahawks having better bass. I really like the design of the MX985 but can't seem to find any sellers anymore. There is one selling here for 700$ though lol

$700!?!? That's insane! I sold my pair of MX985 for around $150 with shipping included a few months ago. No use to bother if you have to pay over $200 including shipping. And I really like the sound of MX980/985.

I find Tomahawk to be great. It has got an overall balanced sound with slightly boosted highs. Still I do not find them overly bright even if I am quite sensitive to that. Ting has got a more distanced sound. It sounds like you are further away from the music than with Tomahawk. Ting sounds more refined while Tomahawk sounds more "in your face".

If you are a treble head you could always ask Indonesian ABnormal Labs if there is a way to get a pair of Diomnes Lv2. It is based on the original Monk. If you find a pair of original Monk you can always send it to them and have them mod it. I paid $180 for my pair of Diomnes Lv2 and it was totally worth it. They are far from Rose Mojito or **** PT15 when it comes to bright treble, but the treble is still definitely in focus and very detailed. To my ears Diomnes Lv2 easily beats other TOTL earbuds such as MX980/985, Mojito or K's 500 ohm. I do prefer the Cypherus earbuds to Diomnes, but that's because they have a sound signature I prefer (more laid back and neutral without being "flat sounding").

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #18,863 of 75,148

Tomahawk and Ting share some similarities but still they sound very different. Personally I prefer Ting but Tomahawk became sort of classic earbud so you can try it as well. I got my MX 985 from Korea (Gmarket) - where you could find the last worldwide NOS but I have just checked there and I'm afraid these are sold out already.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #18,864 of 75,148

If you don't mind me asking where are you located? I'm debating selling my MX985 but haven't decided yet.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #18,865 of 75,148
  Its weird how last year Seahf earbuds were all the rage and how now their is no love. Seems to me like Seahf has been almost completely superceded by TY Hi-Z. I know its not worth to walk this path again but its still not clear to me what's the connection between Seahf & TY (if any) 
confused_face(1).gif

SeaHF = Bug Guys = Hi-Z's OEM.

TY / Hi-Z get their earbuds from Bug Guys, and Bug Guys tunes his earbuds to fit TY / Hi-Z's need. SeaHF is just the brand name Bug Guys used.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #18,866 of 75,148
Question, has anyone been able to compare the CampFred to the Shozy BK? Curious about the difference in the tuning between the two. Thx!

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #18,869 of 75,148
If you are a treble head you could always ask Indonesian ABnormal Labs if there is a way to get a pair of Diomnes Lv2. It is based on the original Monk. If you find a pair of original Monk you can always send it to them and have them mod it. I paid $180 for my pair of Diomnes Lv2 and it was totally worth it. They are far from Rose Mojito or **** PT15 when it comes to bright treble, but the treble is still definitely in focus and very detailed. To my ears Diomnes Lv2 easily beats other TOTL earbuds such as MX980/985, Mojito or K's 500 ohm. I do prefer the Cypherus earbuds to Diomnes, but that's because they have a sound signature I prefer (more laid back and neutral without being "flat sounding").

to my ears my diomnes is quite big v shaped sound..even more so than the edimun rho. i am using it with full foams though, and using the edimun with thin VE's

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #18,870 of 75,148
Question: What are your thoughts on 'ohm-series" earbuds?

So its pretty interesting that there are all these sellers that have lines of earbuds with no distinction other than "ohm" levels. I am talking about brands like: Ty Hi-Z, K's Earphone, Seahf, Faaeal, Yinman, and I'm sure there are others that do it or something similar (the ve line are kind of divided by different ohm levels). Its an interesting phenomenon, and niovel to me (does it maybe come from iem's or is it qunique to earbuds?). 

But after talking to another user here there is some confusion. Do each of these lines maintain quality throughout the different models? Is K's earphone, for example, all tuned the same, are Faaeal? Why are the lower bud ohms generally cheaper and less well regarded/rated/coveted (all the more puzzling since according to major manufacturers the impedence , or ohm-level, is not the deciding factor in quality). 

I noticed the TY line is quite different at least in the difference between the 32 and 150. They share almost no similarities other than the mx500 housing, the sound sigs are night and day different). 

It does make it difficult to shop for buds in the same line, for instance I was touring FAAEAL 32 and someone said they would compare their impressions with FAAEAL 64, however, I'm not sure that would work after my experiences with the ty line being so different, even in the general sound.

If you have any answers,  questions, concerns, insights over this phenomena it would be interesting to hear as it would assist others in their future purchases. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back